Sign in to follow this  
Walker9009

Talking to the Enemy

Hello all.

It''s that time again, football is back! Last season our Everton forum and news site (won''t put link up in case it''s against rules) had a weekly feature, read by many, in which we asked the upcoming opposition questions ahead of the match, on themselves and on Everton.

So if some people don''t mind giving some answers, I''d be really grateful.

1. How has your pre-season gone? Results wise and performance wise?

2. Everybody believes you''ve made some good summer signings, including two Everton targets. Have you seen much of them in pre-season and if so, how have they done?

3. Have you made enough signings? Is there anywhere you haven''t yet improved which you feel you needed to?

4. Who will be your key player/s this season?

5. What are your expectations of the season?

6. What are your thoughts on Chris Hughton? Is he the man to take you forward?

Moving on to Everton...

7. The Blues have seen a new manager take the Goodison reigns. What do you make of Roberto Martinez? How do you think he will fare at Everton?

8. If, hypothetically, you could sign any ONE Everton player for free, who would it be and why?

9. Where do you think us Toffee''s will finish this season?

Finally, the match...

10. Who will be your biggest threat to the Everton side on Saturday? (Now Grant Holts gone ;) )

11. From the away side, who do you think will trouble your Canaries side the most?

12. Predictions?

I''ve asked a few more questions than normal, but it''s the start of the season so there''s more to find out!

If I get at least some responses, I will post links to the forum for our reaction to your answers.

Cheers.

A real mixed bag, some draws against tough european opposition, a few loses against American teams who were much fitter than us, no major injuries (other than Hooper but should be ok)

2. Everybody believes you''ve made some good summer signings, including two Everton targets. Have you seen much of them in pre-season and if so, how have they done?

Personally I haven''t seen much of them and not enough to pass comment. The one comment I will make is the style of play in the game I did see was clearly above and beyond last season, a lot more expansive and still looking solid at the back.

3. Have you made enough signings? Is there anywhere you haven''t yet improved which you feel you needed to?

We''ve made 7, although one was already here last season and one is Carlo Nash (ex toffee?) and got rid of around 12, so do the maths, I personally think we still need another 3, Defender, Attacking midfield and centre forward. We''re like a few of the trolls on here, very light up top.

Leroy Fer, Jonny Howson, Ricky Van Wolfswinkel, John Ruddy and Snodgrass, year too early for Redmond I think.

Primarily safety, then progression from last year as we have done for the last four seasons! 9th would be good with a points total of 49/50

Well he has done already with finishing a place higher than last season, made us defensively sound and some big wins (including our win against you lot at home) I''m excited to see what he can do with our attack now. Big season for all at CR.

Moving on to Everton...

7. The Blues have seen a new manager take the Goodison reigns. What do you make of Roberto Martinez? How do you think he will fare at Everton?

Sorry - I think he will struggle and will be gone by Christmas. He will not replicate the success of Dave Moyes, not an Everton man.

8. If, hypothetically, you could sign any ONE Everton player for free, who would it be and why?

Maroune Fellaini, the boy is genius

13th/14th -

Finally, the match...

10. Who will be your biggest threat to the Everton side on Saturday? (Now Grant Holts gone ;) )

Snodgrass and Van Wolfswinkel, I think Johnson has put his name on the teamsheet and your attacking midfielders are in for a tough afternoon.

11. From the away side, who do you think will trouble your Canaries side the most?

Is Kone fit? May start where he left off...

12. Predictions?

Tough...2-2 draw I think goals for city from Johnson and RVW

Results have been mixed - a win and two defeats on the USA tour but undefeated since - draws away at Braga and Brighton and home to Real Sociedad. A win at home to Panathanaikos to round off pre season. Performances have been ''solid'' in typical Hughton style, although there is a feeling we still need more firepower up front and to be a bit more expansive. Overall, despite one or two injury scares, it''s been a good pre season.

Redmond has been the most impressive, looks very bright and full of running, rounded off with MOM performance for England Under 21. A real snip at 3 million. Fer, an Everton target, also looks very sting, a box to box type midfielder, although Hughton has played him in the no 10 (Fellini) role. Luckily for ou, he is supsended Saturday. val Wolfswinkel has looked pretty quiet so far, but gets in some good positions, and Hooper has been bright. Martin Olsson will be consistent and another cheap, reliable signing. Overall, we have bought well and our squad looks strong.

