Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

Redmond to start?

Anyone else think Redmond should start Saturday? From the reports I''ve read and the limited highlights I''ve seen through canary player, he looks quick, direct, will cause the Everton defence problems. I''m almost hoping that everyone of our players come backs injury free from the internationals!

I would expect Olsson to play wide left with Garrido at left back as Pilkington won''t be ready. Young Redmond on the bench with perhaps a late 15 minute run out depending on how the game''s going.

Interesting one, i''d say Snoddy is a shoe in one side and then for me it''s between Redmond and Olsson the other side. I''m not sure which way round to do it though, one starts, the other comes on at 60 odd mins. Olsson is still getting back to fitness, so i''d suggest Redmond starts to test the legs of Hibbert down that flank and then when he tires, Olsson can come on and gain valuable minutes.

Does this mean a need for Tettey and Johnno in the middle? Perhaps Howson on when Olsson comes on.

Looks like Hoolahoop and RVW are the 1+1 up top, Hooper likely to be used from the bench.

The defence more or less picks itself, Martin, Turner, Bassong (Bennett he''s not ready), Garrido.

Interesting to see we have options now! Still not factored in R & E Bennett and Becchio on the bench, Whittaker unfortunately for him missing out.

It is great to see the options we have available! I think the manager has done a great job in moving players on and bringing the right ones in! We have great competition for places and instead of panicking when one or two key players get injured we have good quality back up to step in!

For me, Redmond has to start on Saturday. Against Panathanaikos we looked a different team with him on the pitch. Direct running at the defence caused problems, and would rather have him on from the start.

Ruddy, Martin, Bassong (if fit), Turner, Olsson, Snoddy, Johnson, Tettey, Redmond, Hoolahan, RVW.

An interesting test of Hughton''s approach this season !  Redmond has genuine pace which let''s face it we haven''t had for a while in our team.  Didn''t see the Panathanaikos game, but against RS he looked good initially, but often kept the ball too long and ran into trouble.  He needs to learn to play the simple ball more often.

Olsson also looked quick against RS so I wouldn''t be surprised if he starts on the left side of midfield.

Another tricky choice, with Hoolahan front of midfield, is whether Howson or Tettey goes alongside Johnson.  Howson looked good there at the back end of last season but I think Tettey had good reports against Pan.

On the basis Hooper and Bassong are both fit

Ruddy

Martin

Turner

Bassong

Olsson

Johnson

Howson

Snodgrass

Hoolahan

Redmond

RVW/Hooper (I really can''t decide, will probably be RVW)

I would like Redmond to start with Olsson left full back. Looked like a partnership had been created in the first home pre season.

Biggest difference is without fer our midfield could look the same as last season and I would worry with that.

Redmond has to start to freshen that group up.

Rvw will get chances but I hope we can get him a fair few, I do have doubts of our midfield with hoops ahead as it wasn''t particualrly inspiring last season and eb can stay on the bench. Maybe butterfield to come on for that position behind the striker if hooper is not in the first team squad for Saturday.

Still would like to see rvw and hooper play up top a little.

Yep don''t think Redmond will start. I think for a while he will be used as an impact sub. He looks very raw a the minute and decision making looks slightly awry. Of course he is young and has plenty of time to improve.

This is one of the few games this season where we need to be more concerned with what happens on the right side of the pitch, where the biggest threat is going to come from.... Leighton Baines. 
So.... Martin or Whittaker? 

I agree with the post above saying it will be an interesting test/insight into Hughton''s mindset.

Garrido has generally looked quite poor this pre-season. I personally expect Olsson to be our first choice left back. Redmond has looked very promising.

The bold and more positive approach would be to start Olsson at left back with Redmond left wing. It would also give us some genuine pace going forward. If Olsson plays left wing then that is a much more conservative selection. That said Everton are a decent side and Olsson not fully fit so one could perhaps argue a bit of conservatism is warranted.

Snodgrass often gets his final ball wrong or doesn''t release the ball at the right time but still causes enough problems for the opposition so I don''t see why the same can''t go for Redmond.

I think he''s got a very good chance of starting against Everton but at the same time I wouldn''t be surprised if we''re a bit "safer" with Olsson infront of Garrido.

Gotta be Martin at right back to combat Baines. Baines is by no means a slouch, but pace isn''t something he is known for. Martin should stand a chance keeping him quiet and Johnson and Snoddy will help him out with that.

The New Boy (Le Juge) wrote the following post at 13/08/2013 1:05 PM:

This is one of the few games this season where we need to be more concerned with what happens on the right side of the pitch, where the biggest threat is going to come from.... Leighton Baines.

So.... Martin or Whittaker?

Will Baines still be there?

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]The New Boy (Le Juge) wrote the following post at 13/08/2013 1:05 PM: This is one of the few games this season where we need to be more concerned with what happens on the right side of the pitch, where the biggest threat is going to come from.... Leighton Baines. So.... Martin or Whittaker? Will Baines still be there?[/quote]

On Saturday? Yes.

By the end of August? Probably

I think we are likely to create more with Redmond on the pitch. The problem last season was service to the strikers. Redmond is very offensive. I would have Olsson behind him because Redmond being very attacking minded, might not track back and defend as quickly as some night like. Olsson might be needed more for his pace at the back!

I''m off to the England U21 game tonight and will be keeping a close eye on Redmond. Probably end up wincing every time he''s tackled too! I think he should 100% start on Saturday and test Everton''s defence early doors.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Gotta be Martin at right back to combat Baines. Baines is by no means a slouch, but pace isn''t something he is known for. Martin should stand a chance keeping him quiet and Johnson and Snoddy will help him out with that.[/quote]
And I think we have the answer to the thread here. Yes, Redmond should start, because Snodgrass will have to play a little deep. It was Snodgrass who kept him quiet last time around, must have tracked back five or six times to steal the ball from Baines.
If Snodgrass is going to be kept busy doubling up on Baines then yes, we need Redmond to step up on that left hand side.