Sign in to follow this  
Sly Dog

Transfers interactive from Guardian - 5th biggest spenders.

Well I found this interesting...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/interactive/2013/aug/16/premier-league-transfer-window-interactive

I wonder what the Sevilla fans think of the £66m earned and nothing spent for the transfer window....

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]If this message board was an Arsenal one it would be in meltdown right now

Can''t believe they haven''t splashed the cash
[/quote]

It''s like Man U and to an extent Chelsea - Arsenal will spend the cash, but only on player who can improve the starting 11, those players are pretty hard to sign.

I expect Arsenal to make at least one signing of over £30m but the end of the window, possibly even two - Wenger seemed very confident of that in this morning''s press conference.

The Norwich figure is largely inflated with the RvW signing - which came out of last years budget.

There was an article in the Sunday Times a few weeks back pointing out that of the biggest 10 transfers in Europe to that point, only the bottom 2 had been into the Premier League (both purchases by Man City).

I do expect the other big clubs in the PL to make some signings but they''ve definitely been beaten to some of the big names so far by the big teams elsewhere in Europe.  And the closer they get to the end of the window, they risk paying more than they want to for players from teams that don''t need to sell.

Also I take the point that RVW came from last year''s budget but the fact is, he''s part of our summer spending.  On that basis, Arsenal''s transfer pot has been accumulated over transfer windows for as long as I can remember !

As for Suarez/Rooney etc, do people think there''s a "merry go round" that needs one deal to go through before it starts, and if so who else would be involved ?

Last time i looked teams don''t get any points for transfers.