Although we were good defensively last season, we probably need a centre back who can play alongside Bassong, and/or replace him when injured as when he was missing last season it was a problem. We also have 3 strikers who have never scored in the premier league between them; I can''t help thinking we need someone with a bit of pedigree who can play up front or just in behind.

I expect The spine of the team to play its part and I hope they stay fit. Ruddy, Bassong, Fer, Hoolahan and RvW is as good a spine as any team outside the top 6. Also I feel Snodgrass is ready for another big season. I also have a feeling this could be Jonny Howson''s season to step up. He was derided for much of last season by some fickle fans, but came to the fore at the end.

I expect us to finish mid table again, between 9th and 14th. I hope we play more exciting football at times, and can have a decent cup run.

He certainly is. His signings have been excellent and he fulfilled the brief of staying up. Although, finishing 11th was slightly lucky as the last 3 months were pretty scary, he needs to learn when to be more positive and to make subs a little earlier when we are struggling. But overall he s a likeable, honest manager who is slowly making a difference

Moving on to Everton...

To be completely honest, I think he is the most overrated manager in the premier league from the past few years. Wigan finished mid table under both Jewell and Bruce and Martinez took them down without learning that his defence was always the problem. That said, I think Everton may suit him as a club, and he will keep you in the op half. Moyes is a hard act to follow. I hope he doesn''t keep the policy of signing Wigan players!

Maybe an unusual answer, but I would go for Steven Pienaar. I have always loved his tenacity and the way he attacks down the left and through the middle.

I think you will finish 8th.

Finally, the match...

I think Snodgrass coming off the wing and RvW will probably cause the biggest threat. I believe Redmond and hooper will be in the bench and will be a threat if brought on.

Fellaini if he plays. He is am exceptional player and I hope for your sake you hold on to him. Also Kone caused us problems last season, and Osman always seems to score against us!

12. Predictions?

I will go for a 1-1 draw, with Snodgrass scoring for City and Fellaini equalising for Everton,.

Good luck for the rest of the season, and good questions!

[quote] 1. How has your pre-season gone? Results wise and performance wise? [/quote]
Pretty well, the USA tour was very tough as they were well into their own season and the difference in fitness levels apparent, but we have followed that up with draws against two top teams - Braga and Real Sociedad - and then a win against Panathinaikos. Created lots of chances which is nice to see as we struggled with that last season, but pre-season results seldom mean anything. 
[quote]  2. Everybody believes you''ve made some good summer signings, including two Everton targets. Have you seen much of them in pre-season and if so, how have they done? [/quote]
Redmond looks like the pick of the bunch, or certainly the most ready, I''d be a little scared of him if I were you. I think Van Wolfswinkel is going to need some time to find his feet in this league, Hooper has been the most effective of the two strikers so far, is a doubt for the Everton game though (unfortunately for us, fortunately for you). 
[quote] 3. Have you made enough signings? Is there anywhere you haven''t yet improved which you feel you needed to? [/quote]
We could do with a second striker / attacking centre midfielder to compete with Hoolahan who we rely on a little too much, we have been linked with some excellent players in that spot. Could probably cope without one of those if needs must. More important in my opinion is another centre back, we don''t have much depth there. Have been linked with a few, I''d quite like Michael Mancienne. 
[quote] 4. Who will be your key player/s this season? [/quote]
John Ruddy. Probably odd to pick a goalkeeper, especially with so many exciting new signings, but the whole team seems to play with less nervousness with him between the sticks and I think he will be worth a lot of points to us again this season. 
[quote] 5. What are your expectations of the season? [/quote]
Top half, 8th or 9th would be nice, I''d take 10th. Be nice to have a cup run though, a cup final represents our best chance of getting into Europe. Would take 15th if we got a trip to Wembley at the end of the season.
[quote] 6. What are your thoughts on Chris Hughton? Is he the man to take you forward? [/quote]
Was criticised last season for being negative / defensive but I think that has more to do with the limitations of the squad at his disposal than his philosophies as a manager, I think he has the potential and willingness to build an excellent attacking team here, you don''t sign players like Nathan Redmond if you intend to stick ten men behind the ball for 90 minutes. So yes, I think he remains the right man for the job with a clear vision of what it is that he wants to achieve here. I''m over Lambert, put it that way.
[quote] 7. The Blues have seen a new manager take the Goodison reigns. What do you make of Roberto Martinez?  How do you think he will fare at Everton? [/quote]
I think he is a good appointment but only if you are prepared to give him time. His style of football is different to the one that you are used to, he will need to mould a Moyes squad into a Martinez squad but I think it could work out well for you as long as you don''t expect instant results. Can see no reason why Everton can''t continue to challenge for top 6/7 finishes but don''t expect you to get there this season. If you lose Baines and Fellaini then the man is going to need a years grace and allowed to get away with a mid-table finish. Just like Moyes is going to need time at Man Utd.
[quote] 8. If, hypothetically, you could sign any ONE Everton player for free, who would it be and why?[/quote]
If I ignore Fellaini and Baines, as that would be unrealistic, then probably Steven Pienaar as he would slot nicely into that Hoolahan role behind the strikers. Plus I once met a South African man in a Norfolk boozer who told me that a 15 year old Steven Pienaar would become one of the best players in the world. I laughed it off, but remembered it. He isn''t one of the best players in the world, but it was a good call.
[quote] 9. Where do you think us Toffee''s will finish this season? [/quote]
I can''t see you finishing as high as 6th or 7th this season, but top half, perhaps 8th or 9th, with things improving for you after that. On the positive side for Everton fans, Martinez is an FA Cup winning manager and Moyes is not. 
[quote] 10. Who will be your biggest threat to the Everton side on Saturday? (Now Grant Holts gone ;) ) [/quote]
If he starts then I shall have to go for Redmond, expect him to be running at your right back from the first minute until the last. Snodgrass on his day can really turn it on but I suspect he will be busy tracking back and doubling up on Baines.
[quote] 11. From the away side, who do you think will trouble your Canaries side the most?

