Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Massive game for Bradley Johnson/ Howson/ Tettey vs Everton

It seems Leroy Fer will be a shoe in when he returns.

Johnson is on the back of a match winning performance in the last friendly but now must be looking to show he has the quality to play alongside Fer in the middle.

Tettey ended the season as the odd one out of the three but has shown promise in pre season and if selected, will have to play very well to convince.

Howson ended the season in style after a long period of fairly mediocre form. Not noticed him much pre season, but i reckon he''ll start and it''ll be up to him to show he''s tough enough to play in our midfield or he may go the way of Fox.

Perhaps Fer may even be coming for Hoolahan''s position too?

All in all, it should mean our midfielders are in effect potentially playing for their futures (at least for the moment anyway).

Hard to judge Tettey, he was excellent when he first came into the team and gained significant national attention also but like Bassong was carrying an injury for a large part of the season. He has a history of knee problems and I really hope he can overcome it to become the player his early promise showed.

A fully firing Tettey and Fer in the centre of midfield could be brilliant, both able to go forward but both able to tackle and provide defensive cover. A perfect double pivot combination.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]A fully firing Tettey and Fer in the centre of midfield could be brilliant, both able to go forward but both able to tackle and provide defensive cover. A perfect double pivot combination.[/quote]Spot on.

Also agreed! Was imperious before Swansea away where he missed out with injury then his post xmas form dipped (as did most players) and he has been branded with a poor passing attribute for a few games in that period that he was poor.

Definitely think Tetteys pace and strength allow us to play a single holding midfield on a pivot, which will hopefully help up top. Don''t see johnson as being able to do that myself.

I think you all maybe wrong on this?....when Fer comes back I can see Hughton playing him just behind Van Wolfswinkel.

Johnson in my opinion is the first choice central mid.....its a straight fight between Howson and Tettey for the other.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

I think you all maybe wrong on this?....when Fer comes back I can see Hughton playing him just behind Van Wolfswinkel.

Johnson in my opinion is the first choice central mid.....its a straight fight between Howson and Tettey for the other.

[/quote]

I think Fer will only play that position unless Hughton can''t sign someone to fill it - Fer can play there, but is much more effective further back, where he can have more influence on the game.

I think there will be more rotation in midfield this season (or at least hope so) and players will come in and out depending on fitness and form.

Agreed Bethnal!

I see Johnson or Tettey as the holding player.

Fer as the, hate the cliche, ''Box-to-box'' player and...

Either Hoolahan or Howson as the AM.

For me Fer would be wasted too far forward and is the sort of player who can control a game from the centre of the park.

Although I did like the way I saw Hughton rotate these players in midfield so the formation was not quite as rigid.

Keeps the opposition guessing and dealing with different styles in different positions.  Make pre game planning for the opposition a bit of a nightmare.

Total Football! or am I just wishing on a pipedream?[^o)]

After all we do have a Dutch influence now![:D]

Snake

Tettey''s big weakness is his passing, although he is OK with the short, simple stuff. If playing alongside Fer allows him to carry the ball forward (which we know he can do) and release it to one of the front four then I can see him being in contention.

Johnson is the least exciting player of the three but invaluable at set pieces, either attacking or defending.

Howson is a Jack of all trades who displays occasional flashes of brilliance.

Tough call between who plays out of them alongside Fer, can we not sell all of them and get another in the mould of Fer?

In some interview Hughton was quite clear that he sees Fer best at a bit deeper role, but is delighted that he is able to play in pocket too.

So I''m quite sure Fer will play deeper. Also I still cant see Howson to be our advanced playmaker in Hoolahan role.

So in my opinion it is

----------Newguy/Hoolahan--------------

Johnson / Tettey - Fer / Howson-----

Who starts against Everton is questionmark for me as I didnt see many of our preseason games and have no idea how able trio played there. I''m still quite sure Wes is behind the striker. I probably would start with Johnson - Tettey to see their form in real game and who we should pick alongside Fer when he comes for second game.

