Sign in to follow this  
GenerationA47

Norwich Canaries? Vote on changing the club's name!

I know we are maybe unrepresentative on here: nerdy/plastics/hardcore/PW/yokel/HC/binner/ignorant/football expert, you name it - it''s all been said of one other or ourselves at some point. But following the debate on the other thread, I am interested to know how pink ''un posters would receive a Hull-style rebranding, whose fans have just got together about 1200 signatures against it.

In our discussions, some posters believed (like Steve Bruce) changing a couple of words means nothing, others (echoing Mr Allam) said it would be better global marketing brand; on the other side, some feared they might stop supporting, others implied it would be a hideous and unnecessary betrayal of our heritage and another craven step on the slippery slope to the FIFA National Soccer League (guess which camp I was in).

So - in line with the recent Hull change, the proposal to be voted on is whether to be called "Norwich Canaries" outside of Norfolk, and called "Norwich City Canaries" in Norfolk and also for the official name. Just to remind all our fans who read this (as became clear was necessary!), we are currently "Norwich City Football Club".

Without additional unnecessary guff (I feel that is my job exclusively), I request your one-word answers: would you be in favour of this proposal for our club - yes or no?

I will kick off with...

NO.

Just to clarify: to refer to the Hull model again, this is not about a time-limited deal with a sponsor or guaranteed cash. It''s a permanent club name change in the hope of attracting more fans/customers.

I''m aware that minority passion or majority complacency can cloud our perspectives (including possibly mine) and blind us to a need for change and ''innovation''. Therefore I wouldn''t want potential supporters of this idea to be put off from voting, e.g. for fear of being abused as traitors. Even at Hull, it may be that the silent majority are in favour, or at least will be in a few years... so now is the time to assert yourselves, if you are out there!

Also - I realise the aim is to appeal to new people not the existing crowd, so this poll is already ''biased'' and that needs to be taken account of. So let''s agree you should vote YES if like the Role Model you don''t mind the name change and do genuinely believe (we must assume?) in the likelihood of Â£millions more cash as a result.

No

Nope

No way Jose

Not a chance Lance

Never

and finally my favourite

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

[quote user="GenerationA47"]

Just to clarify: to refer to the Hull model again, this is not about a time-limited deal with a sponsor or guaranteed cash. It''s a permanent club name change in the hope of attracting more fans/customers.

I''m aware that minority passion or majority complacency can cloud our perspectives (including possibly mine) and blind us to a need for change and ''innovation''. Therefore I wouldn''t want potential supporters of this idea to be put off from voting, e.g. for fear of being abused as traitors. Even at Hull, it may be that the silent majority are in favour, or at least will be in a few years... so now is the time to assert yourselves, if you are out there!

Also - I realise the aim is to appeal to new people not the existing crowd, so this poll is already ''biased'' and that needs to be taken account of. So let''s agree you should vote YES if like the Role Model you don''t mind the name change and do genuinely believe (we must assume?) in the likelihood of Â£millions more cash as a result.

[/quote]
The way I look at it (on a smaller scale).  I still call the N&P the Riverend if you see what I mean.  
Therefore our fans would still refer to ourselves as Norwich City.  It really wouldn''t make any odds imo.  I''m sure that in the old days some fans weren''t happy  when we changed from the Citizens to Canaries in the first place.

Extra cash or not, it wouldn''t bother nor excite me in the least. To me, Canaries is synonymous with Norwich, Norwich City, NCFC, or whatevef name is being used at that moment.

It''s not like us North Americans use only the full official name when dicussing our teams. The Boston Red Sox fans talk about their Bosox, Sox, Boston, Bean Town, etc.

If Norwich officially changed to The Norwich Canaries, there would still be several ways to refer to the team as there is now.

Much ado, much ado.....

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]Hull have become a bit of a joke with this, more so than us with goal music.[/quote]
Because of the name change or the overreaction?
A spade is still a spade. Even if it''s hanging in an arty farty allotment shop branded as ''A utensil for shovelling sh1te''. 

No.

Obviously.

I want to know if the decision by the Hull owner was based on market research or whether it was just his own arrogant opinion. If it was the former who was questioned and why did the new name The Hull Tigers appeal more than Hull City?

If we were to rebrand to appeal more the more f*ckwitted demographic in the USA and elsewhere I''d like to see us become the East Anglian Eagles. For no reason in particular.