Sign in to follow this  
Gaz06

Bassong out of Everton game

Confirms on SSN that he is "not ready yet" and needs a few more games in the Under 21s. Think''s he should be fit for Hull.

Theres no way CH will stick Russ at CB when we have fully fit Ryan Bennett. He didn''t last season and he won''t start now. Ryan Bennett is a better CB that Russ - fact.

Russ, bennett, turner, Olsson for me.

The only saving grace could be that Bennett massively improved towards the end of last season, so maybe him and Turner could have too?

I know some will think this might be crazy be i would play this ruddy with Olsson on the left, Whittaker on the right. martin, turner & bennett. in the middle 3 . . johnson & snodgrass & howson .. with wes just off the wolf so it would be a 5-3 -1-1 otbc

Nicko,

So Ryan Bennett is better at CB than Russ Martin - fact.

Can you let me know where you get your facts from to prove this statement, or as I suspect, is this simply your opinion.  Of course you have every right to have an opinion, as do I, and every other poster on this site.

As I have said many times before, your opinion proves you right, well it does to you, just as mine does to me.  As human beings our brains are hard wired to prove us right, so if we believe something then we will see things to justify our beliefs.  To prove the point, how often have you been in a situation where you can''t find something and then someone else comes along and says look there it is, and when you take a second look you see whatever it was you were looking for hiding on top of everything else!!  It''s your brain proving you right, you believed it wouldn''t be there, so your brain dismisses what it sees to prove you right.

How many people do you know who have said something like, "I''m crap at remembering names", well guess what, their brains prove them right and they are crap at remembering names.  Their brain essentially says, heh, I''ll have to dump this new information or I will remember this person''s name and that goes against my beliefs

So if you believe one player is better than another then you will see all the good things he does and all the ''bad'' things the other one does, thus justifying your belief.

Now, in my opinion Russ Martin is a very good player, so I will see the things to prove me right but this doesn''t make it fact, it simply makes it fact to me, or in other words my opinion proving me right, to me, (yet again!!)

I suspect Russ Martin will start at CB on Saturday, alongside Michael Turner, however as I don''t control the world only the way I think about it, I may be wrong, but this is unlikely to alter my opinion that he and Seb Bassong are the best CB pairing we have.  I''ll probably justify it by saying something along the lines, well he''s too important at RB, or the gaffer has missed a trick there.

The human brain, sometimes you can''t live with it, but you certainly can''t live without it!!

Shame Bassong''s not ready, we need him. Plus he''s got a great record against Everton.

Martin will probably fill in. Will be a tough start to the season though.

[quote user="Eadie4England"]turner and bennett together. i give you fulham opening day last season. bennett looks good wen wiv bass[/quote]

Massively unfair to suggest that that will be the outcome everytime they play together. There were many factors that contributed to that result, and both players improved hugely as the season went on. I''d have no issue with seeing those 2 start on Saturday.

Ray, Bennett is a natural centre half and is much improved on the start of last season. Martin is a right back primarily and then a centre half. Leave him to play there and put Bennett in the middle, we need his aerial ability. (Martin is taller apparently!).

Ray, you appear to have solved an issue that psychology, neuroscience and philosophy have been striving to capture for decades. Or is that just an opinion ;-)

I agree, Turner and Martin to start please Mr H!

Cor doesn''t bode well. As far as I can recall we''ve lost every league game under Hughton where Bassong hasn''t played except Man City on the final day, coupled with our dismal opening day record I''m not optimistic.

I think the main reason R Bennett was picked ahead of Russ Martin for CB was due to needing Russ at RB to cover for the injury proned Whittaker, who''s season never really got going properly.

If Whittaker is now fit, that should release Russ to CB.  After a good performance against England, Russ has more than proved his capability in that role at a high level. 

Russ and Turner for me, with Whitts and Olsson full backs, fitness providing at least. 

[quote user="Manchester Canary"]Confirms on SSN that he is "not ready yet" and needs a few more games in the Under 21s. Think''s he should be fit for Hull.[/quote]Something here doesn''t quite stack up.If he''s "not ready" for Everton on the 17th but he "should be fit for Hull" on the 24th where will "a few more games in the Under 21''s" come from when they only play one on Monday 19th?

Hi Flecky''s Flip Flop & Jimmy Smith,

Flecky, you are right, it is only your opinion, but I thank you for it and appreciate it.

Jimmy, your opinion about Russ being primarily a RB is not shared by the man himself, now that I know is a fact, but of course it is still only his opinion, doesn''t mean we will all agree, as obviously you don''t.

Bring on 3.00pm Saturday, because in our opinion it''s a beautiful game, but does everyone agree - no, doesn''t make either of us right or wrong, factually!!

Don''t you just love this stuff??

The way our defence sets up is with one quick Center back and one slower, taller Center back. This enables us to win the ball if anyone gets in behind due to bassong a pace whereas turner wins most things in the air. That''s why I can see us playing with Martin and Turner at Center back with Martin acting as the quicker defender.

On the video, when Seb was asked the question, did no one think he gave a bit of a wry smile? I wondered if it was the start of a bit of kidology before the game.

Could he be ready to play?

Is he worth risking if it''s not quite ready?

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Isn''t Fer on a one match ban. Oh and defo Martin at CB for me[/quote]
Yes Fer is banned for this game.
The other reason Hughton is likely to go with Russ is to have at least one of his "captains" on the pitch.

[quote user="Nicko"]Theres no way CH will stick Russ at CB when we have fully fit Ryan Bennett. He didn''t last season and he won''t start now. Ryan Bennett is a better CB that Russ - fact. Russ, bennett, turner, Olsson for me.[/quote]

You, I and everyone else know it is not fact. It is your opinion.

We also have Ayala & Gafailti at CB.

What this thread shows is that with only one injury or suspension at CB (especially to Bassong) we are short of a quality replacement.  With a couple of injuries at CB you would expect to have to dip into the likes of Bennett or playing Martin at CB, but with only one out, there really should be someone of better quality available.

Signing another quality CB would also open up the possibility for Hughton to try 3 CB''s in a game, if he so wished.

I still think we are short of 3 players and in the following order of importance -

1 - striker

2- central defender

3 - attacking midfielder