I think it''s a tricky area. Howson and Tettey are clearly going to be better suited to playing on the right of the middle. Johnson is more suited to the left.

I''d like to know how comfortable Fer is playing on the left of centre.

But I think they''ll all feature quite a bit because it''s a long season and a squad game.

This is a tough one. Typically I''d say Howson>Johnson>Tettey. I do think that Tettey will be on the bench more often than not and that Johnson and Howson could be great together in the center. I haven''t warmed to Tettey yet.

I think the refreshing thing from last season was how our team reacted in those last games to a bad run of form, it was our first bad run in 3 years and I had wondered what might happen once the crest of the wave we were surfing on all the way since league 1 had passed. The likes of Hull, Ipswich, Blackpool and Burnley have shown how easily it can all fall apart at this level after a good start. Having all these options in the centre should keep everyone on their toes and the big slump shouldn''t happen this time round.

This is a very nice dilemma. Which of five very capable central midfielders will take the three positions?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I think the refreshing thing from last season was how our team reacted in those last games to a bad run of form, it was our first bad run in 3 years and I had wondered what might happen once the crest of the wave we were surfing on all the way since league 1 had passed. The likes of Hull, Ipswich, Blackpool and Burnley have shown how easily it can all fall apart at this level after a good start. Having all these options in the centre should keep everyone on their toes and the big slump shouldn''t happen this time round.[/quote]

^This

I''m sitting in my office and clapping at your comment. My office mate is giving me a very nervous look.

Fer no doubt will make them better players as will snoddy, Redmond and pilky. But I would agree with the majority of the opinion on here tettey showed more at the start of last season to prove he can be considered ahead of Johnson. T is a big ask as Johnson has held his position well and certainly is no weak link.

But I would like fer, tettey and Howson in a midfield three with rvw supported by snoddy and another.

We will see but I would like to see those new additions soon as with fer the central midfield looks like to be the one that struggled in so many game after Xmas, note that this was when tettey struggled to get back from injury.

Good threadI would go with Bethnal''s thoughts -I think there will be more rotation in midfield this season (or at

least hope so) and players will come in and out depending on fitness and

form.

I would also add that none of the current players

mentioned have been ''dropped upon us'' meaning we are having to sort out where

to play him. All have been brought into the club based on who we already have and what then their role will (which

is actually the debate, some would say).Much will factor on how much the team selection will be based on adjusting to the oppositions line up and how much will be on our best 11 on the day is. Teams like the (old) Stoke will always require a different line up to games against most others, but I would still like us to set out our stall to our strengths and let others worry about us instead.The other question is what role for the two ''forgotten men'' ... Fox and Butterfield ? If they stay will they be merely back up or can anyone see them starting a league game when the others are all available ? If not, is there another midfielder still to come in to replace Fox (or even Hoolahan)? And how many seasons are we away from when one or two of the development/youth players are ready to step up to a midfield role ?

GJP wrote - "I think it''s a tricky area. Howson and Tettey are clearly going to be better suited to playing on the right of the middle. Johnson is more suited to the left.

I''d like to know how comfortable Fer is playing on the left of centre."

Johnson and Tettey are right footed, whilst Fer and Howson are ambipedal. For my money two footed players are worth that little bit more; Pilks looks just as good on the right as the left where as Benno and Snoddy suffer when switching from their preferred position.

Agree with Bethnal and City 1st. I would hope there is a lot more rotation this year, so that we get the opportunity to rest players. Hughton felt unable to do that last season and I think that was a significant contribution to our dip in form after Xmas.
So for me it is not a massive game for them, just a game where they get the nod and there will be many more games where they get the nod as the season progresses.
OTBC

reading all the above options i''d have to agree with snake eyes...a bit. not quite total footbal but plenty of options using versatile players in mid/att mid. will def make us more attacking but also strong on the defensive side of mid.