Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

May be pure fantasy but...

There''s a poster on the Not606 forum who claims he went to the preseason meal and sat next to Ruddy. This is what he had to say:"

Interesting piece of information from the pre-season dinner last

night, know a guy who sat next to JR and threw every question he could

think at him. Apparently there were 4 bids made for Ruddy the highest of

which was £9m+a top lonee for the year. The club said to ruddy they

would sell him if he wanted, he said that he didn''t want to leave but if

the club wanted the money he would go and after that the matter was

closed.

"Now if (a big if) this is true then I have gained even more respect for Ruddy not wanting to leave just for higher wages. Also the club for not standing in his way.Alos he said that Norwich weren''t planning on accepting the 9m+loanee deal but if Ruddy was willing to leave then they would get into serious discussions.

I really hope this is true. The way modern football is going its descending into madness. To see not only a player, but also a club, act so amicably with everyones interest at heart, amazing stuff. I''m saying this is true, just to bring a ray of light into a dark dark world!

There''s no way Ruddy would divulge this information to a stanger.However, I can believe the deal fell through as a result of Ruddy saying he would rather stay.Some creative license I feel by the 606 forum poster

If we have any faith in him, even if we do end up selling him. We''re far better waiting until next year on the back of a full season of world class goalkeeping. At this point, he''ll be worth £20m and challenging Joe Hart for his place at WC 2014. So long as him and Bassong stay fit, i cannot see us even being near the danger of relegation.

Given the fact that Ruddy''s hobby is gardening, sounds a perfectly plausible story to me. Since no names have been named, and apparently no ongoing negotiations were being discussed, I''m even willing to believe that he said as much as that. Love the story anyway.

Must admit, I believe if John Ruddy had wanted to go to Chelsea it would have happened. His agent and himself would have forced that move through almost certainly, so it seems likely that he chose to stay put - I don''t believe for a minute the club would want an unhappy player here. What with a World Cup year coming up plus he may also be excited with how things are moving forward at Carrow Rd, these maybe factors that helped keep him here. It is not unrealistic to say we''re building a squad that could win a cup and see us into Europe next season if everyone plays to their potential, and we may even exceed expectations in the final league table (though I''d be satisfied with mid table and build further next summer) - he''s still young in goalie terms so there''s no rush for him to go anywhere soon, especially as he''s clearly already popular within the England setup. I think John Ruddy has lots of class, not only as a footballer, but as a bloke too - am delighted he stayed with us, and I genuinely believe that was ultimately down to him.

As others have said, it''s a fairly logical to assume he wasn''t too ''bothered'' about moving to Chelsea, I was never worried and was surprised how worried some people were. But of course he could have decided doubling his wage would be nice, even at his age and stage of his career. A move to Chelsea could have cost him his WC squad place, assuming Foster, Forster and Butland have good seasons its pretty fierce competition for the two spots behind Hart. I honestly think Ruddy is almost on a par with Hart anyway, Hart has a much better/more expensive defence/team in front of him, but still often looks shaky. If Ruddy hasn''t been injured and played all season like he did before his injury, he should have overtaken Hart, although it''s all it''s and buts.

Ruddy is first choice here by a country mile, Bunn is decent but not in the same league. Hopefully Chelsea give up on him, and just rely on their Spaniad who''s currently out on loan but highly regarded, and we can keep Ruddy for many years. A big club could be more persistent and either force the cubs hand or eventually turn Ruddy''s head. But at the moment I think he likes it here, it''s also guaranteed first choice football, an England squad place and the chance to build a great reputation for himself.

Also, I don''t see what''s so unbelievable about the OP''s story, especially after they''ve all had a glass of wine or 2. JR would not be divulging too much or saying anything out of order by stating that he was happy to stay here or wanted to stay here, though I do understand the fact that the sums of money mentioned make it sound slightly less believable.

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]There''s a poster on the Not606 forum who claims he went to the preseason meal and sat next to Ruddy. This is what he had to say:"

Interesting piece of information from the pre-season dinner last

night, know a guy who sat next to JR and threw every question he could

think at him. Apparently there were 4 bids made for Ruddy the highest of

which was £9m+a top lonee for the year. The club said to ruddy they

would sell him if he wanted, he said that he didn''t want to leave but if

the club wanted the money he would go and after that the matter was

closed.

