Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Guardian Season Preview

A good read. Fair assessment of our chances. Poor old Pilks falls victim to a mistaken first name again, known as Kevin this time rather than Karl or even his actual name! (Unless the former Man U reserve keeper is now on our books as a winger?)

A good preview and more accurate than many you will see this time of year. Wonder if Norwich will be the only club to have a non-sports writer do the video though...

I really like Paul MacInnes and his inputs to the Guardian''s Football Weekly podcast - but it would have also been nice to see a netural''s perspective on Norwich. Having said that it did mean a lack of cookery puns (but not Grant Holt fat jokes).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

A good preview and more accurate than many you will see this time of year. Wonder if Norwich will be the only club to have a non-sports writer do the video though...

I really like Paul MacInnes and his inputs to the Guardian''s Football Weekly podcast - but it would have also been nice to see a netural''s perspective on Norwich. Having said that it did mean a lack of cookery puns (but not Grant Holt fat jokes).

[/quote]

My computer won''t let me see the video bit, but MacInnes tends to be pretty unbiased on the Football Weekly show, and the Burnton piece is obviously that of a neutral. One apparent oddity is that after finishes of 12th and 11th and then with significant strengthening and no unwanted departures The Guardian prediction is for 15th. Probably a continued underestimation of our chances plus a realisation that other sides around us have also boosted their squads. All that lovely TV money getting spent.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

My computer won''t let me see the video bit, but MacInnes tends to be pretty unbiased on the Football Weekly show, and the Burnton piece is obviously that of a neutral. One apparent oddity is that after finishes of 12th and 11th and then with significant strengthening and no unwanted departures The Guardian prediction is for 15th. Probably a continued underestimation of our chances plus a realisation that other sides around us have also boosted their squads. All that lovely TV money getting spent.

[/quote]

I think 15th might be fair enough. On paper, Villa and Newcastle should recover, Fulham, Southampton, Stoke and Sunderland look to be the teams we''re competing with. The bottom three will start as the promoted trio leaving 17th-13th for us 5, then 12th-11th for Villa and Toon. West Ham, Swansea and West Brom rightfully get the 10th-8th predictions on the back of last season.

11th was achieved on fine margins and could easily have been 16th on the final day.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

My computer won''t let me see the video bit, but MacInnes tends to be pretty unbiased on the Football Weekly show, and the Burnton piece is obviously that of a neutral.

One apparent oddity is that after finishes of 12th and 11th and then with significant strengthening and no unwanted departures The Guardian prediction is for 15th. Probably a continued underestimation of our chances plus a realisation that other sides around us have also boosted their squads. All that lovely TV money getting spent.

[/quote]

True about MacInnes, and I should have stressed it is actually a good video about Norwich. I agreed with pretty much everything he said - the noticeable thing for me is so far every other club has had a sports writer discuss them, but I guess Norwich''s geographical position means that it is impossible for papers to have someone dedicated to the club. Which is reflected by them drafting in a music and TV reviewer to do the job (again I must say MacInnes is good on Football Weekly)

As for the league position I think 15th represents quite well the unpredictability of the forth coming season, I''m sure some will have said Norwich to finish 10th or 11th whilst some will have said 17th and 18th. Looking purely at 2013 form, 15th is an improvement.

Excellent point JS regarding our 11th place finish being by a hair, and but for an unexpected win at Manc could have been 16th.

I''m glad someone else noticed that, too.

West Brom are a club i expect to be amongst the group competing in the lower half of the table again this season. I think their league position flattered them a bit last season (as did ours due to the tightness of the league and our unexpected final day win at Man City). they actually had a pretty awful second half of the season and were not playing well but were fortunate they had got themselves a big enough cushion. No way they will be finishing top half this season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10237196/Premier-League-201314-preview-how-will-Arsenal-Manchester-United-Liverpool-and-your-team-fare.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

The telegraph has us 10th!

Agreed about West Brom. I do think Newcastle will be much better this year though.