Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Leon Barnett

"Is the wind up?"

Why would it be? He was exceptional today.

Sadly I just think he is too prone to mistakes to cut it in the prem.

No he wouldnt have been prem class. Never will be. Thats why he joined wigan and not a prem team. What was he doing on 1st goal. Marking no-one, in no mans land. Makestoo many mistakes at high levels. Great champ player just like all those we let go in the summer. Championship players, thats why no prem teams came in for them.

[quote user="Eadie4England"]No he wouldnt have been prem class. Never will be. Thats why he joined wigan and not a prem team. What was he doing on 1st goal. Marking no-one, in no mans land. Makestoo many mistakes at high levels. Great champ player just like all those we let go in the summer. Championship players, thats why no prem teams came in for them.[/quote]Well he just played exceptionally well against Man United (A Prem Club last time I checked)Best Wigan player on the pitch by a mile.

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Exacly a one off game where united didnt even get outta first gear[/quote]I am merely making an observation and asking a question. No need to be so hostile !

Exactly cardiff when in champ and wigan in the champ. If he was prem class im sure cardiff would have signed him.

Without wishing to cause an argument (another) can anybody dispute that Leon Barnett was that much short of Premiership class.

He was just short in all surety but it does beg the question as to what Premiership class is because there are more than one or two central defenders in that league who are not as influential or ''classy'' as LB ...... IMO.

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Exactly cardiff when in champ and wigan in the champ. If he was prem class im sure cardiff would have signed him.[/quote]Didn''t they try but we refused because we didn''t want to sell to direct competition?

He was not first choice here and wanted first team games. He is pretty much assured of that in the Championship so good luck to him.

As for today''s game, it was pretty crap wasn''t it? How people can moan about some of our pre-season games after that display I''ll never know.

Barnett is class but seems to make one big error per game. That''s probably the margin between him being a Championship player and well... and England international. It''s a big weakness though. Got to remember that it wasn''t just Hughton that left him out of his plans, Lambert started with Barnett and soon lost faith in him. 
Just another victim of our progress though, because he was clearly the best centre back we''d had for years when he arrived here. 

He has all the physical attributes but unfortunately tends to swith off in games. Against strikers with good movement he gets a bit lost in my opinion. I think he''s better than Ryan Bennett at this stage of his career but hoping Bennett will improve with age...

He''s better than Turner in my opinion , Turner is a liability, and makes far too many mistakes which invariably cost us goals, hope Mr Hughton gets a decent centre half in to give us competition , hopefully putting Turner down the pecking order.

[quote user="nick oakley"]He''s better than Turner in my opinion , Turner is a liability, and makes far too many mistakes which invariably cost us goals, hope Mr Hughton gets a decent centre half in to give us competition , hopefully putting Turner down the pecking order.[/quote]
Did you by any chance watch the first five league games of the season and then miss the next the next thirty three?

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Didn''t Turner get plenty of votes on Player of the Year or am I dreaming[/quote]
He won Players Player of the Year, chosen by his teammates. 

He''s a good player but he relies on his physical abilities to heavily to get him through rather than out thinking the opposition and in the premier league the margins are just to fine for that to work often enough, abit poor in possession and distribution isn''t great either. Bennett is the better player imo, just.

In modern football centre backs have more time on the ball than any other position. Any club looking to play progressive, possession- orientated football must de- facto have centre backs who can initiate patterns of play by ensuring constructive passes into midfield receivers and be able to move play to opposite sides when midfield avenues are shut off. Barnett has a tendency to look down onto the ball when receiving it, belying the fact that he is not completely comfortable with his technique. He is subsequently over careful with his distribution - for the same reason - meaning the process if release takes half a second longer than necessary on each occasion. This small detail has little relevance in the championship, but at higher levels allows opposition midfielders to move into tighter positions and pressure eventual receiver quicker, telegraphing the chosen option.

I''d say that could apply to Turner on occasion too. We could really do with either a new right back meaning Martin can concentrate on becoming a CB or a new Centre back with more quality on the ball.

At the moment, i''m comfortable with Bassong partnered with any of our centre backs, but as soon as he''s injured, i get a bit worried. Perhaps his preseason injury is a blessing in disguise and has given the others valuable time to work on their partnerships?

Barnett week in week out was out of his depth in the EPL albeit he was capable of having a good game. He was excellent in the championship. Bennett will turn out to be our top CB in time and I like Turner and Bassong. Turner struggles if he is short of match fitness. Will we give Ayala a go? , not that long since we gave him a 4 year contract so Lambert saw something in him. I sense we will get another good one in though

He had some good games for us in the premiership. he is strong, mobile and good in the air. He is however inconsistent and somewhat error prone which you can;t really afford at the top level. On his day, premiership class but 50% of the time championship class. Would have been worth keeping as back up but suspect the move to Wigan is a good solution for all concerned.

[quote user="Eadie4England"]No he wouldnt have been prem class. Never will be. Thats why he joined wigan and not a prem team. What was he doing on 1st goal. Marking no-one, in no mans land. Makestoo many mistakes at high levels. Great champ player just like all those we let go in the summer. Championship players, thats why no prem teams came in for them.[/quote]

Just like Grant Holt isn''t a Premier League player?