Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Whatever Happened to the Colchester two ?

Was just thinking back to the bad old days and were wondering whatever happened to the Colchester two ?

Those hardy souls that invaded the pitch and tossed their season tickets at Mr Gunn.

How long were they banned for ?

Do they still support city ?

Do they take credit for what happened after ?

Life time bans I think. Deserved, lucky the really fat one didnt get public indecentcy as well as his trousers were practically at half mast by the time he had waddled over to the dug out !

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Life time bans I think. Deserved, lucky the really fat one didnt get public indecentcy as well as his trousers were practically at half mast by the time he had waddled over to the dug out ![/quote]

When you think of some of he things that happen on and off the pitch life time ban a bit harsh on reflection. A mini rebellion from the stands and Gunn forced out.

H

The bans were apt because it stopped others following suit. What if one of the bright sparks ran down there with something more than their season tickets? Anyone in the dugouts could''ve got hurt. Obviously that''s unlikely but people can be unpredictable.

Well I was armed with a samurai sword and a few hand grenades but the stewards restrained me.

Seriously, a lifetime ban seems a bit harsh for a bit of (probably) booze-fuelled passion taking over the logical reasoning of it all.

No condoning it but I have a tendency to love a passionate canaries, even embarrassing ones, rather than pillory them.

We forgave Delia after all, or did she deserve a lifetime ban? Think about it.

They weren''t actually given a lifetime ban, they were given an ''indefinite ban'', which I assume left the door open for a second chance at some stage.
When the ban occurred the man reason for the anger from McNally seemed to be the financial cost of the incident which he put at a ''five figure sum'', because the club were required to undertake an independent inquiry and employ more police on matchdays.... at a time when we were skint.
So there was more than just bruised egos. A lifetime ban would be harsh, but five years would be justified in my opinion. 
Remember that they didn''t get a football ban, I don''t think, just a Carrow Road ban. So they could still travel to away games. 

Forgot to add, that I know somebody who claims to have seen them at an away game that very season. 

The club should consider themselves lucky that it wasn''t a ''Colchester two thousand'' really. They got off lightly. The look on Gunn''s face was priceless, he crapped his pants. It was Lambert who faced up to them.... which in hindsight was a good indicator of which one was spineless. 

I spoke to the son a couple of weeks ago. I don''t know him but met him through work. He said he has regretted it every day since. Especially as he has missed some of the best moments in our history!!

[quote user="Zak Van Burger"]+1 forgiver here.

A lifetime ban for objecting to being served up that steaming pile of poo seems harsh.
[/quote]

Ah Zak, but you (I presume) have the kudos of a good after dinner story, of saying ''I was there, the day we sunk to our lowest''

(Just trying to gleam a positive out of a negative!)

The New Boy (Le Juge) wrote the following post at 06/08/2013 4:49 PM:

The club should consider themselves lucky that it wasn''t a ''Colchester

two thousand'' really. They got off lightly. The look on Gunn''s face was

priceless, he crapped his pants. It was Lambert who faced up to them....

which in hindsight was a good indicator of which one was spineless. 

I know gunny was a crap manager but have some respect for him. The guy

is a city legend. These sort of comments are a joke. He was NO1 goal

keeper for some of our best moments in the modern era. Some fans are

either too young ( so should not comment) or are far to forgetful. Just

a reminder that same man turned out for norwich v qpr a couple of days

after his daughter died, yes died of leukemia. Some hard men would

crumble if that happened. You define hard man?  The new boy must be nails ............................

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]

The New Boy (Le Juge) wrote the following post at 06/08/2013 4:49 PM:

The club should consider themselves lucky that it wasn''t a ''Colchester

two thousand'' really. They got off lightly. The look on Gunn''s face was

priceless, he crapped his pants. It was Lambert who faced up to them....

which in hindsight was a good indicator of which one was spineless. 

