Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Mounir El Hamdaoui

Reports out of holland say we have given up on Ola and are after this guy, whoever he is...

El Hamadaoui was very successful in Holland over a few seasons, although any striker playing alongside Suarez is going to get plenty of chances to score. Had a difficult time in Italy, mainly coming on from the bench.
Hughton was Martin Jol''s assistant at Tottenham when El Hamadoui signed there for a season so I presume he knows a bit about him. Is certainly a less promising prospect (on paper) than Toivonen and Quagliarella.

Before falling out with Frank de Boer and not playing for Ajax during 2011-12 his record between 07-08 to 2010-11 looks ok to me:

2007-08 AZ Alkmaar 11 + 12 apps 7 goals

2008-09 AZ A.          31 apps          23 goals

2009-10 AZ. A.         26 + 1 apps    20 goals

2010-11 Ajax            25 + 1 apps     13 goals

2012-13 Florentina      3 + 16 apps     3 goals

DOB. 14/7/84 Born in Rotterdam Has played for the Netherlands U21 (3 apps 1 goal) and for Morocco (5 apps 2 goals)

6'' tall

Can remember when he was in England as a kid was really highly rated but didn''t get a chance at Spurs. Don''t know anything else about him but seems to wear number 10 on his back and we need one of those. 

If we''re in for him then surely this means the end of the pursuit of not just Toivonen but Quagliarella as well?. Oh well, 54 pages for nothing then but at least we managed to get in 37 different arguments on the go so it wasn''t totally a lost cause afterall...

I don''t sense the Toivonen move is dead yet, although he has not endeared himself to Norwich fans with his protracted deliberations. Sometimes though good things are worth waiting for

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Best years behind him, 3 goals in 2 years! not excited about this one. If it was January smacks of panic buy[/quote]
He fell out with his manager and didn''t play for a year, doesn''t mean he is shot. Fiorentina are a very good team. He has only just turned 29 so bet he has a bit left in the tank.  
I will trust Hughton on this one, he obviously knows this player very well from his Spurs days. 

All mitigation fact remains he is 29 and only scored 3 goals in last 2 seasons, albeit his earlier career was very impressive. I am sure we can do far better and will

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]All mitigation fact remains he is 29 and only scored 3 goals in last 2 seasons, albeit his earlier career was very impressive. I am sure we can do far better and will[/quote]
I''ve just seen two videos which show all his moves in two Fiorentina games and he still looks class to me. Looked like he was playing the Hoolahan role in those games behind Luca Toni, far too deep to be judged on goals..... unless you want to judge Hoolahan''s contribution purely on his 4 goals in 39 games last season.    
He managed 20 appearances for a team which finished 4th in Serie A, so hardly a has been. 

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]All mitigation fact remains he is 29 and only scored 3 goals in last 2 seasons, albeit his earlier career was very impressive. I am sure we can do far better and will[/quote]
I''ve just seen two videos which show all his moves in two Fiorentina games and he still looks class to me. Looked like he was playing the Hoolahan role in those games behind Luca Toni, far too deep to be judged on goals..... unless you want to judge Hoolahan''s contribution purely on his 4 goals in 39 games last season.    
He managed 20 appearances for a team which finished 4th in Serie A, so hardly a has been. 

[/quote]

Three starts and 16 from the bench. Yes, Fiorentina are a good side, but those statistics do not inspire confidence. Of all the strikers/attackers we have been linked with (in this case not very authoritatively) he is the least exciting.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]All mitigation fact remains he is 29 and only scored 3 goals in last 2 seasons, albeit his earlier career was very impressive. I am sure we can do far better and will[/quote]

[/quote]

Three starts and 16 from the bench. Yes, Fiorentina are a good side, but those statistics do not inspire confidence. Of all the strikers/attackers we have been linked with (in this case not very authoritatively) he is the least exciting.

