Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Grant Holt interview with Macca today

Did anyone hear the Holty interview today with Mr McVeigh? If so would you be kind enough to give a summary of what was said for the benefit of us that didn''t get to hear it - cheers : )

yer tiz

if it''s the one on radio snore folk then it''''ll be available to listen to ........ soon

Quite revealing actually.......Holt said in his own words that he wanted to leave because he had "had enough". He didnt enjoy the role Hughton was asking him to play and didn''t enjoy the defensive way that theteam was being set up.  Also said that his family/geography sitaution wasnt something that was foremost in him wanting to move.

More surprisingly he revealed that he asked Hughton for a move in January but was turned down.

It seems rather a shame after hearing this that with the promise of more attack minded players around him ,he might have been persuaded to stay?

On his departure he said that he wasn''t happy with the way things were going, the way the team was playing and his role in the team. He was still enjoying being at the club and the people, but he wasn''t enjoying his football. Say''s that he wanted to go in January but was told that wouldn''t happen but was given assurances that if we stayed up it would be looked at again in the summer.

Spoke fondly of the previous 3 years but obviously didn''t enjoy last year.

Same thoughts GJL. I would assume the Calderwood factor would not have helped either.

The test will be how happy we perceive Hooper and RVW to be after 12 or so games

Thanks for the replies City, GJL and Brownstone - thought it would be a frank and interesting interview, just a shame he didn''t enjoy the last year or so from a footballing perspective. I wonder if the idea from Hughton to review Grant''s situation during the summer came about because he knew we''d be strengthening our attacking options and thought Holty might buy into it once manager and board started putting their money where their mouth is? Whatever, it''s a shame that''s the way Grant felt after an incredible previous 3 seasons, we could have done with giving him a proper send off (though I gather he tried that himself a few times late in the season ; )). I did hear his favourite memory was something to do with dumping Lambert in a bath tub or something, what was that all about?!.

It also does sound like we may well have let Grant have his wish and go in January had we secured RvW''s and Hooper''s signature then...

jas the barclay king wrote the following post "i''m not bothered with what wigan have to say"

In the end it is about what happened at the club, and is thus always of interest. No coincidence that Morison was also quoted last season as complaining about the defensive tactics. Both our first choice strikers wanted to leave last January.

Cheers City1st old chap, will listen to it when I can get to my laptop as Vodafone will likely charge me RvW''s transfer fee to listen in on my mobile

Sounds like sour grapes. Knows deep down he''s not top dog anymore and would lucky to make the bench now. Still a great fan though.

-- Sounds like sour grapes. Knows deep down he''s not top dog anymore and would lucky to make the bench now. Still a great fan though.

Didn''t sound like sour grapes in the interview and he didn''t say a bad word about anyone at the club, or the club itself.

To be honest it was a good move for him. He''s 32, got a three year contract out of it and get''s to play in the Europa league. He''s also closer to Carlisle. This season he was going to be a bit part player at best, and he needs regular football to keep him fit.

Slightly off topic, who watched the community shield? Played as the lone striker and I thought was very quiet.

He was always going to leave at some point. At least he went quite amicably. Strange that he hasn''t really explained last summers transfer request as well.

I hold nothing against Holt but it was plain to see to most that we simply couldn''t continue to play the way we did under Lambert. Hell, even Lambert doesn''t line villa up like that.

Too predictable, too haphazard - often too narrow.

Getting in a new defence (Bassong, Turner, Garrido, Whitaker) meant reinforcements further up the field would be limited. Snodgrass the only real attacking addition last season.

We now have that solid base to add the likes of Redmond, Fer, Hooper and RVW.

I think if he hadn''t wanted to go we wouldn''t have moved him on. That said I think you can get away with more attacking Footy in the Championship, less so in the Prem where precision counter attacking can slice you apart.

Top man Grant. One can only but have sympathy with him over the style of football we experienced last season. But with all our new ''attacking'' acquisitions maybe things will improve this season.

All things considered it was the right time for both the club and Holt to move on......I can say that now,but when it was announced he had signed for Wigan I didnt feel that way at all. I will be looking for and expecting his goals to get Wigan into the play-offs at least, absolute legend.

Hotly is a legend but I''m a bit disappointed at him putting extra pressure on Hoot like that on the eve of the new season. Fact is Holt wanted to leave and tried to leave before Hughton was even appointed. He was in a silk and not in great shape all season. He may not have liked Hughton''s tactics but I don''t believe that''s the main reason he left or even that big a factor.