"Now if (a big if) this is true then I have gained even more respect for Ruddy not wanting to leave just for higher wages. Also the club for not standing in his way.Alos he said that Norwich weren''t planning on accepting the 9m+loanee deal but if Ruddy was willing to leave then they would get into serious discussions.[/quote]
Sounds perfectly plausible to me if the club was Chelsea, wonder whether the loanee was Lukaku.
Bet it would have been a different story if it were Arsenal, which would have been an excellent move for Ruddy.

Maybe Ruddy''s agent is the mystery poster, trying to add loyalty to his clients list of attributes before a big payday...

In all seriousness, it would be fantastic to believe this story as of course it is very endearing to the fans. I would love to think that this is the club for Ruddy, especially looking at how far we have and he has come along - yet when he signed we were the Championships new boys.

Will he leave us? I think at some point, one of the top four/five will want to have an English international between the sticks as their No.1 - Ruddy is that man and certainly has the ability. When that time comes, it will be hard to do, but I will wish him luck if that is where his future lays.

I think whether he leaves or not will be entirely down to how well he''s doing and how well we''re doing.

I''d suggest he''s our best player so he is ''ahead'' of us at the moment but not miles ahead.

The Surmans, Barnetts of the world have been outgrown by the club and as we have progressed so well, no one has outgrown us.

If any of the top 6 (or team abroad just as good) were to want a new number one with us currently as good as we are, he''d go, but not to anyone below that.

If we were relegated, and big John had shone, he''d get a move back to a mid table premiership team. If we got champions league (unlikely!) and he''d had a rubbish, error prone season in which Bunn had taken his place at number 1, then we''d offload him to a championship or lower prem club.

At the moment, we''re progressing well enough to satisfy his demands, long may it continue!

Warning - First time poster.

While I can''t clarify the original posters story, I can say I was also lucky enough to attend and sat next to one of the players, and a player that is actively involved in the team. Now I''m not mentioning names because A. he was polite enough to answer my many questions honestly and I wouldn''t want to get him in any trouble and B. I''d hate for the club to stop the players attending and sitting with the sponsors.

however, I can say that my player was also fairly free with information, and non of the squad were allowed to drink, so it wasn''t a case of letting slip after a glass of wine. I wont post everything as his identity would be revealed but some interesting things mentioned were:

Lambert would quite often throw tactic boards and smash plates if things were not going to well, he wouldn''t let the players drive sports cars, as he didn''t want the wrong image for the club hence a lot of 4x4''s in the car park. He also confirmed what we all knew, and that Lambert was not involved in talking through or discussing tactics, and that Culverhouse did it all, with Lambert just motivating before they left the dressing room. He described him as the best Manager at making you believe in yourself. He also said that none of the squad ever knew where they stood with him, and that your place in the team was never safe. Said that the players never knew he was leaving until they saw it on sky like everyone else. Talked about Holt, and that just because he had been a club legend, it didn''t mean his place should have been safe. He talked about Hughton being one of the nicest guys in football, and the squad really wanting to do well for him, and did concede that the defeat at Fulham last season was down the fact the players still had Lamberts mind-set trying to play Chris''s tactics, and that while we didn''t score as many, it was the clean sheets and defensive improvement that kept us up. I think the thing that surprised me the most was when he talked about Karsa being Lamberts "best mate" and that really he was just around to do things Paul Lambert didn''t want to do!!

Funniest bit of the night, was when Russ Martin walked onto stage, the player said "oh no, Russ is up talking next, I''m off to the gents for half an hour" he just came across like a really genuine guy.

So all very boring, and no real excitement, but I do believe JR might have mentioned transfers, the player I''m referring to had no problem telling me about how he arrived at CR, how we had bid for him previously, the terms of his agreement with his old club, the fee etc, speculation about him since he''s been at the club.

Excellent first post.

I know you don''t want to give away the player''s name and betray an implied trust, but did it rhyme with Schmeclan Schmudd?

