Sign in to follow this  
Canary Brem

OTBC/Goal Music

Don''t think I have seen this posted anywhere else, so apologies if it has.

I went to the recent Panathanaikos friendly and noticed that they didn''t do the prompted OTBC chant before the start of the match, or any goal music when BJ scored his 2 goals.

Does anyone know if this is a change of heart from the club, or they only reserve these for meaningful games?

i remember the day''s we''d score and belt out on the ball city without mid 90''s europ pop or being prompted.

the familie''s on a "day out" need to be guided though these days...

They did for the 2nd goal

I hope they keep the pa guy sounded much better and more professional than th previous two.

Hope they drop the OTBC before games this season

I like the music after the goals. I notice that when say Chelsea score at home that the cheering after the goal doesn''t last anywhere near as long. It''s an initial loud noise, then the odd bit of clapping.

At least with the goal music it boosts the atmosphere.

I''m all for keeping it but know that I''m probably in the minority considering the amount of people who have commented negatively about it on here over the years.

[quote user="Canary Brem"]Don''t think I have seen this posted anywhere else, so apologies if it has.

I went to the recent Panathanaikos friendly and noticed that they didn''t do the prompted OTBC chant before the start of the match, or any goal music when BJ scored his 2 goals.

Does anyone know if this is a change of heart from the club, or they only reserve these for meaningful games?[/quote]Friendly so they dont bother.10,000 of the 14k wouldnt have known the words to OTBC anyway !

I tried singing OTBC at the start in the river end.

I ended up being shushed by a dad taking his kids out. Ho hum.

The OTBC ''experience'' (only £250) is still available on the club shop website - although they appear to only have people signed up to do it for the Everton game so far, all the rest are available...

They haven''t got rid of the prompted "On the ball city" before the match as I know someone who is doing it on Saturday.

Tbh I don''t realy care if they do that or have 100 mascots per game. If you want to do it you have to pay a lot of money, so its another earner for the club. I''m glad since McNally has taken over we''re being run like an actual business. As long as we keep season ticket prices down i''m happy ;)

[quote user="BarclayUpperCut"]I like the OTBC before the match starts...hope they keep it![/quote]Yes keep it before the match, but we all know what''s coming so why the build up -- The Jarrold Stand, the Snake Pit, 3,2,1 How about getting someone from the crowd to start us off every game ? All they''ve got to shout is "Kick it off" and everyone will take it from there.

[quote user="e10_yellow"]The OTBC ''experience'' (only £250) is still available on the club shop website - although they appear to only have people signed up to do it for the Everton game so far, all the rest are available...[/quote]

250 quid for the privilege of shouting 3 words

Some people have too much money.

The club turn off the microphone after a split second of the ''client'' beginning On The Ball City anyway.My view is that if the club do make revenue on the package which includes starting the oldest song in football then that''s absolutely fine.  Any money coming into the club is good for all concerned as I''m sure we all appreciate.However, I do have an issue with the goal music.  To be honest, when we first belted out the goal music - circ. 2001, I loved it, but now I think not only is the song itself dated but the away fans take the mickey and everyone watching Match of the Day can hear it - forming their own opinions..My personal view is that with McNally, Norwich City have generally moved out of this ''little ''ole Norwich'' image, which I think was detrimental to club marketing and signings in general; and the goal music is one of the few remaining ''hangovers'', for want of a better term, from this period in time.Perhaps I''m over thinking this but I''m a firm believer in the fans generating noise and support.  I take the point that one poster has made about Chelsea, but their fans and our fans are World''s apart in terms of ''support''.  I know we are better than ''the plastic fans'' of the corporate generation and I know that our fans at FCR can cheer and shout after goals without the prompting of the club. 

Gah, the goal music! I loathe it. Stop it, it was embarrasing and old in 2004.

And stop playing that horrible, ancient old Fatboy Slim track before the game. I hated it in the 90''s and I hate it now. There''s plenty of great music about Norwich, anything is better than that earache.

[quote user="Jonzey"]Gah, the goal music! I loathe it. Stop it, it was embarrasing and old in 2004.

And stop playing that horrible, ancient old Fatboy Slim track before the game. I hated it in the 90''s and I hate it now. There''s plenty of great music about Norwich, anything is better than that earache.[/quote]

Goal music has nothing to do with celebrating and more to do with choreographing a crowd like at a night club.  We don''t need it.    The instant reaction to a goal is to cheer and then clap and talk about the goal.   With the goal music the initial excitement is replaced by a mindless beat which actually stops people from talking about the goal.   You lose imo the spontaneity of the reaction to the goal almost straight away.   

The reaction to our away goals is much better - yes I know  we are bunched together and sing more anyway at away matches, but the talk about the goal goes on longer and your initial excitement isn''t interupted by the boom boom boom of an artificial beat.     Its a football match not a night club.