12. Predictions?[/quote]
I don''t like the idea of Leighton Baines against our right backs. Last time around Snodgrass did a great job of tracking back and nuetralising him. Pienaar on his day is a tricky customer too, unpredictable and I hope we can keep him quiet. Both teams have some dangerous players who can cause serious damage on their day, and with the first game of the season being so unpredictable it wouldn''t surprise me if we were in line for a real cracker with plenty of goals.

Slow but steady progress, Match fitness being the priority. Results, not great if i''m honest, performances quite bland on the main but with more improvement in the final couple of matches.

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel still needs time, and the players around him still need time to gel with his movement, Redmond is going to be outstanding and will be our best investment, Gary Hooper is a ready made goal scorer, Much goodness to come from Fer too. We''ve made some great signings but with the injury scare to Hooper pre-season we''re a squad player short up front.

I think we''re good to go already, injuries to either Van Wolfswinkel or Hooper up front would be of great concern, but we''ve not really seen Becchio have a run in the team yet so maybe not a necessity. Where we''ve not improved, we''ve certainly strengthened cover in those positions.

So many: Ruddy, Bassong, Redmond, Snodgrass, Hoolahan - We need to be supplying our forward(s) hence the midfield bias.

Expectations, i expect us to play very similar to last season, balanced, somewhat unexciting at times, and not willing to go for the kill. Mid to Low table finish i expect.

Nice guy, Clean sheets are his priority, he has already taken us forward with survival, great in the transfer window, can assemble a top squad on a budget, but lacks the killer instinct and excitement that we had under Lambert - Fans are still split on his philosophies but all have the utmost of respect for what he''s doing here.

Moving on to Everton...

Another ''nice guy'' in the football world, i''m quite neutral to him in all honesty, feel that he''s over-rated and Everton could''ve got a better man in. Wish him well though.

Oh, Fellaini or Baines... Probably Fellaini as he can win you games, and is highly motivational for the crowd and team. But, i was also really hoping that we would have gone in for Kone - I think he looked great last year and could be a surprise hit for the Goodison crowd.

8-12th - You''ll be strongest mid season, with poor start and finish.

Finally, the match...

Snodgrass without a doubt, will be much action down that side. Van Wolfswinkel may come to life in a competitive match. But honestly feel that Hooper would start if not injured, while he''s a definite goal threat i think it''s Snoddy that will create the openings.

