Sign in to follow this  
Cobain18

Grant Holt's point proven

I know it''s only a friendly but England need to stop selecting the ''big'' ''famous'' players and select the players that deserve it based on form!

Just to clarify, I don''t mean stop selecting big game players, just stop selecting the Andy Carolls of this world

The thing is that now Holt is going to be forgotten when he accomplished pretty much the same things as Lambert.

Rose up through from the lower leagues, was the main goal scoring force in his side, both scored 15 goals in their first prem season.

However one got a wonder debut because of a bunch of injuries to other forwards.

It feels like lady luck is taking the piss.

I''m not saying Holt would have made it or failed at international level and my point isn''t even exclusive to Holt. I do think we overlook so many ''form'' players like Holt and Lambert though because they don''t play for a big club.

We as a country need to make the most out of the resources we have because we''re not a world class team, we need to start giving chances to people who deserve it. Carroll is an example of someone who gets gifted chance after chance and does nothing!

Lambert got into the team because some of our first choice strikers are injuredUnfortunately Holt didn''t get the same fortunate timing to find form.So happy for Lambert though!

Depends on his form, but again, hope he doesn''t face an uphill struggle because he''s not a ''popular'' player or at a big club

I''m pleased that Lambert scored - but realistically he missed 2 absolute sitters.Saying that - he was miles better than rooney - but again so were the rest of the team!

I think saying he missed two sitters isn''t quite true. One most certainly wasn''t a sitter and the other he should have scored but was a deflection before he hit it.

Having said that, compare him to Carroll, Sturridge, Welbeck. All I''m saying is that he deserves a chance and based on what I''ve seen deserves another. We should be giving form players chances - hope we see more of it next season

I think the national team are set for some years in the wilderness and struggling to qualify for the World Cup and Euros.We play like a team with little idea.

I''ve read todays press and its obvious from their reports that Holt only has himself to blame for not getting an England chance. If he''d managed to get a job in a Beetroot factory he would''ve been called up no problem.

Andy Carroll is a good player.

Would be nice if most of the people who criticise him actually watch him and forget about the stupid amount of money Liverpool paid for him.

He''s a very good target man, got an amazing shot with his head. Big, strong, fairly mobile, holds the ball up, very hard to defend against. Its not his fault Liverpool paid £35 million for him.

And Rooney is one of our best players. Again, watch him. He quite clearly is. Just isn''t a top 3 player like he''s often overhyped to be.

2 very good points Ginger Pele. I still think taking Carroll to the euros was a waste and Holt should have had is chance to shine in one of the two preceding friendlies.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Andy Carroll is a good player.

[/quote]

no he isn''t.. Andy Carroll is an Average player, made to look better by playing in sides with better players than he is!

he''s had a couple of decent seasons but will always be a nearly man.

I''d wager he wont be a premiership player within the next 3 years....