Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Clarke Carlisle - Depression In Football

The guy is a total star.

I don''t think we have a grasp on the pressures that exist in the game. If he doesn''t end up with a position in the FA to help tackle the problem there is no justice.

He is the Chairman of the PFA, why would he want a position in the FA? 
He currently represents 4000 current and former professional footballers, the PFA is a union, so if he wants to pressurise the FA into doing something then he is already in the best place to do so.
It was actually the PFA who forced the abolition of the maximum salary through threat of strike action, so if there is a big problem with players having too much money at too young an age and then getting depressed when things start going wrong or they have to try and adapt to real life, then the PFA as an organisation when applied in a historical context have a lot to answer for. 

Thought it was a very moving programme.Clarke Carlisle came across as a caring intelligent person and not at all like the average footballer. Having been through it himself his meetings with various ex-players and Gary Speed''s sister really brought home how things can affect people below the surface.Leon McKenzie featured but there wasn''t anything with Darren Eadie which was a shame.Well worth watching.

[quote user="Wazzy van Donkeydangler"]why would he want a position in the FA? 

Because they are the ones who appear to need educating.

[/quote]
If he wants to apply pressure to the FA then his current job is the right one. You don''t stand down as the Chairman of the PFA in the strongest footballing country in the world to take some token liaison / glorified counselor job within the FA, would be a massive backwards step.

I may be wrong but I think he had to stand down as chairman of the PFA as he has stopped playing. This was a very moving programme and he was very brave to do it as were the others that contributed. This is as we know a problem that goes well beyond football. The Lee hendrie bit underlined how so many footballers manage to lose most if not all of their wealth. As for Clarke as well as being brave I suspect the programme was also part of trying to check his own demons as it is clear he still has problems, it will be hoped that he manages to get on top of them. Mental Health is dealt with very badly in this country with a lack of resources as well as being a bit of a taboo topic, 10% of all males living rough are ex military which is a scandal. Perhaps there are some comparisons here between military and sport, occupations which have highs and lows, tend to be short and difficult to adapt once left

The New Boy (Le Juge)"]it was actually the PFA who forced the abolition of the maximum salary through threat of strike action, so if there is a big problem with players having too much money at too young an age and then getting depressed when things start going wrong or they have to try and adapt to real life, then the PFA as an organisation when applied in a historical context have a lot to answer for."

Jeez. By the same logic, if black people have trouble coping in the modern world, it''s their forebears fault for campaigning to end slavery.

I realise you are devoted to trolling and winding us all up but even so, what ridiculous twaddle.

Not Sure where this leads to, surely there could be Depression in Decorating, Depression in Shelf stacking, Must be harder in football, earning thousands of pounds a week, flash cars, nice house, designer clothes, model wife, no money worries!!

Very brave of you Zema to display your ignorance to the world so brazenly. Must have taken courage.

Almost as much as it takes apparently successful sports people to admit that their mental health is damaged. Even the PFA admits that 20% of Premier League players are broke within three years of retirement. About a third are divorced. Just look on here at the abuse and hate players get. That''s from their own fans never mind the opposition. I would struggle to cope with that.

Sports people have always been prone to hangers on who want to share the fame and more importantly the money. Anyway, there is ample evidence that having wealth does not increase wellbeing despite the dream the media sells us every day.

It was a powerful and moving programme. I thought it very interesting when CC was in the ground at QPR talking about how as a youngster his every move was scrutinised, commented upon and how he tried to deal with the heckling from the stands. How when he missed the header in the play off final he drank all summer feeling worthless and that he had let the club and the supporters down. Really moving when he went back to where he tried to overdose and the session with Gary Speed''s sister. I think for those happy to dole out spite and invective either at the ground or on internet sites, and for anybody who thinks that if you have footballing fame and money you should never suffer from depression, this would be a real eye-opener.

CambridgeCanary wrote - "Anyway, there is ample evidence that having wealth does not increase wellbeing despite the dream the media sells us every day. "

Absolute Bullshit.

medical studies have shown that anything over 25k p.a. has no impact on happiness. The point is to highlight using high profile individual what a major unaddressed health problem this is.

Because anyone earning over £25k is likely to be in a lot happier place than those on the Dole or on Disability allowance. We are a wealthy nation, depression is a lot more prevalent in the low earners, women and certain ethnic minorities. I''m not shedding a tear over a handful of guys that were lucky enough to be born with a physical advantage over millions of others.

if Clarke Carlisle has any sense he will stay away from the FA "the old pals act" and being told what to say and will continue to make realistic and enjoyable documentaries on the other side of the game.

this will open people''s eyes more.

