Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

NORWICH CAPTAIN ANNOUNCEMENT

Bassong apparently wears the armband though.Suggests he will have a much bigger influence in actual games, while I presume Martin will be there for the reserve team / youth team / public functions etc

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I saw the title in full caps so hurried over as quickly as possible only to be smacked in the face with the forking obvious. Yawn.[/quote]Houston I had a problemDon''t know why it came out it capitals :(

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="Houston Canary"]I saw the title in full caps so hurried over as quickly as possible only to be smacked in the face with the forking obvious. Yawn.[/quote]

Houston I had a problem

Don''t know why it came out it capitals :(
[/quote]

You mean you were shooting for Mars but only over the Moon?

[quote user="Ches right hand man "]does that mean bassong is captain on the pitch?[/quote]
Yes. 
I assume that decision is because Bassong is the more likely to play every game (if he stays fit), whilst Martin actually has a fair bit of competition for his place if Whittaker stays fit. 

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]We only need one Captain! These titles create confusion.[/quote]
If it keeps everyone happy then I can''t see the problem. It is just a slight variation of ''Team Captain'' and ''Vice-Captain''.  We have normally had a vice-captain. 

I think Swansea had Gary Monk as their Captain till recently.I don''t think he featured much so unsure as to who was "captaining" the team on the pitchHaving 2 captains makes good sense in my opinion

We had it before with Fleming club captain and someone else team captain. It maybe means Russell Martin won''t be playing much

When Holt was captain we know he had a massive influence off the pitch, getting first team players to youth games, spending time with the younger players etc

Bassong is a great leader on the pitch, reminds me of Dublin, and so I imagine he will wear the armband on the pitch, with Russ as vice, whilst Russ is the guy everyone turns to off the pitch, as a senior member of the team whose one of the longest serving at the club, I think this is the best way to replace Holt as captain, very shrewd move.

Presumably it recognises that Martin is a good egg and a good influence around the changing room, but is unlikely to play as many games as Bassong this coming season?

It does mean that if Bassong  is injured and Martin replaces him there need be no kerfuffle, and Martin becomes captain for the days when he plays and Bassong doesn''t.

Confusing. Theres a danger either could consider it a slight on them? Martin - we feel you should be captain, but we''re probably not going to pick you all the time so we''ll give the actual job to Bassong. Bassong, you''ll wear the armband on the pitch, but we don think you''re quite respected enough as a club man in the dressing room, so you''re not the real captain... Does this leave both players wondering why they werent just made captain.

Think it would have been a better move to just have one captain and one vice. Captain doesnt really mean that much, but just wonder why the need to create ambiguity.

Team Captain deals with first 11 matters

Club Captain deals with squad matters

Is that a fair analysis?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]love how this has become some deep meaningfull political analysis for some people ![/quote]Was thinking the exact same thing

This is all a bit of a nonsense really. Why not just make Martin captain and Bassong vice captain. Completely meaningless all round and makes no sense.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Still feel it should be Ruddy[/quote]

Totally with you on this one Yellow Shirt - Ruddy''s our best player so should be captain.

[quote user="Six Pack"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Still feel it should be Ruddy[/quote]

Totally with you on this one Yellow Shirt - Ruddy''s our best player so should be captain.

[/quote]

I think that premiership football clubs are probably a bit beyond the concept that the best player automatically gets made captain. It should be about which players lead by example both on and off the pitch and are respected and looked up to by their teammates.

On that front I agree, however, that Ruddy should have been in with a shout because he seems a good character, very grounded and well respected by his team mates. Maybe though it was felt he''s a bit quiet for the role whereas Martin and Bassong are both quite vocal on the pitch.

Just because someone is considered our best player doesn''t mean they will be our best Captain, Ronaldo isn''t Captain of Real Madrid, nor is Messi Captain of Barcelona.  The best Captain is the player with the best leadership skills and who is the most respected by the players (team); the second attribute normally flows seamlessly from the first, the obvious choice then is Russ Martin, the player most respected by the other players, he was also the fans choice in the recent poll.

Whilst it can be argued that a football Captain has less impact on the outcome of a game than say a cricket Captain, he certainly does have an impact, especially if he is the correct Captain, with the appropriate leadership skills, something very few have, but Russ Martin does.  A Captain with these skills can motivate by deed and words whereas a Captain who leads by example only (as I expect Seb will and do it damn well) by definition has less of an impact.  The thinking leader will be able to solicit 5% more from the other ten players, which of course effectively gives us another half a player on the pitch.

The other side of the coin is that if the players feel they have the wrong Captain this could have a negative impact, especially, but not solely, on team cohesion and overall performance.  I believe there are many managers who lack this understanding and conversely many who don''t.  There are numerous examples of Captains who led by example and numerous of Captains who led by words, there are far fewer examples of those who had the ability to lead using both deeds and words, Bobby Moore immediately springs to mind.

Now, I am not putting Russ Martin in the same category as Bobby Moore when it comes to his playing prowess, however I am putting him the same category as Bobby Moore as a Captain who could lead by deed and word and I believe the club may have missed a trick here, he is respected by all and imo is a fine player who will appear on the pitch in the majority of this season''s matches, so why not make Russ Captain and Seb Vice Captain?

Now we come to the games when both Seb and Russ are on the pitch, who will actually be the captain, who will the other players see as their on-field Captain, who will be the player with the most impact verbally (and by this I don''t mean shout the loudest)?  We probably all know the answer to that, it will be Russ Martin, so perversely and through no fault of his own there may be team disharmony because of Russ''s natural leadership abilities.