Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Holt getting nasty towards Hughton!

I am extremely happy, so no not the tiniest possibility that I am never happy.

Good for you winky.. if supporters can''t be happy with our 6th best season then god knows how they coped in the 6 worst ones!! [;)]

Managers should manage and players play. Will all due respect to Holt, it''s not his job to decide the style his team plays. The style may not suit him but it probably doesn''t suit half the players on the team. Let the manager do strategy, the keeper make saves and the striker score the goals. Team comes first.

That''s exactly what he did Boomer, he put the team first, but I certainly don''t think that Hughton''s approach got the best out of him, or several others. Especially post Christmas.

Who knows, had we played to his strengths and he''d netted another (not inconceivable) 5 or so goals it could well of been him making his England debut Wednesday night instead of Lambert. I suspect Holt may feel similarly.

Nieve statement of the day Boomer. The people dynamics on the training ground, in the changing room, leaders, followers, inspirational characters, respect, all these ingredients and many many more come together for team performance. The important point here is that Holty was a large personality and a key player on and off the field, his relationship with the manager would have been a very important one.

Yes but if the manager keeps using a system that doesn''t fit his players and the team then adds more of those kinds of players, like we did this summer, the strategy will frustrate fans and players alike and eventually fail.

If we''re gonna be a defrnse minded team, we shouldn''t be wasting big money on players who won''t be a big part of that strategy.

Based on the last few preseason games, it does look like we are going to play a more balanced style this year.

Absolutely agree Houston, having been to the last 2 pre season games and seen the way we played I am really excited about this season and I do expect us to play with a more adventurous / balanced style.

We simply didnt (and probably still dont) have the players to play fast, flowing attractive football at this level.However, we are improving establishing ourselves and getting better players that allow us to play better football.What would you prefer Holloway style football and releagtion or a cautious11th place finish?Whilst I love Grant Holt to bits, we had our most sucsessful season for a 20 years last season and he was part of that, I think he is been a tad selfish, child like and ungratful wanting to move becuase ''hes not enjoying his football''.

I''m amazed at how many people let those last 2 results cloud their memory of just how crap we were for over half a season. 2 wins in 20. TWO. Just let that sink in for a minute.

We were fortunate enough to play West Brom and Man City when we did. Both teams were already on the beach and City had just sacked Mancini. If both teams had something to play for it could have been very different.

As it was we finished 3 points behind the previous years total, could easily have been up to 9. Yes we finished a place higher in the end but we seriously flirted with relegation (we were bookies favourites at one stage) for a while there, something we didn''t the previous season. It may have been our highest place finish in 20 years, but for me it certainly wasn''t our best.

No one is asking for Holloway style gung ho football, but we are asking for a better balance to our style of play.

Not many will be able to bring themselves to accept that assessment Mr Brownstone, even though IMO it is absolutely correct. But hey oh, things do look a lot more exciting for this season.

Mr B. in some ways I agree with you,had results been slightly different on the last day I think we would have finished 15/16th which I think would have been a true reflection on our entire season.

Our last two results certainly boosted our position against teams who had nothing to play for and as a team playing wise we were given more freedom.

My one wish for this season is that we try and play the "old" fashioned Norwich way, good passing and looking for the quick break.

OTBC

If the reason that Holt left for Wigwam this summer was due to Hughton''s tactics, what was the reason for the transfer request LAST summer?I don''t really mind that he''s left now, he was excellent for Norwich in getting back to the Prem. and staying there that first season.Seems to be the best outcome for everyone.Hope we get Wigan in a cup match, I''m sure he''ll get a great reception.

And with same logic you could drop 9 points from almost every team... "They were lucky to play that team because 3 of their starters were half fit" etc.

At the end only points matters and our last games (not only those two at the end) were good and solid football.

We had bad spell, but remember games like Sunderland and Arsenal which we were ruled out of victory because of refs and there were few ties which could have been wins with better luck even when we played badly.

During the whole season there were only handful of games where we were clearly worse than our opponent which mean normaly mid table finish and surprise surprise there we ended.

Logic of few good last games gives room for both ways so only fact is that we ended 11th and played better football than season before that.