If Kone plays, he will definitely score against us. Baines will be thorn in our side too. And let''s not mention Fellaini, if he''s on form there will be a few bruises in the home changing room.

12. Predictions?

1-1 - Kone and Hooper.

In short, not brilliantly. We embarked on a 3 match USA tour and started with a 3-0 win over a second division Mexican side. Two 0-1 losses followed against a couple of the better MLS teams in the Western Conference. More recent results have included 1-1 against Brighton, 2-2 vs Braga (in Portugal), 1-1 vs Sociedad and a 2-0 win over Panathinaikos on Saturday. Performances have been solid enough with the usual pre-season problems of multiple substitutions spoiling games. It was lovely to finish with a win this time around as last season ended with a 0-2 loss at the hands of Monchengladbach which was then of course followed by an opening day mauling at the hands of Fulham, so here’s hoping!

I presume you mainly refer to Leroy Fer on this one. From what I have witnessed so far he looks like an awesome player and I am delighted we managed to get him for so little considering the fee agreed in January. He appears to possess a complete game – can play equally well in attack and defensive mode, he potentially could be the best midfielder we have had in the past 20 years or so. I has assumed he would score the winner on Saturday however we have recently learned he is suspended as a result of a ban being carried over from the Eredivisie – lucky you!

A lot of noise has been made about RvW and I can understand why, he appears to be very much a typically classy Dutch Centre Forward. I am slightly concerned however as his only pre season goal has come from a deflected Fer header. I am hoping he is saving himself for the start of the season proper...

Hooper has looked fairly impressive so far in his limited outings with a very well taken goal against Braga. He seems like the kind of player who knows where the goal is given the opportunity which is always nice. Unfortunately he took a clattering against Panathinaikos and was stretchered off with what was thankfully only heavy bruising. We are not sure what state we will be in come the weekend.

Martin Olssen has only had a couple of proper run outs so far with his pace and willingness to get forward impressing me a lot. He certainly increases our options at full back and on the flank.

The real excitement so far had been provided by Nathan Redmond. He has electric pace and ball control as tidy as I any of the top Premier League players. At 19 he is somewhat raw and will need guidance from Hughton, however I am confident that given time he will be pushing his way into the senior England team. Much of my confidence stems from the fact that he is not a total moron in the style of Sterling and Lennon. If he is coming off the bench on Saturday with 20 minutes to go then be afraid!

Carlo Nash.

We definitely haven’t finished our business with several names refusing to go away. As we only have 3 senior strikers on the books at the moment I expect to see another attacking player arriving. Also, when either Bassong or Turner where absent last year our goal suffered greatly so another top Centre Back should be arriving soon enough. I have stopped reading rumours now as all I have to do is sit back and relax safe in the knowledge McNally (our Chief Exec, or the real reason behind our turnaround in recent years) is on the case and he always gets what he wants.

The obvious players are RvW and Hooper. We lacked goals horribly at times last year and their jobs are clear. If they perform and our defence matches last year then we are in for a satisfying season. Add to this Leroy Fer who as mentioned before could be an amazing player. Also, having John Ruddy fit for the whole season will be like having a new season. The man is immense, his presence clearly fills the whole stadium with massive confidence. Nearly all of our big results involved the big man.

More goals! Less draws! More wins! Hopefully we have strengthened enough to avoid any drama and maybe, just maybe push towards the top half. I however get nervous by our new found confidence! I am sure all will be fine once we get off to a good start on Saturday. A good start is of big importance this year as we have a pretty horrific run in and numbers on the board early will be very useful inavoiding unnescceasry drama. This means beating more of the lower half than last year instead of relying on wins against the top 7.

The man is a real class act and I have a lot of respect for him. He is the opposite of your melted face w*nkers such as Redknapp and Warnock. Last year was very much about making do with him focussing on sorting the defence. He did this admirably well for most of the time. Step two is now to address the goalscoring. I just hope for all our sakes that the more moronic section of our fans who still pine for Lamberts quite frankly balmy tactics keep their mouths shut when things aren’t going so well.

Moving on to Everton...

