Sign in to follow this  
smooth

'No rush to make further signings'

Good public stance.

As we know clubs work through to the end of window, players become available in a blink of the eye and situations can force your hand a little.

I did hear a rumour that if we did stay up that Hughton would be given a budget that included the remit of three marquee 5 million pound players, so with rvw, hooper and fer all around that figure maybe we have that.

Anyway I think it is a good stance for a manager and a team that has been quite proactive, busy and commendable during this summer window. Do I believe it? No, I believe clubs are always scouting, listening to whispers etc.

I hope we do pick up some other players centre half or naughton and that attacking midfielder/ striker but I wonder if fer is being thought of in that position.

It''s a very misleading headline to that article - "..new signings after Hooper injury..."

That issue is not addressed in the article, certainly not by Hughton. He is saying exactly what he has always said - if we find the right player at the right price we are interested, if not we are quite happy with what we have. He never states that if Hooper''s injury is long term then he will be forced to buy another striker.

And as for your three £5m players, that seems a bit wide of the mark as we are still working on that SS/AM target. If we don''t get him then it will not be because of budget constraints.

I agree - Hughton can''t say we are now desperately searching for a striker as that would put us at a weak negotiating position.

However we really ARE desperately searching for another striker in my eyes. It only takes one injury and one red card in the wrong place and we only have Becchio to play as an out and out forward.

Before the summer I thought that we were crying out for a striker but with Holt leaving we need two.

1 more no. 10, and another ball playing defender and we''re done. We''ve got enough now though to be able to cope if we could get away without injuries.

The early bid for Alderweild shows we have a defender on our shopping list. That deal looks dead in the water so I wonder what plan B there is there. I still think Toivonen may yet come

I just hope that the plan b''s have been progressed because it seems to me that we have beejn waiting for Toby and Quag to make decisions whilst they may well have been waiting for others to come in who now have/will come in and render the chances of us signing either of them very slim.

CB worries me more than striker to be honest because I think we will be playing 1 up front a lot again this season anyway or if we do play 2 up front it would be RVW and Hooper together so having another big money,l big name striker might cause difficulties in terms of keeping everyone happy anyway.

At CB though i really, really worry about the depth of the options given that both Bassong and Turner do tend to pick up injuries on a reasonably regular basis.

Given that it is only a week or so ago that CH was saying that they were working hard and if a suitable player became available...., it would be surprising if they had stopped looking and working. They did not give up on Quag, although he now seems to have given up on us.

Common sense would surely say to CH/McN that three strikers, about one of whom there are doubts, are not enough, even if the intention is to play a lone striker. Above all else, CH will remember the desperate moves to sign a striker in August 2012, moves which resulted in Kane on loan.

I think he was trying to calm the immediate panic over Hooper, a panic which could have had many crying out "Sign a striker, anyone will do!". I am sure that they are considering plan B or C, in the absence of Toivonen and Quag, although the later they leave it the more difficult it will became to sign someone, with other clubs having settled their squads for the season.

It looks as if we have missed out on Alderweireld, who would have made a big difference to our defence, but we have four with Martin who can play CB. Similarly we have plenty of midfield talent, although I concede that an injury to Fer could significantly weaken that area.  The message has to be that unless we can find a real bargain we have sufficient players to continue our improvement, and make real progress with big spending in 2014.

Not at the least surprised with Hoots comments. Linked with top players continuously getting fans excited about new signings then the old " happy with what I have got". We can all see that a new no 10 and a centre half are required. Let''s hope that something is pulled out of the bag. Am still not convinced by Turner,Bennett at CH nor Hoolahan producing regularly in the no 10 role.Two more signings please then I will be happy with what we''ve got

Jesus Christ you absolute f*cking idiot what has Turner got to do to prove himself? Other than about 5 or 6 games at the beginning of the season he hasn''t put a foot wrong and regularly out performed Bassong. But no because he was crap against Fulham and Newcastle we shouldn''t be convinced by him.

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]Jesus Christ you absolute f*cking idiot what has Turner got to do to prove himself? Other than about 5 or 6 games at the beginning of the season he hasn''t put a foot wrong and regularly out performed Bassong. But no because he was crap against Fulham and Newcastle we shouldn''t be convinced by him.[/quote]
No, it''s not necessarily that. He gives some fans the willies with his octopus holds.  I''m not saying he''s not good enough, just that if refs decided to clamp down hard on holding and all that malarkey  he''s have to alter his style or we''d give no end of free kicks and pens away.

So you agree on Bennett and Hoolahan then? Two out of three ain''t bad. Seriously though I would like to see someone with a bit of pace alongside Bassong.That''s really what I am getting at. Don''t get me wrong Turner did great after first six games as did Bennett in last two or three. If Bassong is injured am I worried with pace against Turner and Bennett or Martin.Damn right I am.

it matters little if we were ''over strikered'' you would still be predicting our defeat, relegation

I will be amazed if we don''t see another striking option arrive before the deadline. Lets be honest, all 3 forwards are unproven at this level and there is no guarantee that they will shine ( although for the record i think Hooper will score a lot this season) as we have seen it only takes 1 injury and we are suddenly very thin on qptions there. You can''t have to much quality and quantity when it comes to strikers.

We all know that so far it''s been a very good summer for signings for a very long time, but we would all like another CB & Striker then it becomes an excellent summer and a season we can all look forward too.

Onwards and Upwards