The point is to counter ignorance and prejudice. Footballers do not deserve any more or less consideration than anyone else that is ill but it is an illness which unlike physical illnesses frequently goes unaddressed just becasue of the ignorance and prejudice.

There is NO correlation between the money you earn and the chance of suffering depression. It can happen to anyone, in any walk of life, on any income.

[quote user="Id fly over 1p5wich tomorrow..."]There is NO correlation between the money you earn and the chance of suffering depression. It can happen to anyone, in any walk of life, on any income.[/quote]

That being the case, Sid the shelf stacker should receive equal programming time but he won''t get it, will he? This is not just a glib point, as most average families who have a loved one going through depression have limited awareness of how to deal with it and, consequently, it can take a significant toll and differences of opinion between family members who should all be pulling together at such times. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Id fly over 1p5wich tomorrow..."]There is NO correlation between the money you earn and the chance of suffering depression. It can happen to anyone, in any walk of life, on any income.[/quote]

That being the case, Sid the shelf stacker should receive equal programming time but he won''t get it, will he? This is not just a glib point, as most average families who have a loved one going through depression have limited awareness of how to deal with it and, consequently, it can take a significant toll and differences of opinion between family members who should all be pulling together at such times. 

[/quote]

So because there can''t be a TV show about everyone with depression, there shouldn''t be one at all?

Using household names such as footballers, who many see as having the perfect life (see stupid earlier comments), draws attention to the issue and how it can affect anybody. It''s horrible to say it, but doing a TV show about Sid the shelf stacker''s depression isn''t going to get much interest because the viewer has no idea who Sid is, all they know about him is he has depression. By using people that the public has already some knowledge of creates the thought ''I''d never expect HIM to have depression...''. That thought is exactly what this kind of show is going for.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Because anyone earning over £25k is likely to be in a lot happier place than those on the Dole or on Disability allowance. We are a wealthy nation, depression is a lot more prevalent in the low earners, women and certain ethnic minorities. I''m not shedding a tear over a handful of guys that were lucky enough to be born with a physical advantage over millions of others.[/quote]

You are completely wrong. You clearly do not understand clinical depression. You really shouldn''t make such bold statements when you do not have any knowledge of the topic being discussed. It makes you look very stupid.

The simple truth is that depression can affect anyone. Depression doesn''t care how rich or poor you are. It''s a mental illness cause by physical chemicals in the brain that are unbalanced. People can be be born with these unbalances.

I think the point of footballers being used to promote depression is very appropriate. It educates people like yourself who have the very common misconception that there is a link between money and the illness.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

So because there can''t be a TV show about everyone with depression, there shouldn''t be one at all?

Using household names such as footballers, who many see as having the perfect life (see stupid earlier comments), draws attention to the issue and how it can affect anybody. It''s horrible to say it, but doing a TV show about Sid the shelf stacker''s depression isn''t going to get much interest because the viewer has no idea who Sid is, all they know about him is he has depression. By using people that the public has already some knowledge of creates the thought ''I''d never expect HIM to have depression...''. That thought is exactly what this kind of show is going for.

[/quote]

That is not what I said Bethnal and you know it. I am advocating for more public awareness, not less.

Now, with respect to the point you are making, unfortunately, that is the way television addresses a problem like depression. They take a celebrity who has gone through issues and put together a programme to highlight it. That may be better than nothing in terms of enhancing awareness but, in my view, it usually falls far short of what is really required. Most people who either view such programmes and comment upon it usually focus on the celebrity aspect rather than the illness. You see Bethnal, you don''t need celebrity focus to make good programmes, you just need good programmes. This is the point I am really making. Television does a reasonably good job of bringing awareness to the public of ordinary people exposed to various illnesses, however, depression is generally avoided. Why? People need to understand that it is an illness that can affect anyone and shown examples of how ordinary people can cope more effectively. 

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Because anyone earning over £25k is likely to be in a lot happier place than those on the Dole or on Disability allowance. We are a wealthy nation, depression is a lot more prevalent in the low earners, women and certain ethnic minorities. I''m not shedding a tear over a handful of guys that were lucky enough to be born with a physical advantage over millions of others.[/quote]

Wow. Just wow.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That is not what I said Bethnal and you know it. I am advocating for more public awareness, not less.

Now, with respect to the point you are making, unfortunately, that is the way television addresses a problem like depression. They take a celebrity who has gone through issues and put together a programme to highlight it. That may be better than nothing in terms of enhancing awareness but, in my view, it usually falls far short of what is really required. Most people who either view such programmes and comment upon it usually focus on the celebrity aspect rather than the illness. You see Bethnal, you don''t need celebrity focus to make good programmes, you just need good programmes. This is the point I am really making. Television does a reasonably good job of bringing awareness to the public of ordinary people exposed to various illnesses, however, depression is generally avoided. Why? People need to understand that it is an illness that can affect anyone and shown examples of how ordinary people can cope more effectively. 

