Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

Who has been our best value for money signing?

So who do we all think has been our best value for money signing? Huckerby? Ashton? What about Ashley ward or Jon Newsome? I''d go Huckerby. The reported fee that I remember was 750.000 for him. Loose change for us now!

[quote user="NCFC for life 1993-"]So who do we all think has been our best value for money signing? Huckerby? Ashton? What about Ashley ward or Jon Newsome? I''d go Huckerby. The reported fee that I remember was 750.000 for him. Loose change for us now![/quote]

Martin Peters. And the job-lot answer is Culverhouse, Bowen and Crook from Spurs for a combined £130,000 or so,

Maybe Kevin Reeves. Signed for about £50 000, then scored a hatful of goals for us, appeared for England, and finally sold for a million.

The N&P used to be known as the Reeves Stand for a while because his sale helped fund it.

Gotta be Holty. His goals have dragged us up the leagues and kept us up here. That £450k has probably returned over £100m (plus his £2.5m transfer fee :-P)

What about McNally? The same could be argued for him.

Looking at real bargains, Fox for the "price of a bag of crisps" was good, as was Tierney, but Russell Martin takes some beating although John Ruddy for £350k may just beat it given he''s potentially a £10m+ player now.

From the last premiership promotion, Damien Francis for £350k and Gary Holt for £150k stand out.

Also think Redmond will be worth £10 million in a year or two.English players are always worth more than European ones.Especially those with as much promise and talent as Redmond

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="NCFC for life 1993-"]So who do we all think has been our best value for money signing? Huckerby? Ashton? What about Ashley ward or Jon Newsome? I''d go Huckerby. The reported fee that I remember was 750.000 for him. Loose change for us now![/quote]

Martin Peters. And the job-lot answer is Culverhouse, Bowen and Crook from Spurs for a combined £130,000 or so,

[/quote]

Don''t forget Gary Brooke as well.LOL. I agree about Peters though.

Grant Holt was a brilliant signing.

The fact that so many are naming him, though, might also have something to do with recency bias.

It''s why best pop song surveys tend to be disproportionately biased to fairly recent releases, or why Lady Di and John Lennon were among the "Top Ten Britons" a few years ago.

[quote user="star_manic"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

Don''t forget Gary Brooke as well.LOL. I agree about Peters though.[/quote]

I understand the argument about Holt but if we are talking about the rise from the third tier to the Pl and consolidation then the major single factor in that was Lambert. Lambert and AN Other as a striker would probably have achieved the same result. Holt and AN Other as a manager probably not.

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

Grant Holt was a brilliant signing.

The fact that so many are naming him, though, might also have something to do with recency bias.

It''s why best pop song surveys tend to be disproportionately biased to fairly recent releases, or why Lady Di and John Lennon were among the "Top Ten Britons" a few years ago.

[/quote]

It does. Holt was a good player - and a great symbol - but doesn''t get into the top three NCFC centre-forwards in my time (Boyer, Davies and Sutton) while Peters walks into the all-time eleven, as does Bowen at left-back. The other signing who rivals Peters as value for money was Keelan, who costs a few thousand pounds.

Value for return has to be Holt, but there are too many players who have contributed so much to Norwich.

Funny that it could be argued that the best singning was made by the worst manager!

I agree that GH gets votes from being so recent.  Having said that, we paid a very small amount for him, and he was crucial in both our promotion campaigns and in staying in the Prem the last 2 seasons.  IMO the most important single player for the last four seasons.  It''s a tough record to beat.

Russ Martin was a good low cost signing.

Bradley Johnson was free.

I agree with Purple though, there are a lot of players from the past that gave back a lot when you consider their transfer fee.

The only thing I will say is that you cannot compare pre decimal costs to post without a fair bit of math conversion and relativity.

Just seen Purple''s post about Lambert and his contribution to our rise to the Prem.  While I agree Lambert played the most important role, GH was the crucial player.  Could Lambert have achieved the same if we''d spent the £400k on another striker ?  Impossible to say but my feeling is Lambert did an amazing job with the squad of players he had, and probably took them to the limit of what they could achieve.  Of those players, GH was amazing in that he was able to go from scoring goals in the physical contest of L1, the step up to the Champ and then still being able to score against top-quality defenders in the Prem.  I''d say it is unlikely another striker would have been able to achieve the same, which could easily have meant the difference between, e.g., getting promoted from the Champ or not.

To be fair, it''s a cracking question to ask and although it will inspire debate you simply can''t get a definite answer to say "This player was the best value for money".

You have to look at the position that player plays in, what he brings/brought to the team and during what time in the clubs history he was playing apart of.  For me, as a generic list i would highlight all of these as being "great value for money signings for various different reasons" during my time of supporting Norwich: -

(List is off the top of my head and i may well have missed out some other influential players)

John Ruddy

Adam Drury

Craig Fleming

Malky Mackay

Gary Holt

Damien Francis

Dean Ashton

Matt Jackson (Weird choice i know, but joined at a time when we were crying out for a decent centre half)

Mark Robins

Darren Huckerby

Dion Dublin

Iwan Roberts

Steen Nedergaard

Marc Edworthy

Leon McKenzie

Wes Hoolahan

Grant Holt

Ashley Ward

Russell Martin

Paul McVeigh

I''m sure there are many more - But if i had to pick out a handful of stand-out "value for money buys" then i would go for the ones highlighted in bold.

Peters at 40,000 is a good shout but what about Big Dunc for 12,000? Players like him and more recently Holty bring far more to the table than just their ability.

So many to pick from and it is difficult to compare a Martin Peters with a Hucks or Grant Holt, but I think they are my three main contenders. Although for entertainment value I would add Mick Channon and certainly remember Keelan and Forbes delivering on value, Keelan really was the greatest GK never to play for England in my book. Oh, and had he stayed longer then Kevin Drinkell at 90k was a bargain, great player for us!  

The OP put Cashton in Value for money....wait a minute...... Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

I think Wes is worth a shout. Not sure how much he cost - but he didn''t push for a move following relegation. Big player in both promotion seasons certainly created a few for Holt.

He has been a constant for us through bad and good times.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="star_manic"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

I understand the argument about Holt but if we are talking about the rise from the third tier to the Pl and consolidation then the major single factor in that was Lambert. Lambert and AN Other as a striker would probably have achieved the same result. Holt and AN Other as a manager probably not.

[/quote]Not so sure about that, 25 goals a year strikers are hard to come by.You''re not telling me had we have Jamie Cureton, Clive Platt, Cody McDonald, Peter Thorne instead of Holt, we would have got out of them 2 leagues?For that reason, its a Grant Holt from me aswell.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="star_manic"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Not so sure about that, 25 goals a year strikers are hard to come by.You''re not telling me had we have Jamie Cureton, Clive Platt, Cody McDonald, Peter Thorne instead of Holt, we would have got out of them 2 leagues?For that reason, its a Grant Holt from me aswell.

[/quote]

That is a remarkably stupid thing to say.