Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

Who has been our best value for money signing?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="star_manic"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="NCFC for life 1993-"]So who do we all think has been our best value for money signing? Huckerby? Ashton? What about Ashley ward or Jon Newsome? I''d go Huckerby. The reported fee that I remember was 750.000 for him. Loose change for us now![/quote]

Martin Peters. And the job-lot answer is Culverhouse, Bowen and Crook from Spurs for a combined £130,000 or so,

[/quote]

Don''t forget Gary Brooke as well.LOL. I agree about Peters though.[/quote]

I understand the argument about Holt but if we are talking about the rise from the third tier to the Pl and consolidation then the major single factor in that was Lambert. Lambert and AN Other as a striker would probably have achieved the same result. Holt and AN Other as a manager probably not.

[/quote]Not so sure about that, 25 goals a year strikers are hard to come by.You''re not telling me had we have Jamie Cureton, Clive Platt, Cody McDonald, Peter Thorne instead of Holt, we would have got out of them 2 leagues?For that reason, its a Grant Holt from me aswell.

[/quote]

That is a remarkably stupid thing to say.

[/quote]Elaborate

Has to be the legend that is Kevin Keelan. Cost £6500 from Wrexham and gave us a club record of 673 games which works out at £9.66p a game.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Has to be the legend that is Kevin Keelan. Cost £6500 from Wrexham and gave us a club record of 673 games which works out at £9.66p a game.[/quote]He was on £10 per week in those days. Who paid the other 34p.....Carl Moore? [;)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Lets be aving you"]

Grant Holt was a brilliant signing.

The fact that so many are naming him, though, might also have something to do with recency bias.

It''s why best pop song surveys tend to be disproportionately biased to fairly recent releases, or why Lady Di and John Lennon were among the "Top Ten Britons" a few years ago.

[/quote]

It does. Holt was a good player - and a great symbol - but doesn''t get into the top three NCFC centre-forwards in my time (Boyer, Davies and Sutton) while Peters walks into the all-time eleven, as does Bowen at left-back. The other signing who rivals Peters as value for money was Keelan, who costs a few thousand pounds.

[/quote]

On reflection I would switch my vote to Keelan.

I would agree, defo Keelan. A legend and a rock for many generations.

However, from the current crop, how much did RMart actually cost us? The classic "undisclosed" stikes again, but £200k was touted on here I think...although that figure probably came from twitter. :)

Rmart is not my favourite current NCFC player but although his pace and positioning at right back is sometimes for me questionable his effort, timing at centre back (where you often don''t have to use your pace as much) is strong. His commitment is amazing...therefore IF £200k, he''s more than VFM and then some.

doesn''t matter if its recent or not  im sure people just reel off an old player to make them look superior and to show how long they have been supporting the club... but come on can there be a better 400k ever spent than grant holt ? no one has come near the influence and achievement of that man...

Kevin Keelan is not just any "old player"...

...Cost peanuts, legend for 10 years BEFORE we hit the top flight for the first time, pen saves at wemberlee, lamping players at corner kicks, played for us over 3 decades....

go wash you mouth out sonny Jim!

Agreed though Holt was something else in recent years. although the Crook/Bowen/Culverhouse BOGOF deal was summut too.

[quote user="CanaryDodge84"]

To be fair, it''s a cracking question to ask and although it will inspire debate you simply can''t get a definite answer to say "This player was the best value for money".

You have to look at the position that player plays in, what he brings/brought to the team and during what time in the clubs history he was playing apart of.  For me, as a generic list i would highlight all of these as being "great value for money signings for various different reasons" during my time of supporting Norwich: -

(List is off the top of my head and i may well have missed out some other influential players)

John Ruddy

Adam Drury

Craig Fleming

Malky Mackay

Gary Holt

Damien Francis

Dean Ashton

Matt Jackson (Weird choice i know, but joined at a time when we were crying out for a decent centre half)

Mark Robins

Darren Huckerby

Dion Dublin

Iwan Roberts

Steen Nedergaard

Marc Edworthy

Leon McKenzie

Wes Hoolahan

Grant Holt

Ashley Ward

Russell Martin

Paul McVeigh

I''m sure there are many more - But if i had to pick out a handful of stand-out "value for money buys" then i would go for the ones highlighted in bold.

[/quote]

Hard to argue with many of those, but at £1500 I think Johnny Gavin takes it. That works out at £11.36 per goal. Different time I know, but compare it to £5128.20(est) per goal Holt scored and the £9375 it cost us for every goal Iwan scored, Gavin is in a class of his own.

Gavin and Keelan were players who were cheap to purchase etc.

The question asked who was the best value for money. Until someone can tell me how much Keelan for example realised financially for the club versus his purchase price then...........................Holty takes it, big time.

Well Kevin Drinkell scored the goals that won us division 2 in 1986, we then spent 9 years on the spin in the top flight.

Of course it was different then and the financial rewards were less but Scottlarock presumably you realise you''re comparing apples and oranges.

[quote user="Scottlarock"]Gavin and Keelan were players who were cheap to purchase etc.

The question asked who was the best value for money. Until someone can tell me how much Keelan for example realised financially for the club versus his purchase price then...........................Holty takes it, big time.[/quote]If football was purely about the dollar, then yes Holt would definitley be there or there abouts. But it''s not, it''s about scoring goals and winning trophies. Keelan played 673 competetive matches for City, was promoted to the top flight twice (including 1971 2nd Division Championship), was twice named player of the season and was involved in 2 League Cup finals, becoming the first goalkeeper to save a penalty at Wembley. Gavin is the clubs record goal scorer, a record that Holt got no where near, spent two thirds of his career at Norwich City, where as Holt couldn''t wait to get back up north when he realised he was no longer going to be "Johnny Big Potatoes" in the dressing room, and Gavin was part of FA Cup giant killing teams against the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool, compared to Holt who was part of a squad that became the first top flight team to loose to non-league opposition in the FA cup for 24 years.Now don''t get me wrong, Holt is a legend, his goals are a vital part of our history and I''m glad Bryan Gunn did at least one thing right whilst he was manager and signed him. Is he the best value player we''ve ever signed, looking from a purely football perspective, probably not. Throw in Adam Drury (with 10 years loyal service, 1 Barry Butler Award and 2 promotions to the premier league, one of which was a Championship winning season) with the above two players and Holt doesn''t even make the top 3.