[/quote]
I''d have to rank Maxi Lopez as the least exciting personally. 
I see what you are saying but if we are going to miss out on our #1 and #2 targets then we need somebody, and if £2m is the rumoured fee then seems pretty low risk to me. That would leave plenty in the kitty for January, and the potential is there for him to rediscover his form.
Think you and me have agreed before that Toivanan would be perfect for this league and for us, but if he doesn''t want to come then he doesn''t want to come. We are running out of time. 
Just found out that he suffered a couple of injuries by the way, last season, so that would explain the lack of impact. 

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]All mitigation fact remains he is 29 and only scored 3 goals in last 2 seasons, albeit his earlier career was very impressive. I am sure we can do far better and will[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I''d have to rank Maxi Lopez as the least exciting personally. 
I see what you are saying but if we are going to miss out on our #1 and #2 targets then we need somebody, and if £2m is the rumoured fee then seems pretty low risk to me. That would leave plenty in the kitty for January, and the potential is there for him to rediscover his form.
Think you and me have agreed before that Toivanan would be perfect for this league and for us, but if he doesn''t want to come then he doesn''t want to come. We are running out of time. 
Just found out that he suffered a couple of injuries by the way, last season, so that would explain the lack of impact. 

[/quote]

I didn''t know about the injuries, although he was plainly fit enough to come off the bench 16 times. I take some of what you say, but there are still three weeks left of the transfer window, and this is a key decision. We cannot afford, either in terms of money or a squad place, to buy a player because the better options seem out of reach. Certainly not until all options have been exhausted, and the history of the transfer window suggests that is nowhere near the case.

I do like Toivonen. He could be the Holt replacement (because Becchio isn''t good enough) and give us the option of a line leader, but can play other roles. I don''t know but I suspect El Hamdaoui can''t play as a target man. And if we are looking for a Quagliarella figure, who can supplant Hoolahan, or play as a striker,  is he up that that?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I do like Toivonen. He could be the Holt replacement (because Becchio isn''t good enough) and give us the option of a line leader, but can play other roles. [/quote]

I like the idea of Toivonen but will he come here, that is the question?!?

BTW., blue reminds me of the horrible Binners, please be a good chap and use purple instead. Thank you.

*reported interest. player says the move would be a dream. and yet liverpool never made a bid as far as the press are concerned. strange, that one.

and also, a league 2 player can be made to look world class by a good editor free software.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I do like Toivonen. He could be the Holt replacement (because Becchio isn''t good enough) and give us the option of a line leader, but can play other roles. I don''t know but I suspect El Hamdaoui can''t play as a target man. And if we are looking for a Quagliarella figure, who can supplant Hoolahan, or play as a striker,  is he up that that?

[/quote]Is that opinion based on his appearances for Norwich?

An unexpected interest, if it is real, but I have two questions about Mr. El Hamdaoui.

1) Does he have an attitude problem, if he was selected so few times over two years?

2) Where does he come from? Are we going to lose him for the African fortnight in January, and will there be dietary problems in religious fetivals?

3) I can tell that he has a left foot, otherwise he would fall over, but does he ever use it to shoot with?

Seems a bit stop gap to me, i''m sure he has the potential to play an important link up role for us, so i''d welcome him, but i don''t see him as the solution in the same way i do see Quagliarella and Toivonen.

If we can get him for nothing with moderate wages, i see no reason why we shouldn''t add him to our options but i''d rather see a massive name (figeratively) like Quagliarella or a player in form in his mid twenties that has the potential to be a £15m-£20m player like Toivonen.

I don''t feel that El Hamdaoui would be that much better than Wes to be honest, but if we''re struggling to find some competition, we could do a lot worse and we wouldn''t want a repeat of a deadline day panic buy from Spurs reserves (ironically the reason i''ve heard of El Hamdaoui!)

The African Nations is a worry already with Bassong potentially involved (did Cameroon qualify?)

I guess if we got Mounir in, we''d know miles in advance and there would be nothing stopping us getting a loan deal sorted to cover us over ANC (maybe Van Ginkel will be struggling for games by then :-P). I''m pretty sure by then, we''ll have found where Fer is most effective and seen if the likes of Howson, Hoolahan, Johnson and Tettey are still capable of holding their own at this level, enough to cover the ANC departures.

