Sign in to follow this  
Blurboy1980

Norwich manager weighs up bid for Fiorentina misfit El Hamdaoui

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2390651/Norwich-City-manager-Chris-Hughton-weighs-bid-Fiorentina-striker-Mounir-El-Hamdaoui.html

Norwich City are keen to further strengthen their forward line by bringing in Fiorentina''s Mounir El Hamdaoui.

Despite only joining the Serie A side a year ago, the Morocco international, 29, has found first team opportunities limited.

Canaries Manager Chris Hughton is keen to recruit another striker after making offers for Ola Toivonen of PSV Eindhoven and Fabio Quagliarella of Juventus.

He did receive a boost on Monday, however, when Gary Hooper, a £5million signing from Celtic, was cleared of serious injury after being stretchered off during the club''s final pre-season friendly against Panathinaikos.

El Hamdaoui was signed by Martin Jol while manager of Tottenham in 2005, but spent his first season on loan at Derby County before injuries cut short his chances in English football.

He returned to Holland, the country of his birth, and excelled at AZ Alkmaar, where he netted 52 goals in 92 appearances over the course of three seasons.

Injury scare: New Norwich signing Gary Hooper is not seriously injured despite being stretchered off against Panathinaikos on Saturday

Injury scare: New Norwich signing Gary Hooper is not seriously injured despite being stretchered off against Panathinaikos on Saturday

This goalscoring form was sufficient to persuade Jol, now Ajax manager, to recruit him again in July 2010.

But 19 goals in 38 matches wasn''t enough to hold down a permanent first team place and he was allowed to leave for Fiorentina in 2012.

He had a bust-up with the manager, leading to his being dropped for a year before being shipped out.

Though I suppose you can''t expect much from an article that seems to think Martin Jol is managing Ajax as well as Fulham.

Good ol'' Daily Mail

I like the sound of this guy. He''s a great finisher. Wasn''t convinced when I first heard of this rumour but I''m sold. Get this guy in! Should be cheap as well!

We''ve got enough ''finishers'' we need the type of player that while they can score, they are primarily pulling the strings like David Silva etc.

We''ve got Hooper for link up play. We need another out and out striker. This is the guy, if CH can get the best from him again.

He was doing immense in Holland! What on earth can go wrong to be dropped for a whole year! It seems to have affected him, as he wasn''t great last year for Fiorentina. If he''s coming for a small fee, then maybe he''s worth a look, but i hope we''re not investing a lot on him.

If we can get him for cheap I think that is a great player to have as purely backup to Hoops. We will have some great scoring pedigree and at only 29 should still have plenty in the tank.

absolute nonsensewe have one place left in the squad as it stands and yet still we get these endless bleats about signing players because their present club doesn''t want them...................... as they ''maybe worth a shout'','' as back up'', ''might do a job'' etcat the moment the club will be focused on getting in a good centre back, someone with potential and who will fit in with the club''s ethosthat''s what counts - not that they are unwanted elsewherethere is usually a good reason for that

Bassong was ''not wanted'' at Tottenham, I suppose we''d better get rid now...

Also, i''d imagine if a centre back comes in, that will mean Ayala gets at least loaned out.

Looks like he''s good mates with Suarez from his Ajax days. Maybe he''d tempt Suarez down to Anglia too, away from the media :-P

[quote user="Nicko"]We''ve got Hooper for link up play. We need another out and out striker. This is the guy, if CH can get the best from him again.[/quote]

why would hooper be used in the CAM role when he''s a natural finisher, i''m sure he can play there, but surely up front would be his best position imo.

Just wondering...

Why is it essential we get a CB again? I think we still need another striker or attacking midfielder more than we need anything else!

CB we have Turner, Bassong, Bennett - all excellent CB''s. Martin, Whittaker who can double up as CB and Ayala who looks like he could be staying as backup for the season. Don''t get it.

Another attacking playing is essential I think. Far more appropriate.

I suppose the ideal is to have 8 proven defenders (2 LB, 2RB + 4CB) and as most people don''t rate Ayala as proven we only have 7.

Yes, Martin or Whittaker can play CB (not that we''ve seen the latter in that position) but that leaves us with only one RB - although E. Bennett has deputised there.

If you believe that CH will play 4-5-1 then we don''t actually need more strikers (3 for 1 spot) and with Hoolahan, Butterfield and Howson (even Redmond and Fer if necessary) we don''t actually need any more attacking midfielders.

In short, our squad is pretty strong but an extra face at the back would give us ultimate cover and an upgrade for Becchio/Butterfield would be a nice addition..

We''ve hardly got one place left, soon as we get players in the dead wood will be excluded from the 25. If we get 3 more in Ayala and Fox will be gone.