This is a real tough one for me. Its hard to tell based solely on his Wigan time as they had so many crap results yet managed to gain so much credit. Following a Glaswegian is never easy and much as we have witnessed it will probably take a little time and be a learning process for players and fans alike. Evertonians from my experience are some of the most sensible out there so I am confident he will be given time if needed to get the team playing his way, whatever that may be. If he can carry on from Moyes his main aim should be to teach the players to perform for 90+ minutes! In both matches last season against us Everton looked amazing for about 40-50 minutes. They then simply seemed to let us get into our rhythm and fall asleep at match defining moments. It must have been galling to be an Evertonian at the end of both our matches.

This is a tough one for me as I consider Everton to be a very solid team who don’t rely on one player. However it is hard to not want Baines in your team.

Again really hard to predict! Somewhere between 9th and 6th probably provided Martinez gets going early and you retain the some key players. It will be interesting to see how Lollerpool perform this year as many suspect them to push on this season. I suspect it will be close between the Blues and Reds again.

Finally, the match...

If RvW lives up to hype then given chances he will punish you. As mentioned before Redmond can really scare you, however I suspect he may only appear for part of the 90 minutes. Snodgrass then is our real key player. He is great on the ball and gets past defenders many times in a game. Not the fastest, his commitment really is key as he is pretty much non-stop throughout matches. Crucially though his dead ball delivery is lethal! Our main threat may well come in the form of free kicks and corners so you’d better not fall asleep like last season.

Baines and Pienaar have caused us a lot of problems recently and I expect the same to happen on Saturday. Beyond that no more individuals particularly concern me, however if your team is clicking then we may struggle to see the ball for periods. I do wander if Fellaini will be up to his usual tricks as he always seems to be particularly riled when playing us, whether it be because of Holt or Johnson.

12. Predictions?

I was delighted when the fixtures were announced and Everton at home came up first. We have the better record since our return to the top with 3 draws and a win. I feel we perform better against better teams and see Everton ideal opponents to get going against. I was dreading a promoted side as a poor result against the likes of Palace can put a real dampener on the start and one of the top 4-5 can humiliate us if we are not at the races. As I like to remain as positive as possible a nice 3-1 win will do nicely. Something like a tight 60 minutes with a goal apiece by half-time followed by a second half where some killer subs make the difference for us.

1. Indifferent to be perfectly honest. Beat one team on our tour in America, but lost twice, then we drew at Brighton, drew at Braga, drew with Real Sociedad and beat Panathanaikos. I only went to the game against the Greeks, and we played well, but from reports I''ve read, in previous games we were quite poor in spells of matches, and dominant in others, so a mixed pre season TBH!!2. We have made 7 signings, most notably in RVW, Fer and Redmond. As I said above I only went to one friendly, so would be unfair to say how they performed pre season, but I have heard some very promising things about Fer and Redmond in particular3. Not quite. I feel we need another second striker/CAM  (Ola Toivonen looked a dead cert for this position at this point, but Fabio Quagliarella is another strong possibility) and a CB possibly (we were strongly linked with Toby Alderweireld but that looks very unlikely now) but I don''t think we have seen all of our business yet. Watch this space...!! 4. The core of our team (Ruddy, Bassong/Turner, Fer/Johnson/Howson, RVW and Hooper looks very strong, with Snoddy and Redmond on the flanks, we are a very strong side imo, so I can''t pick out individual players haha!5. Safety still has to be first priority, but I feel we have a good enough squad  to challenge for top half of table and a decent cup run, baring no major injuries6. Will tell you in a few weeks. Last year was very defensive and negative, but it got us 11th place. We only play one forward which frustrates a few fans, so hopefully it''s a little more exciting, attacking football this year!

7. Undecided. He kept Wigan in the League and won the cup, but I''m not sure if he really suceeded though! Wigan are a small club and were punching well above their weight for years, but for any side, if you are in a league that long, you should see some improvement, which Wigan never really did. Not too sure what he will bring to the Toffee''s. 8. Jagielka. He''s not your best player, but has good experience which would help the young defenders here (Bennett, Ayala etc) and would be brilliant competition to Bassong, Turner and Bennett9. Anywhere between 6th-14th! Reall can''t tell with your new gaffer, will be interesting to see how it all goes10. RVW, Hooper and the wingers all have the capability to cause havoc, Howson on his day is unstoppable (check out his goal at Man City last year!). We have a lot of ''''threatening'''' players on paper!11. Baines down the left, with Kone and Jelavic being a handful up top

12. No honeymoon period for Martinez! 3-1 to City. Our goals from Johnson , Redmond and RVW! Yours from Baines (free kick)

Thanks for replies so far, very good.