As for the festivals, the latest bout of fasting has just ended for Muslims, so hopefully, providing Mounir is fit enough to be considered a worthy buy, this is as weak as he''ll be and he''ll only get better.

I guess it provides something for the clubs nutrition expert to think about, without trying to sound racist, he has an asian sounding name (CBA looking on twitter, long second name, first name begining with V (?), the players sometimes have banter with him) and will hopefully be familiar with such challenges.

[quote user="Salopian"]

An unexpected interest, if it is real, but I have two questions about Mr. El Hamdaoui.

1) Does he have an attitude problem, if he was selected so few times over two years?

2) Where does he come from? Are we going to lose him for the African fortnight in January, and will there be dietary problems in religious fetivals?

3) I can tell that he has a left foot, otherwise he would fall over, but does he ever use it to shoot with?

[/quote]

That''s three questions [;)]

1) He fell out with Frank de Boer at Ajax, and if stories are true, that really isn''t a hard thing to do. He was a sub behind Jovetic at Florentina last season and now Mario Gomez has arrived he doesn''t see himself getting a lot of games, hence wanting to move. He was at Tottenham when Hughton was there, so he probably knows about his character well.

2) He''s from Holland, but of Morrocan descent - has played 5 times for Morroco but currently not part of the squad. Wouldn''t imagine African Cup of Nations is an issue (the next one is in 2015 anyway). I presume he is a Muslim, but as Ramadan has just finished (happy Eid everyone) there won''t be any issues with that for a while, anyway, many Muslim athletes manage to play football around the world during fasting.

3) I guess he is right footed, but is a very skilful player - can''t comment on his left foot ability.

I would add, he is more a striker than an attacking midfielder/support striker - his best performances came at Ajax while he went up top, supported by Suarez - for that reason ''I''m out''.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Salopian"]

[/quote]

1) He fell out with Frank de Boer at Ajax, and if stories are true, that really isn''t a hard thing to do. He was a sub behind Jovetic at Florentina last season and now Mario Gomez has arrived he doesn''t see himself getting a lot of games, hence wanting to move. He was at Tottenham when Hughton was there, so he probably knows about his character well.

2) He''s from Holland, but of Morrocan descent - has played 5 times for Morroco but currently not part of the squad. Wouldn''t imagine African Cup of Nations is an issue (the next one is in 2015 anyway). I presume he is a Muslim, but as Ramadan has just finished (happy Eid everyone) there won''t be any issues with that for a while, anyway, many Muslim athletes manage to play football around the world during fasting.

3) I guess he is right footed, but is a very skilful player - can''t comment on his left foot ability.

I would add, he is more a striker than an attacking midfielder/support striker - his best performances came at Ajax while he went up top, supported by Suarez - for that reason ''I''m out''.

[/quote]

Damn it! Just remembered they are having one in 2014 as well, while they readjust to the new odd year pattern. Again as Hamdaoui hasn''t featured for the national team for 3 years it is probably safe.

Given that it''s still just a rumour, the only solid link is that CH was assistant manager at Spurs when El Hamdaoui was there, so he must have a good idea of his play.

Since we''ve been linked to him I''ve slated him. Only because of what I can remember of him. I''ve just watched the video though...

If we can get him to discover that kind of form again, we should seriously get this guy in. Excellent finisher.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]The African Nations is a worry already with Bassong potentially involved (did Cameroon qualify?)  [/quote]
There is no African Cup of Nations 2014, the next one is 2015. 
Cameroon didn''t quality for 2013 which is why we didn''t lose him last season (thankfully). 

Raises a good point though, which is that if we''d ended up with Cheikhou Kouyate and Sebastian Bassong as your two centre backs there would have been the potential to lose both to the African cup of nations 2015. 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Salopian"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Damn it! Just remembered they are having one in 2014 as well, while they readjust to the new odd year pattern. Again as Hamdaoui hasn''t featured for the national team for 3 years it is probably safe.

[/quote]

Doesn''t that raise a question, though, Bethnal? Are Morocco so good they can do without someone playing for one of the top sides in Serie A? Quagliarella not having been selected for Italy for three years is perhaps understandable. But this less so.