Sign in to follow this  
Lets be aving you!

Norwich bets

Not normally a betting person but thinking about putting a bet on Norwich this week. Just can''t make my mind up where the best value lies.

Top-10 finish (about 10/3) looks tempting, as does the Premier League Season Handicap (about 16/1, or 4/1 each way for a top-4 place in the Handicap table).

Anyone else put on a Norwich-related bet for this season?

Yep. Backed us on the handicap with +40 points at 15.5.

Lay of us to be relegated at 3/1.

And I wouldn''t take 10/3 for a Top 10 finish when you can get 4/1 elsewhere.

Come and join us every week on Rays Funds buddy! The new thread is up tonight. [Y]

As for those bets, I don''t normally but those look tempting. I also remember last season, and every season, the bookies take too much notice of early results. I think in early October Norwich were 8/11 for relegation with QPR 7\2! I know where my money went [:)]

4/1 on a top 10 finish does look pretty compelling.

I know RVW could break a leg on Saturday, but we did finish 11th last season and are arguably stronger. Gary Neville has us down as dark horses for the season, and he''s pretty astute.

I very rarely bet on Norwich but I made £100 on Murray winning Wimbledon and decided to whack it all on City finishing top 10..I got 5/1 on Bet365 about a month ago.. now at 9/2

4/1 for a top 10 is very tempting (I''m not a betting man normally)

I guess at those odds, Jamie Redknapp will be putting his fortune against that (whatever the betting parlance is)

I''ve only got a bet with my mate. £50 that Norwich finish top 10 and a further £50 on Man Utd being outside the top 2.
Think I''ve pocketed myself £100 there, or maybe evens if Moyes pulls it out the bag. Should probably have just done it with the bookies, but is more fun when its with the lads!

"If you use a handicap of say -40 points if norwich were to get 41 points this season then you would have won the money you put on."

I may be wrong, but that''s not how I understand it.

All the teams in the Premier League are given handicaps (depending on the bookie, we are given 41 points, Man Utd and Chelsea typically 0, and Palace around 47).

Then, come the end of the season, the actual points achieved by each individual team is added to the relevant handicap points for each team, and a league table produced from this.

The team at the top wins. We are at odds of about 16 to 1, I think. You can also do an each-way bet of a quarter of these odds (i.e. 4 to 1) for a top 4 finish in this handicap table.

Please correct me anyone if I''m wrong on this.

[quote user="HoltsDerbyDayHattrick"]If you use a handicap of say -40 points if norwich were to get 41 points this season then you would have won the money you put on.[/quote]No, No it''s not

quote user="Let''s be ''aving you!"]

"If you use a handicap of say -40 points if norwich were to get 41 points this season then you would have won the money you put on."

I may be wrong, but that''s not how I understand it.

All the teams in the Premier League are given handicaps (depending on the bookie, we are given 41 points, Man Utd and Chelsea typically 0, and Palace around 47).

Then, come the end of the season, the actual points achieved by each individual team is added to the relevant handicap points for each team, and a league table produced from this.

The team at the top wins. We are at odds of about 16 to 1, I think. You can also do an each-way bet of a quarter of these odds (i.e. 4 to 1) for a top 4 finish in this handicap table.

Please correct me anyone if I''m wrong on this.

[/quote
I see, thanks for that. So what was our handicap last season and where did we finish at the end of the season, does anyone know.
? It''s pretty much a bet on which team performs above what the bookies expect at the start of the season. Quite a good option if you want to bet on Norwich since we are constantly underrated.

The only warning I''d give for a handicap bet is that often it''s a tie. So the payouts are halved, at least !! Think about it, a handicap exists purely to even up the field.

It is though, a fun season long bet :-)