Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Our defence

I''ve read a lot on here about the merits, or lack of them, of our current line up of defenders.

Well their record in the Premiership speaks for itself, I think.

There''s also a lot of comment that this defence was good enough to get us promotion last time and/or that the defence that leaked goals for fun in the Premiership will, never the less, be good enough for the Championship.

I have to say that I totally disagree with both these theories

Two years ago our defence was organised, they knew what they were doing and they worked together as a unit. Are people forgetting that at that time we had a player who could organise and motivate the defence into this coherent and effective unit. It has been patently obvious all season long that within the current ranks there is nobody who is capable of taking over this vital job. Therefore we need to recruit somebody who can do this.

I cannot see any reason why our defence will suddenly become more organised and focused and less leaky just because we are dropping down a league. It already appears that Helveg is on his way - no surprise there as surely he was only ever brought in to help keep us in the Premiership. He was never going to be a long term investment. At one time I thought Charlton was going to be the man but this did not materialise. Like Helveg he was brought in to do a specific job but now that we are in the Championship, the job spec has changed and I don''t think Charlton is the answer.

Shackell I believe will make the grade but he desperately needs a MM type person playing next to him (no I''m not saying we should get MM back)

I think we also need someone with a bit of height. Fleming and Charlton are not the tallest defenders in the world and it''s been pretty obvious that strikers who are good in the air (and some who aren''t) have caused us lots of problems. Given that route one football is more prevalent in the Championship, then I think height should also be a major factor for any perspective recruit.

It remains my belief that we desperately need a decent right back - one with a bit of pace who is prepared to help out in attack but who can still get back to defend. We also need a tall centre back who can nurture the undoubted talents of Shackell.

But more than that we need someone who can get things organised at the back and help protect Greeno.

I know eveyone is moaning on about the defence, but just think back through the season as to how many goals were conceded from outside the penalty area.

Surely, as the pundits say, you should ''defend as a team'' & seeing countless players from other sides closing down & throwing themselves in the way of goal bound shots, it should be a lesson we need to learn.

Robert Green isn''t in the England squad because he conceded 77 goals this year, but giving top class strikers (or midfielders) time to shoot from 25-30 yards is asking for trouble

By the way, this is my first post on this site, but I must say how informative and friendly (mostly) it seems.

I completely agree MPFN. I always thought that we got rid of MM too quickly and did not replace him or Iwan with an appropriate on field leader and organiser. The dynamics of the defence changed entirely for the worse and just because we play against Championship palyers will not affect:

poor marking

leaving attackers on the overlap

not closing down

defending too deep

OK, so the opponents may not be as good as what we have just experienced but the sides down there are still stuffed full of skilful opponents who are capable of exploiting the very same weaknesses.

If Helveg can be persuaded to stay then he, Shackell and Charlton are the only survivors in my view. The rest, including Drury regrettably, can go.

I''m with you Tumbleweed.  MM was never given the opportunity to play in the Premiership, which his Champoinship winning performances deserved.

MM was not the biggest, or quickest.  But what you got was 500% commitment and organisation.  I lost count of the amount of goals we conceded from set plays last year, because nobody knows who was picking up who.

Blame?  Lies clearly with the Captain.  Nobody else.  Worthy sees something in him nobody else does, obviously!!!!!!!!!!!

I don''t think individuals are entirely to blame, its just the defensive unit as a whole. money would better spent of a defensive coach or five

I share everyone else''s concerns about the back four.  Of course some poor midfield defending put undue pressure on them but there were days when they too were found wanting.

So we have Shackell as a fixture.  Drury has made enough of a comeback to suggest that he will regain his confidence.  He is quality but took the brunt of the early home defeat against Arsenal.  It took its toll and has been a long way back.  Anyway, he has a great relationship with Hucks and now that he is established as a left winger, Drury is coming back up to par.

Fleming is now backup only.  He played his heart out but his contribution is declining.  We need a new centre half to bed in with Jason and establish the solidity of two years ago.  Doherty may deserve a chance.  It is hard to see a player with 27 caps in some of his performances but he is young and perhaps worth a run.  I have alot of time for Charlton and would keep him as cover for centre and left back.  Neither he nor Fleming should be first choice because we need an established partnership in the centre that can last for at least a couple of seasons.  Even if Malky had stayed, we would still be in this position now.

That leaves the defence short of experience and a mentor.  We have an international captain at right back who knows the tricks and has put in some (I know not all by any means) quality performances.  I think we need him to help the rest to work.  I don''t want a team of kickers but Thomas is hard and will do what is necessary.  Would Joe Cole have scored at Carrow Road if it had been Helveg not Edworthy he had to go through?  We all know the answer to that.  Yes, it might well have been a yellow card but probably not a goal.

Personally, I''d make Thomas captain for a season and let him lead the others to the success we all want.