Sign in to follow this  
Canary02 IV

Johan Elmander

Just seen a report that we''re trying to sign Johan Elmander. Would solve the height issue up front and he''s proved himself before at this level.

Hmm, not sure what to make of that one. A bit of an underwhelming signing, hopefully if he''s going cheap, he could be an astute purchase.

I think he''d tick several boxes that we haven''t already ticked. Experienced, both internationally and in the Premier League, powerful and with a good goalscoring record. Ideal player to bring off the bench if we need to nick a late goal but can also play the lone striker role if needed. Add in the attacking mid to provide competition for Wes and maybe a CB upgrade and I think we''d get A+ for our summer work.

Not a flashy signing, but will be good depth behind Hooper/RVW whilst offering a different option.

Anybody seen a price quoted?

The picture of him walking towards the dugout..... It''s actually Grant Holt''s long lost brother.In all seriousness Could probably do a decent job for us though

Can''t see why people wouldn''t want him here.

Signing another first choice striker is unrealistic, RVW and Hooper are already battling it out for one spot, our predominant formation this season will involve one man up top, it''s not a negative formation before anyone gets on that track, it''s becoming/already is the norm these days.

Elmander is decent at this level, a target man, will be useful to come off the bench either when we have the lead to hold the ball up a bit, or to go two up top when we''re losing/drawing to allow a more direct approach.

Will be cheap transfer cost and I assume wage wise, leaves money in the bank should we need to sign a better striker in Jan, or even next summer.

Who would you want out of elmander, Lopez or mounir el hamdaoui? These seem to be the plan B strikers being mentioned

Would be a good signing. Would predominantly be used in the hole. Good on the ball and a bit more robust than Hoolahan and also has a better scoring record and can also play as a lone striker. He’s an international who ticks a lot of boxes and wouldn’t cost much.

[quote user="Canary02 IV"]I think he''d tick several boxes that we haven''t already ticked. Experienced, both internationally and in the Premier League, powerful and with a good goalscoring record. Ideal player to bring off the bench if we need to nick a late goal but can also play the lone striker role if needed. Add in the attacking mid to provide competition for Wes and maybe a CB upgrade and I think we''d get A+ for our summer work.[/quote]

I think you must have a different idea of a good goal scoring record! I seem to recall that for most of his time at Bolton he had a similar scoring record to Robert Rosario!! I think he had one purple patch in his final season. No better than Becchio

I think he would be a decent player to have around and to come off the bench and rough people up, try and nick one with his head.
I''ve been saying for weeks that despite signing two quality strikers we now lack somebody who is good in the air or who can hold the ball up and Elmander offers that.
Even if we sign Quag or Maxi Lopez, we will still not have a big man or anybody we could pump balls to in the last fifteen minutes (when either chasing a game or trying to close one when under the kosh), so I think he really would be our Premier League version of Wilbraham.
If we are talking £1m and £15k a week then why not? Age doesn''t really matter if you aren''t staking big money, sure he could fill a gap for a year or two. 
There are also rumours of Becchio going back to the Championship (explain why Morison has gone to Millwall perhaps?), so could be something in this.

Perhaps building a little Scandinavian contingent would help attract Toivanan... Elmander would be Swedish player #2, Scandinavian player #3. 

[quote user="Hackedoff"]Poor man''s Holt. No thanks[/quote]
Holt was no world beater last season, and we do need a player in the Holt mould.
Holt would still be here if he wanted to be, he didn''t, we have to move on. Signing an experienced player who do some of the things that Holt could (rough people up, hold the ball up, win headers) is no bad thing. We will miss Holt at times this season.
Hughton didn''t want Holt gone, he pretty much said so after the West Brom game, we need to move on.

[quote user="PortlandCanary"][quote user="Hackedoff"]Poor man''s Holt. No thanks[/quote]

How poor must one be to need a Poor Man''s Holt?[/quote]
A happy and motivated Holt is an excellent player, it''s just that we didn''t see that Holt last season and that''s why he has gone to Wigan.... where a happy and motivated Holt will have an excellent season. 

no, no and NO!  Failed in Prem and has been pretty average in Turkey

[quote user="Hog"]no, no and NO!  Failed in Prem and has been pretty average in Turkey[/quote]
Still getting picked for Sweden who have Ibrahimovic and Toivanon at their disposal so can''t be that crap. He also usually plays as a deep striker rather than a #9 so don''t see sense in judging him on goals. That''s where Michael Laudrup played him so I''ll trust him on that.
Has been an important part of a Galatasary team in two years and in that two years has won the league twice and cup twice, so I''d consider that a success. That is not a one team league.
If he is good enough to play with Didier Drogba, Wesley Sneijder and Emmanual Eboue, and good enough to be part of the team to win the Emirates Cup last month on Arsenal''s own turf then he is good enough to play for Norwich. 
We have to be realistic about who we can bring in, has to be somebody who is happy to be a bench/rotation player seeing as we have Hooper and RVW already. There are also a limited number of big target men around. Teddy Sheringham weren''t that prolific in the league for Man Utd but everybody knew what the big man offered. Same with people like Duncan Ferguson and Kevin Davies, and same with Holt last season.

Mixed feelings if true. very good in his day and did a fine job for Bolton. He is by all accounts looking for a move back to the EPL, but he is 32 so would be a stop gap with no prospects of resale. It would make the sale of Holt a bit of a non sense. I would much prefer someone well under 30  unless he was a free transfer

Ha ha simply no.

Goes against all the principles of young and hungry that many still go with and def goes against the level of quality. Of course we need three strikers of similar ability or who could play as a front three with hooper and others out wide. Hooper did play that role for Celtic.

I recall his time here previously and certainly do not feel he is a player we will be after, this would leave me very feeling very deflated as this is not the quality of player we need.