Redmond was also a target of ours I believe. Our forum members will be annoyed after reading your positive comments on him.

As people have said, a mixed bag, but steady improvement throughout and no big injuries sustained.

By Everton targets, you mean Fer and Redmond i take it? Fer was outstanding vs Sociedad and looks like he''ll be colossal for us (luckily for you he''ll be suspended 1st game). Redmond has been standout performer with great pace, tricks and an end product, as demonstrated with a MOTM performance vs Scotland U21s

The 7 include 1 who was already here and a 39 year old back up keeper. I''d suggest we''re still 2 signings short, a centre back or right back and a no.10 to give Hoolahan something to think about. We''ve got enough to put out against you lot though, just as the season goes on, fitness, injuries and form take their toll and we''ll need options.

Bassong and Ruddy being there transforms the defence, so again i''d say them. Hopefully the likes of Redmond, Fer, Hooper and RVW can make us more threatening, particularly Redmond as i hope we convert our defensive game to a counter attacking one away from home.

A much prettier version of last season. No one can argue with 11th but the football at times was boring. Perhaps a trip to Wembley would be a nice bonus.

I''m a big fan. As it is with every manager, he''s only 1 bad run away from the sack, but i''m confident that with the new options, we''ll have far more about us as he was limited to the cautious approach last year due to a lack of attacking options. Some of his buys have been real bargains! I''d say Bassong for £3m last summer was only beaten by Michu in bargain buy of the season, he''s the best centre back outside the top 7 imo.

Moving on to Everton...

Seems to have kept the team he inherited. Whether or not he can impose his own style of football remains to be seen, but I reckon he''ll start off okay.

Would probably be Fellaini, but if i''m going to be original, i''d like Mirallas. He''d be ideal foil for RVW

8th

Finally, the match...

RVW or Redmond

Pienaar down the left has potential to damage us.

12. Predictions?

2-1 us, Becchio will come on and grab the winner after an open but scrappy game, Johnson and Osman with the other goals.

[quote user="Walker9009"]Thanks for replies so far, very good.

Redmond was also a target of ours I believe. Our forum members will be annoyed after reading your positive comments on him.[/quote]

Don''t like to rub it in but I think both Fer and Redmond will have exceptional seasons (if they stay injury free)... You have definitely missed out there, both super talented players.

It was alright. Standard pre season really. Couple of draws, couple of wins, no real long-term injury concerns.

Seen enough from both to believe they will both be big players for us. Redmond is exciting, and Fer is a beast in midfield.

Would like to see another attacking mid/second striker. Possibly a centre back too.

Hooper, van Wolfswinkel, Snodgrass, Bassong and Ruddy.

Mid-table again. But towards the high end. Between 12th and 8th. We seem to be doing one place better each year, so I''ll say 10th.

Yes. He is. He had a job to do last season in keeping us up. MIssion accomplished. This is his season to build on that with his new signings. 

Moving on to Everton... 

I think he is overrated. (sorry). As a person I like him. He seems genuine. But I don''t understand how he can be that close to relegation every season and still regarded as a top manager. If I were an Everton fan, his signings would worry me. Is it 4 Ex-Wigan players now?

Baines. Great player down the left. Great going forward as well as defending.

Despite my doubts about his signings, Kone does score goals and Robles is a good keeper. You should be looking to finish above Liverpool, but I don''t think you''ll quite do it. 9th.

Finally, the match... 

Redmond and Snodgrass.

Kone.

12. Predictions? 

We have done well against Everton since our return to the Premier League. 2-2, or a 3-2 win to us.

1. Pretty mixed really, but nothing to particularly worry nor write home about. I think most of us know not to look into pre-season too much, while at the same time not being able to help it. It''s the nature of being a fan, you always want to win.

2. Redmond has looked very lively, Hooper has looked sharp in the games I''ve seen too. Let''s hope he shakes his knock off quickly. I think we have bought quality in RvW and Fer, but I haven''t seen enough of either of them yet to make a proper judgement.

3. Another CB, and probably another striker/no 10.

4. Ruddy for me. I feel that Bunn did a decent job deputising last year, but I think Ruddy is real quality and a presence in the team. I''m hoping Fer will have a big impact too, but time will tell.