I know gunny was a crap manager but have some respect for him. The guy

is a city legend. These sort of comments are a joke. He was NO1 goal

keeper for some of our best moments in the modern era. Some fans are

either too young ( so should not comment) or are far to forgetful. Just

a reminder that same man turned out for norwich v qpr a couple of days

after his daughter died, yes died of leukemia. Some hard men would

crumble if that happened. You define hard man?  The new boy must be nails ............................[/quote]
So you bump a four day old thread and make my username massive, all so you could attempt to put me on a guilt trip because his daughter died 21 years ago? Apparently in internet world I can''t laugh at his deer in the headlights look because something tragic happened two decades ago? 
I had great respect for him as a player, the death of a child is always tragic. Neither of those things obligate me to say only nice complimentary things about him, to imply otherwise is pathetic. I didn''t even say anything offensive. To illustrate this....
..... If I wanted to go in heavy I''d mention the alleged assault of Ian Crook, the bitterness that he had over his dismissal (despite likely being compensated), the move that he engineered to Man City for his son, the cringeworthy way that he got the job because of a facebook campaign by his daughter, the signing of the worst keeper we have ever had despite him having been a goalkeeper himself, the signing of numerous awful players like Goran Maric, and if I wanted to really go in below the belt I would mention this: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ex-football-stars-cancer-charity-shut-2067896
But yeah, very good player. 

You really do come across as a bit of an idiot New Boy. Bryan Gunn, earned his stripes as a true canary legend, through his playing career, through his triumph over adversity in his personal life, throughthe work he has done for charity etc. I find it incredible on this message board, that when a player or manager fails professionally with Norwich City, we can''t just stick to be critical of the football side of things, it always has to turn personal. Most of us don''t know these people that we''re accusing of being "spineless" or such like from adam so i find it very harsh on them as individuals. I''m sure we all hate it when we''re judged, and, no, being in the people eye doesn''t give people the right to do that in my view. Bryan Gunn was a poor manager for us, but he was an incredible goalkeeper and a good man to boot.

I suspect just like the modern day justice system unless they are special cases, life doesn''t mean life these days. Give it a another few years and the club may let them back in?

Anyway whos to say they haven''t been to games on the quiet, in different stands, someone else bought them tickets or went in the away fans area?

As for Bryan Gunn, that shi*e doesn''t need bringing up again. The guys a club legend, but was unsuitable for the managers job but becuase of his affinity for Norwich City FC, (great name don''t change it like that plank at Hull has!!!!) he was never going to turn the job down when the previous underperforming, clueless board offered it to him partly cause of they''d run out of ideas and partly casue it was a cheap option!!

Even though Gunn wasn''t cut out for the managers job I still maintain that even had he stayed in charge for that League1 campaign we''d of still been in or close to the top 6!   

Nice one Kingsway, summed up nicely/.

As for the "Colchester two", I would actually support their ban being lifted after they first attend five HOME games at Poorman Road, thats worse than any lifetime ban! 

The new boy ...Firstly I don''t look at this website daily and I don''t post often hence the four days. Secondly I used the death of his daughter as an example as why gunny is not "SPINELESS" you called him spineless not me. Yes he got it wrong as a manager. Did I want him to be manager... no. Did I want him to do well er yes the guy is a legend end of. The connection he had with city fans as a player was on par with  holty and hucks when they played for us. The presence of the big man in the sticks and the run up to the barclay to head the bar before the game. Great saves in massive games. MR gunny was Norwich''s adopted son.If it went pete tong this season and hucks was asked to fill in as manager and we got relegated would you slam hucks  aswell?

