Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

City' is a lousy identity

"My dislike for the word ''City'' is because it is common. I want the club to be special.

"It is about identity. ''City'' is a lousy identity. Hull City Association Football Club is so long.

"In the commercial world, the shorter the name, the better. The more it can spread quickly."I have always used short names in business. It gives you power in the

science in marketing. The shorter, the more powerful the message. In

Tigers, we have a really strong brand."

So says Hull City AFC club owner Assem Allam on why the current name will be scrapped & why it will be renamed Hull City Tigers.Bloody foreign owners just don''t get it, do theyhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23629379

[quote user="Making Plans"]"My dislike for the word ''City'' is because it is common. I want the club to be special.
"It is about identity. ''City'' is a lousy identity. [/quote]

That sounds like the sort of thing you''d hear coming from an inferior ''Town''...[:D]

Please not another ''rebranding''. Look at the upset with Everton''s logo, Cardiff''s colours and badge. Usually driven by people who do not understand football.

2 threads on this but nobody gives an actual reason this plan won''t work. There are plenty of snarky comments, but nothing specific about why you don''t like it. What''s wrong with adopting the name Tigers? Is it any worse than Gunners, Red Devils, or names that aren''t even words like Latics or Pompey?

[quote user="Houston Canary"]2 threads on this but nobody gives an actual reason this plan won''t work. There are plenty of snarky comments, but nothing specific about why you don''t like it. What''s wrong with adopting the name Tigers? Is it any worse than Gunners, Red Devils, or names that aren''t even words like Latics or Pompey?[/quote]

Now please don''t take offence but it is called history and heritage Houston something which we treasure and value this side of the pond.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]2 threads on this but nobody gives an actual reason this plan won''t work. There are plenty of snarky comments, but nothing specific about why you don''t like it. What''s wrong with adopting the name Tigers? Is it any worse than Gunners, Red Devils, or names that aren''t even words like Latics or Pompey?[/quote]Its ripping up over 100 years of local history and tradition in a desperate attempt to whore themselves out for the plastic pound of hypothetical foreigners who are infinitely more likely to gloryhunt the top clubs. History and tradition are important, its what separates human beings from animals and americans.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]2 threads on this but nobody gives an actual reason this plan won''t work. There are plenty of snarky comments, but nothing specific about why you don''t like it. What''s wrong with adopting the name Tigers? Is it any worse than Gunners, Red Devils, or names that aren''t even words like Latics or Pompey?[/quote]

The thing is, Gunners, Red Devils etc. are nicknames, not part of the team name.

[quote user="Wazzy van Donkeydangler"]

The thing is, Gunners, Red Devils etc. are nicknames, not part of the team name.

[/quote]

That''s right. What they are doing is like us changing from ''Norwich City Football Club'' to ''Norwich Canaries''. Anybody fancy that?

Who buys into all this? Surely an asian gambler has no care as to the name of the club? Chances of Hull gaining a hardcore American fan base are also zero. Plus much like MK Dons, they become a laughing stock within English football.

If Norwich ever did something similar i would hope to see an FC Norwich or the like pop up immediately!

Presumably rebranding division 2 into "The Championship" has worked miracles. How is another question though. Is it easier to sell the rights to Singapore? God knows!

I´m not an old git, but old enough to know that it is division 2, we are in division 1 and league 2 is actually a basement called division 4.

All it does is to show that football has moved far too far into pure money making. I´m sure all Norwich fans are proud that we still have such strong links to our community. I´d rather be Norwich City in division 4 than be the Aviva Canaries FC in the Super Elite Pissy Lager/Corrupt Bank League.

Dandy Mountfarto wrote - "Its ripping up over 100 years of local history and tradition in a desperate attempt to whore themselves out for the plastic pound of hypothetical foreigners who are infinitely more likely to gloryhunt the top clubs. History and tradition are important, its what separates human beings from animals and americans."

Which will make it even more hilarious when they get relegated.

So we are or are not the Norwich City Canaries? That criticism made no sense.

Some balanced comments make sense but the overly dramatic stage queens having hissy fits about this are just laughably naive. "Ripping apart 100 years of history," for example.

As was pointed out, Championship is just Division 2. I don''t think that led to get he collapse of the FA. It''s a bit annoying but so be it for us old schoolers.

I''m glad it''s not us doing it, but I don''t begrudge the owner of Hull trying to expand his team''s appeal in the blossoming Asian market. If it does work, get used to it cuz it''ll be happening a lot. It''s just how it is.