But seriously that was a great first post!

Thanks, and I can see where your coming from, but no I had the privilege of sitting next to one of the more senior players.

The New Boy (Le Juge)
"Sounds perfectly plausible to me if the club was Chelsea, wonder whether the loanee was Lukaku."

And to anyone else with the intellect of a baked beanPlayers will have a release clause in their contract. If another club wants that player and the player wants to go then an offer at that level is made. If the player doesn''t want to leave, then why make a bid - and a bid BELOW that amount ?The OP is no more than the idiotic bleat of some teenage fantasist.

[quote user="City1st"]The New Boy (Le Juge)
"Sounds perfectly plausible to me if the club was Chelsea, wonder whether the loanee was Lukaku."
And to anyone else with the intellect of a baked beanPlayers will have a release clause in their contract. If another club wants that player and the player wants to go then an offer at that level is made. If the player doesn''t want to leave, then why make a bid - and a bid BELOW that amount ?The OP is no more than the idiotic bleat of some teenage fantasist.

[/quote]
What are you waffling on about, the OP didn''t say anything about a release clause and there is no evidence anywhere that there is one written in Ruddy''s contract. Next you will claim that Grant Holt had a £2m release clause and Wigan bought it out? 
If I''m a baked bean then you''re a spud. 

[quote user="miljosh"]

Thanks, and I can see where your coming from, but no I had the privilege of sitting next to one of the more senior players.

[/quote]

Whose accent isn''t as strong as Lambert''s[:O]................

I never claimed the OP said anything about a release clause, so stop making up things.Release clauses are standard practice within professional football contracts ie it is almost certain that Ruddy would have a release clause.I never claimed that you were a baked bean. I merely pointed out that on this matter you had the intellect of a baked bean. Not the same thing.

I often think some people regard footballers as robots.

I would find it more unbelievable if someone had sat next to a footballer at one of these dinners and the guy had not mentioned anything about his personal experiences at the club.

Is he going to have mentioned transfer figures? That does seem slightly weird, but it is also possible, as a human and not a robot, Ruddy could be proud of his own worth.

Also if true this is all dead information and it''s hardly top secret stuff so it''s hardly as if Ruddy shouldn''t have been talking about it. He and the club come off well if these comments are true.

I think the title of the thread is nearly spot on, but i would change the ''May'' to ''Must and ''fantasy'' to ''bullsh..''!I was speaking to Surman the other day, yes he was in Norwich. I was asking him all sorts of questions too, he just gave wry smiles when i asked him about transfers ect, ect. Surman told me the the players do receive a press input and are told NOT to discuss anything about the club/players that hasn''t been released officially.I therefore think the the person who claims to have got this detail out of JR is full of the brown stuff, imagine that!!!

But they were talking about old news, not current events, and the setting with your encounter may have been less intimate so not maybe not a good ccomparison.

[quote user="City1st"]I never claimed the OP said anything about a release clause, so stop making up things.Release clauses are standard practice within professional football contracts ie it is almost certain that Ruddy would have a release clause.I never claimed that you were a baked bean. I merely pointed out that on this matter you had the intellect of a baked bean. Not the same thing.

[/quote]

That is quite a statement! What is your evidence?

Release clauses obviously exist but I would be astounded if they are standard practice.   After all, they are not in the Club''s interests so why would any Club agree to one unless it is commercially essential?    I can see that Demba Ba, going to Newcastle on a free had the bargaining power to demand one and also that players going to Clubs below their station would have the leverage. But Ruddy came here on a step up. He would have been glad of the opportunity. He was in a weaker bargaining position as are the vast majority of players joining new Clubs because they need the Club more than the Club needs them.

If Rooney, Luiz, Fabregas, Bale and Suarez had buy out clauses that compelled the Club to sell if the price was met then it would be public by now. The consultation clause in Suarez''s contract was triggered by Arsenal after all. If top players don''t have release clauses then how and why would lesser players with much less bargaining power?

Again, what is your evidence? Or is this another unsubstantiated opinion being passed off as a fact when it is nothing of the sort?