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]
If it went pete tong this season and hucks was asked to fill in as manager and we got relegated would you slam hucks aswell?
[/quote]
He wasn''t asked to "fill in", he was appointed until the end of the season and then accepted the job on a permanent contract after failing miserably.
The question is void because we are in the Premier League, where you can only manage for more than twelve weeks if you possess a UEFA Pro License, something which both Gunn and Huckerby are unlikely to currently possess.
As it happens I believe that Huckerby would do a better job than Gunn, at least he is coaching (the Under 16''s), Gunn was a commercial manager who had clearly opted not to pursue coaching as a profession. 
Gunn would have retained a lot of his respect if he''d turned down the permanent job after having massively failed to inspire the players to have a real go at avoiding relegation. He didn''t though did he? Peter Grant did the right thing by walking without compensation as soon as he realised that he wasn''t cut out for the role. The whole disaster was really the fault of the board who appointed him in the first place of course, it was an embarrassing appointment and we were a laughing stock. 
But appointing the commercial manager to manage the first team and appointing the Under 16 coach who is progressing through his badges to manage the first team are completely different scenarios, club legend or no club legend. I''d like to think that if we needed a caretaker manager it would be Neil Adams though wouldn''t you?
He did do one good thing of course, he signed Grant Holt, and that was probably the only thing which tempted Paul Lambert to join seeing as he missed out on him that same summer.

He did do one good thing of course, he signed Grant Holt, and that was probably the only thing which tempted Paul Lambert to join seeing as he missed out on him that same summer.

Are you suggesting that Lambert walked out on Colchester because he felt that the opportunity to manage Grant Holt was too good to turn down?

You don''t think he might have seen the opportunity to manage a club of our stature and infrastructure in comparison to Col U as a contributory factor?

Not to mention any incurred payrise?

[quote user="Warren Hill"]He did do one good thing of course, he signed Grant Holt, and that was probably the only thing which tempted Paul Lambert to join seeing as he missed out on him that same summer.

Are you suggesting that Lambert walked out on Colchester because he felt that the opportunity to manage Grant Holt was too good to turn down?

You don''t think he might have seen the opportunity to manage a club of our stature and infrastructure in comparison to Col U as a contributory factor?

Not to mention any incurred payrise?[/quote]
Are you implying that Paul Lambert has personally and privately made you privy to his innermost thoughts and that you can therefore comprehensively debunk my theory based on hard evidence rather than purely speculative conjecture? 

"the only thing ......."

that is probably one of the most idiotic claims on this forum in many a long year

[quote user="City1st"]"the only thing ......."that is probably one of the most idiotic claims on this forum in many a long year[/quote]
Almost as idiotic as claiming that Steve Bruce was once the manager of Newcastle. 

What I''m implying TNB, is that your claim that Lambert walked out on his job at Colchester because the opportunity to manage Grant Holt was too good to turn down, is probably THE most stupid thing I''ve ever read on here.

That''s unfair, there have been some really stupid things posted, though I''m struggling to think of one in particular that would be on a par with that.

What''s even more funny is that rather than admitting that you posted before you engaged your brain, you try and stick by your ludicrous claim.

Priceless.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]What I''m implying TNB, is that your claim that Lambert walked out on his job at Colchester because the opportunity to manage Grant Holt was too good to turn down, is probably THE most stupid thing I''ve ever read on here.

That''s unfair, there have been some really stupid things posted, though I''m struggling to think of one in particular that would be on a par with that.

What''s even more funny is that rather than admitting that you posted before you engaged your brain, you try and stick by your ludicrous claim.

Priceless.[/quote]
How about I expand on it and word it differently....
... If Grant Holt was not at the football club at the time at which we offered the managerial position to Paul Lambert, he may not have been optimistic enough about our promotion prospects to consider the Norwich job as the right one for his career and may instead of preferred to hold out until an alternative opportunity presented itself. I base this purely speculative theory on the basis that the only other strikers at the club were McDonald, Cureton, and Martin, and that Colchester had been priced out of  move for Grant Holt as a result of our bid. 
Perhaps it isn''t quite so idiotic when you think about who Grant Holt would likely have been playing for if we hadn''t of signed him..... and that was Colchester. Do you think that Lambert would have walked out on Colchester and Grant Holt for Norwich and Jamie Cureton? 
I don''t. If you think that is idiotic then fair enough, what fairer thing is there for me to say?