5. I''d expect to finish around the same position as last year, but hopefully make an easier job of it. We hovered too close to relegation last year, I''d be more than happy for a solid mid-table all season, with a decent cup run.

6. I think the first few games of this season will give us the answer to that, but I''d like to think so. I feel like we have a good, well respected young manager on our hands. Last year was frustrating though. We played quite defensively and didn''t seem to have a plan B. I think we''ll kick on a bit this year and build on the solid defensive platform he has built. If that''s the case, then he can be the man to take us forwards.

7.I like Martinez, but I worry for Everton. I''d love him to do well there, but any manager replacing a long term boss usually struggles. At the very least I think it will take him a bit of time to find his feet. If you give him time, I think he''ll come good for you, but can''t really see him exceeding what Moyes did for you.

8.Fellaini. He''s a beast.

9. I think you''ll finish about 9th. A poor start followed by a late rally.

11. As above. Fellaini. Although if he marks at corners like he marked Kei Kamara last year, maybe not...

12. 1-1

Looking forwards to reading your write up. Good luck for the season, but not on Saturday.

To be expected with the new signings. pre season has gone well, we have stayed fairly injury free (Hooper apart) and I think are ready to go. certainly more so than 12 months ago.

Fer will do well for us, seems fast and strong, although not seen any hint of a goal threat i think he will chip in with a fair few too

We need another Striker - competition for places will ensure everyone gives their absolute best!

Ruddy, Bassong, Hooper, Van Wolfswinkel

top 10. anything less will be unacceptable! the pundits dont like us, the bookies dont rate us, and we prove them all wrong time and time again. we have spent nearly 30 million this summer and have to show we are a force to be taken seriously.

6. What are your thoughts on Chris Hughton? Is he the man to take you forward? My opinion, a fantastic manager who will take us forwards over time.

Very well respected and the fact we have signed the players we have and are still linked with top quality is a testimony to this.

give it a couple of years and we''ll win a cup. I''m old enough to remember the Nights in Europe 20 years ago. we could see this again!

Moving on to Everton...

I have to say i really dont rate him, I think he showed at Wigan just how poor a manager he really is, they rode the crest of the wave with the cup run but luck ran out.

Kenwright wont be as patient (or forgiving!) as Whelan, I can see it going wrong quickly.

Baines.. obvious why!

Relegation or skin of the teeth last day pant wetting survival!

Finally, the match...

10. Who will be your biggest threat to the Everton side on Saturday? (Now Grant Holts gone ;) ) Redmond

11. From the away side, who do you think will trouble your Canaries side the most? Baines

12. Predictions?

2-1 Norwich

Results are not important in pre-season, performances are. Week by week the players have looked stronger and fitter but until 3pm Saturday no one can know for sure.

Fer looks a steal. Always seems to have time on the ball to pick his pass or find space. Same with RVW really classy looking player. We''ve always been an industrious hardworking team now we have quality to add to that.

Yes I''m happy with the squad to start the season, we have two weeks after to improve if need be.

Fer - Ruddy - Bassong

To still be in the premier in 38 games time.

Very capable, calm, strong character. Perfect fit for the club as our CEO is a pitbull .

Not impressed with your signings apart from Deulofeu. Seems Martinez has raided Wigan''s considered lesser talents. Kone and Alcarez don''t seem top 7 players to me.

Baines - that left foot is to die for! You cant put a price on perfect delivery

Top 10

Finally, the match...

Nathan Redmond will catch a few of your defenders out.

Fellani if he turns up

12. Predictions?

Draw

Ok folks, I''ve just uploaded it.

I usually format it a little better than this, but I''m knackered from work/pub this evening.

Here is the main site version: http://myevertonnews.com/talking-to-the-opposition-norwich-fans/

Our forum: http://www.theevertonforum.co.uk/everton-forum/7847-talking-opposition-norwich-fans.html

^^ that second link should contain the write up at some point tomorrow, I''m knackered and off to bed and straight in work at 6 tomorrow so can''t get it on the forum. I''ve asked other mods/admin to do it for me though. When it''s hopefully uploaded by said Admin/Mod, you''ll get some reaction.

Hope that makes sense hahaha