I won''t ever call Carrow Road by a sponsor''s name if that happens, so I do get some of yours points. I just don''t think it is all THAT big a deal. Ripping apart history.. (chuckle)..what an overly dramatic proclamation!

To answer that directly, we are not and never have been Norwich City Canaries. The canary nickname has been synonymous with our club for most of its history, but we were originally nicknamed ''the Citizens'' and the bird badge itself was adopted only after our change to a yellow & green kit.

Changing the name, location and/or kit colours of a British football club is indeed equivalent to changing its identity - at lwast in terms of its cultural impact. This is regardless of the lineage of the particular commercial entity directing these decisions. This cultural identity is a huge part of what makes a sport, or a sports club, distinct from an entertainment business.

I personally don''t feel that the description of ripping up 100 years of heritage is at all overblown for these sorts of changes in football.

... And before I''m hauled up for the apparent internal contradiction above fortunately our own kit change occurred only a few years into our club''s life & hence had little negative impact on the evolution of its identity (and a great positive one)!

If we''re not the Norwich City Canaries, then who have I been cheering for since 1972?

I understand and appreciate the rest of your comment GA47 but I guess I just don''t feel as strongly about it as you do especially since it''s not my team doing it, but also because these changes do happen even in British football. Man U fans wore scarvez like ours as protest, the cor scheme of theirs having been green and yellow in the past according to posters on this forum. You even point out that our identity and colors changed. Was there resistance to that? Probably. Should we go back to the old name and colors? Hell no! I''m sure the Hull fans will adapt like we did.

[quote user="BGGYPOS"]But isn''t "Hull City" shorter than "Hull City Tigers", or is it just me?[/quote]

The point is this is plainly the first step in changing the official name, after a suitable interval, to Hull Tigers.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="BGGYPOS"]But isn''t "Hull City" shorter than "Hull City Tigers", or is it just me?[/quote]

The point is this is plainly the first step in changing the official name, after a suitable interval, to Hull Tigers.

[/quote]

Why not cut out that step too?...........and simply opt for ''Hull''.  #BrevityRules

True Houston, clubs like us & Man U have historically made such changes, but over a century ago and before their modern identities were shaped.

Sorry, I''m being pedantic & arguably over-defensive about the name of the club not being (US-style) Norwich Canaries and it''s only because I fear it actually happening (in the manner of Hull or rugby league...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

Why not cut out that step too?...........and simply opt for ''Hull''.  #BrevityRules

[/quote]

Because it is not just brevity the owner is after but a name that - to him - sounds sexy and exciting. He is copying  American Football, where the teams have all these exotic animals or groups of people in their names - Dolphins, Seahawks, Falcons, Raiders, Redskins, Cowboys etc etc etc.

But when Man U made the change, to the people then, it was modern times and so they were changing from their moden identity. They''ve done ok since then.

I don''t know why people think having the city name next to the team nickname is particularly American . The Montreal Canadiens, DC United, and Tokyo Giants may beg to differ.

However, like you I wouldn''t want NCFC to become the Norwich Canaries since "City" is an important part of the team as I identify with it, but if the change is made I''m sure the younger fans won''t have such a hard time with it. Old dog, new tricks kinda thing.

"My dislike for the word ''City'' is because it is common" - No, City is not common. I think you''ll find it''s the Hull bit that''s common"I want the club to be special" - You bought the wrong club.

"It is about identity. ''City'' is a lousy identity". - For Hull maybe but not for A Fine City. "Hull City Association Football Club is so long" - you obviously know nothing about your club because it''s never called that, Besides, if you really wanted a shorter name then why not pick something that would be more relevant for the season ahead - like Hull Nil "In the commercial world, the shorter the name, the better. The more it can spread quickly." - like Flu."In

Tigers, we have a really strong brand."
- you can change the name but you can''t change perceptions. Hull Whatever will never be a strong brand.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]If we''re not the Norwich City Canaries, then who have I been cheering for since 1972?[/quote]Norwich City Football Club, aka "the Canaries"There is a difference.

Ok point taken although it does, from my perspective, border on hair splitting.

If someone mentions the Norwich City Canaries, we know what they''re talking about. I guess we''ll chalk it up to cultural differences.

Tradition, Tradition, look at rugby union in the Southern Hemisphere, team names have been reinvented, but they are basically the same and life goes on, don''t worry about it!