[quote user="K Lo"]If the reason that Holt left for Wigwam this summer was due to Hughton''s tactics, what was the reason for the transfer request LAST summer?[/quote]Exactly three transfer windows, three requests from Holt to leave

I wasn''t saying you could drop 9 points from us. I was saying that if WBA and City still had something to play for then those games might have been more competitive and the results might not have been the same, and that we could have finished anywhere between 3 and 9 points behind the previous seasons total. As it was we were 3 behind.

1 win in 6 is a bad spell, 2 in 20 is much worse than that. I''ll agree that there weren''t too many occasions when we were noticeably worse than the opposition at home, mainly because we set up in such a way that we stifled the whole game in an effort to keep things tight at the back. Away from home we were crap.

There is NO WAY that we played better football than the previous season. Aboutely no chance. If you think that we did you should see a doctor as soon as possible.

I don''t see what the problem is with being spectators rather than supporters which is clearly what many of you are. You want to be entertained. What''s wrong with that? You pay enough money for your seats. That''s why you were unhappy last season. But for me, after nearly 50 years supporting, I realise the value of 11th place in the best league in the world. Of course I''d like us to win the prem playing expansive attacking football but that''s a far cry from stamping my feet and demanding more after our 6th most successful season ever.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Patronising twaddle[/quote]

Poor debating skills as usual winky. If I''m wrong point out where. I was embarrassed to be part of threads where some of the embarrassing twaddle the likes of Highland was dishing out last season. From the start I may add. When he said we wouldn''t win a game until December. And it looks like this season is heading the same way.

There seems to be a lot of angst on this thread, most of which we''ve had before on this subject.  The simple truth is that a little more quality from the midfield would have meant a better style of football.   Too much giving the ball away.   Simple.   

There were occasions when we looked fantastic last season - away to Swansea  for instance.   We also beat most of the top teams. 

No-one thinks that everything was wonderful for the whole season, but there are a few who seem to think the whole season was terrible.  

It was not.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I wasn''t saying you could drop 9 points from us. I was saying that if WBA and City still had something to play for then those games might have been more competitive and the results might not have been the same, and that we could have finished anywhere between 3 and 9 points behind the previous seasons total. As it was we were 3 behind.

1 win in 6 is a bad spell, 2 in 20 is much worse than that. I''ll agree that there weren''t too many occasions when we were noticeably worse than the opposition at home, mainly because we set up in such a way that we stifled the whole game in an effort to keep things tight at the back. Away from home we were crap.

There is NO WAY that we played better football than the previous season. Aboutely no chance. If you think that we did you should see a doctor as soon as possible.[/quote]Theres no correlation between playing ''good football'' and resultsAsk Arsenal fans.The league table doesnt lie, we were the 11th best team last season regardless of how bad you think we were.

You really do only see what you want don''t you Nutty. I haven''t seen anyone say that at all. Most people think we''ve got an excellent squad and have a good opportunity for a solid season keeping out of trouble and maybe even a cup run, providing the manager learns from his mistakes and finds a better balance.

Not poor debating skills but no desire to get drawn into a childish I''m a better fan than you are debate, your better than that dear boy!

That''s the key Brownstone, providing the management team learn from their mistakes, and I for one am confident that they will!

Nah we played quite much better football last year. As a ex-footballer and current referee I can appreciate what Hughton did with the team. Where Lambert gave hell about football and fired up some lads to kick ball around and hope for the result.

At the end Hughon''s style takes lot more from the team players, it developes them, it is more professional way to play and in long run gives better average position in the table than Lambert style.

As I have said so many times, we didnt just park the bus, we tried to play the game instead of chasing the ball. For me that is big imrovement of playing the better football.

Ofc I understand that for someone that doesnt enjoy tactical aspect of football and all the small details that happens between goal scoring chances Lambert style was only way to go and for the same reason English football in national level has struggled so long as fans only want to see direct football and FA doesnt have the balls revamp whole system.

Anyway every team has games at the end of the season that doesnt matter for other side, or have benefit of opponent being weakened. It doesnt take anything away from us and whole end of the season was good and those two wins were the result of that good run and had nothing to do with other team being on the beach which they weren''t as those guys are professionals.