[/quote]

Sorry, I was taking your point too far.

But I think as a starting point, using people who are in the public eye is not a bad idea - it helps remove the stigma of depression suffers as people who are either weak, or faking it for benefits. Also, this show was riding on the back of some fairly horrible events in the last 18 months or so and basically jumping on the band wagon.

I haven''t seen the programme mentioned but I have seen a few interviews with CC on the subject. In these interviews he has highlighted  the fact that most footballers only focus is on football whether it is training, playing, practice or "bants" with team mates. Once that''s removed from their lives there is a huge void which they cannot fill. He talks about how he purposely pursued new challenges (business degree, media work, painting, PFA work, other campaigning) while winding down his career to counter this, however he is an intelligent man whereas most footballers are not and don''t even consider things after football.For me the point about money and status doesn''t come into it, its the void of a purpose to life that leads to the depression. Most people look forward to retirement because their work is just something to pay the bills, footballers generally love their job and don''t want to stop it.

I think there is a lot of truth in the theory that money can''t buy happiness. I have been reading Gazza''s autobiography which was published a few years ago. He seems to have been depressed off and on throughout his life. Even owning NINE Harley Davidsons (WHY FFS??), a hunting lodge on Loch Lomond, a big house in Renfrewshire, and being able to go out and spend 87,000 pounds on a top of the range BMW didn''t seem to do much to improve his state of happiness (I must admit those things would have lifted the gloom a little for me!!). 

On the other side of the coin I have a short story from the paradise island of Bali where I was fortunate enough to spend some time a few years ago. I spoke to a lovely local chap who was my guide for the day on an excursion and asked him how the islanders managed on so little money - "Bali people very happy," was his succinct reply. That put me in my place. I could understand there happiness, though, with perfect weather and glorious scenery. Beats Luton or Gateshead any day of the week.

Just look at Gazza, has''nt played a serious game in 10 years, but still manages to go out and buy Gordons Gin, i work 5 days a week, i can not afford to do that, Gazza has a roof over his head, no obvisouly money worries, so if they have a decent career, and put away their money correctly, they should be able to live happily ever after!! wheres the depression in that, where as in the real world, alot of normal 8-5 a day, 5 days a week, does not know how they will heat there house when they hit retirement!!! just WAKE UP!!

[quote user="zemas tendon"]Just look at Gazza, has''nt played a serious game in 10 years, but still manages to go out and buy Gordons Gin, i work 5 days a week, i can not afford to do that, Gazza has a roof over his head, no obvisouly money worries, so if they have a decent career, and put away their money correctly, they should be able to live happily ever after!! wheres the depression in that, where as in the real world, alot of normal 8-5 a day, 5 days a week, does not know how they will heat there house when they hit retirement!!! just WAKE UP!![/quote]

Shakes head in disbelief at this post.

lincoln - I hope he stays there - canary wrote -

"You are completely wrong. You clearly do not understand clinical depression. You really shouldn''t make such bold statements when you do not have any knowledge of the topic being discussed. It makes you look very stupid.

The simple truth is that depression can affect anyone. Depression doesn''t care how rich or poor you are. It''s a mental illness cause by physical chemicals in the brain that are unbalanced. People can be be born with these unbalances.

I think the point of footballers being used to promote depression is very appropriate. It educates people like yourself who have the very common misconception that there is a link between money and the illness."

I think I understand it as well, if not better than you but you obviously are too stupid to get my point. The difference between low and high earners in a wealthy nation such as ours means that low earners and previously high earners now in a low earning bracket are more likely to suffer from depression. Yes, it can affect everyone but some groups are more susceptible.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="zemas tendon"]Just look at Gazza, has''nt played a serious game in 10 years, but still manages to go out and buy Gordons Gin, i work 5 days a week, i can not afford to do that, Gazza has a roof over his head, no obvisouly money worries, so if they have a decent career, and put away their money correctly, they should be able to live happily ever after!! wheres the depression in that, where as in the real world, alot of normal 8-5 a day, 5 days a week, does not know how they will heat there house when they hit retirement!!! just WAKE UP!![/quote]

[/quote]

You would shake your head, because you have had a silver spoon stuck firmly up it!!

[quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

You would shake your head, because you have had a silver spoon stuck firmly up it!!

[/quote]

Shakes head again because if only you had the slightest idea what you are on about. Immature and ignorant do not even get close but keep digging if you want.