Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Holt getting nasty towards Hughton!

That''s just pretty much what every Norwich fan was saying anyway.

You don''t like Holt. We know, you''re a prat. We know.

Getting nasty? He''s not 12 years old. Put your agenda aside and read the article for what it is. Holt just being honest.

He wasn''t happy with the role he was being asked to do and all it shows is it was right for him to go. If he wasn''t happy with the role he was being asked to do then it is best for all parties that he leaves the club. Hughton was spot on that we couldn''t afford to let him go in January and kept to his word that they would look at it again in the summer if we stayed up.

Happy for all he''s done with the club but we needed to move on and so did he. There is nothing nasty in that article.

Hell it was the most boring I''ve seen Norwich in years and not so much Hughton but more Calderwood to blame for the negative tactics and coaching in my opinion.

But Hughton did his job, improved the squad beyond belief and with attacking options, so I don''t think we will see such a negative set up this year. To be honest Hughton did the job asked with a limited budget and squad. Did a great job.

Good luck to Holty, will always be a legend here and to be honest he knew with Hooper and RVW he would only ever warm the bench this year so Wigan was a great move for all parties.

[quote user="Joey Deacan"]Holt stole my lunch money once
[/quote]

I saw him cut in front of an old lady at the self service counter of Morrisons and wink as he did it. What an ar$3hole!

Its all fair enough, agree he is just being honest, and we all could see how frustrated he was particularly towards the end of the season when it affected his game a bit. BUT, looking back, I am pleased with how the season went and genuinely believe that a more offensive style with the squad we had would have led to more entertainment.......and relegation with it!

How is that in anyway nasty?

He was asked a straight question, and gave a straight, honest answer. Many of us felt exactly the same way.

Take your anti-Holt agenda, shine it up real nice, turn it sideways and stick it straight up your a*** you pathetic troll.

Reads like an honest response. The tactics were exactly as described and we all saw how he didn''t enjoy it last season. Smashing into defenders in the Championship should be much more up his street this year.

He always said he preferred 2 up front, he was alot better with 2 up front. He''s right with tactics but I think Hughtons view on it was that there was no one good enough to play alongside him.

This obviously led to less goals for him and more defensive team performances. In my opinion if Holt had played in a 2 up front last season he would have got the same if not more goals than the season before, I think there was chance he could still be here (location aside) and I believe it would have been him scoring the winner for England the other night.

Never mind, its all ifs and maybes. I still love him and I don''t hold Hughton to blame.

Fair enough to him, can''t blame him - at least he went about things the right way and still played well til the end.

Will be interesting to see how we set out against Everton.

I wonder how many other players felt the same way as he did about the way they were being asked to play?

He''s just being honest, no nastiness whatsoever, good luck to him.[Y]

Epic troll fail by I am a Banana, that post just makes you look delusional and bitter.

Good honest response from Holty, that''s why I''ll always love him.

Honest but tactless.

Wonder how many other players who have asked to leave the club twice in 6 months are so strongly defended?

Think Norwich are fortunate that Wigan made a good offer, a season of Holt being on the bench or not even that could have got quite ugly.

I''m not sure we can play the same way with the likes of Fer, RVW, Redmond and Hooper in the squad now. There''s too much attacking talent there to waste it on defensive lineups!

To be fair, last summer, what strikers could we have bought for £3m or less (Michu aside who we probably went for along with half the premiership anyway). It was clear that the £3m was better spent on Bassong and as a compromise, our attack wasn''t strengthened enough. Hughton did the right thing building from the back.

If there''s anyone to blame, it''s Morison for his slump in form after his first 5-6 months here. If he''d been playing well, we might have seen 4-4-2.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Honest but tactless.

Wonder how many other players who have asked to leave the club twice in 6 months are so strongly defended?

Think Norwich are fortunate that Wigan made a good offer, a season of Holt being on the bench or not even that could have got quite ugly.

[/quote]This.I think it also highlights why Holt is not that well regarded outside of Norwich (i.e. the England call-up debate). If you can''t adapt to different tactics / managers, then you''re just a lower-league grafter. That''s not meant as an insult. If anything it''s a complement to how far he''s come with so little in his locker.I love Holt and all he has done for this football club, but I think if people take the yellow-tinted glasses off for a second, you''ll see talk of bigger clubs / England call ups is rubbish.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]4-4-2 isn''t more attacking. It''s not the formation, it''s the tactics.[/quote]

I''m not a professional coach but are these two totally different things? I would have thought that the "formation" is a fundamental part of the "tactics" but no doubt you will tell me otherwise.

Yes of curse they are part of the tactics.

But you can play an 8 man defence and still tell them all to attack. Hoolahan as an AM in quite a few games was as advanced up the pitch as Holt.

4-5-1 isn''t a defensive formation, it''s a formation that allows fornanvaroety of approaches, when attacking it becomes 4-2-3-1 when defending 4-4-1-1. Unless you''re playing a DM and two CM ina 4-5-1 it fundamentally is not much less attacking than 4-4-2 considering often in 4-4-2 you''ll have a player like Holt who runs around the whole pitch anyway. Look at WBA when we beat them at the end of the season, they had Lukaku and Long up front I believe, but Lukaku spent ,ost of his time out wide, despite them playing 4-4-2.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Yes of curse they are part of the tactics. But you can play an 8 man defence and still tell them all to attack. Hoolahan as an AM in quite a few games was as advanced up the pitch as Holt. 4-5-1 isn''t a defensive formation, it''s a formation that allows fornanvaroety of approaches, when attacking it becomes 4-2-3-1 when defending 4-4-1-1. Unless you''re playing a DM and two CM ina 4-5-1 it fundamentally is not much less attacking than 4-4-2 considering often in 4-4-2 you''ll have a player like Holt who runs around the whole pitch anyway. Look at WBA when we beat them at the end of the season, they had Lukaku and Long up front I believe, but Lukaku spent ,ost of his time out wide, despite them playing 4-4-2.[/quote]

Many thanks for the response which clearly demonstrates your detailed coaching knowledge. I will watch games with a slightly different focus in future.

It as clear from his performances that he was disillusioned and not wanting to be here - his efforts levels were not the same as previous seasons and it showed on the pitch,  despite that most forum posters refused to accept it.

I dont see this as grant being nasty though - just telling it as it is.

Just confirms that we got a great deal with £2.1m from wigan and the deal was great for all concern.

Good luck Grant - and thanks for all the fish

I think if you gave any striker in the world the choice of our gung-ho approach under Lambert, and our much more conservative approach last season, they would prefer a more attacking style - playing one up front with limited support from fullbacks getting forward etc is always tough on the front man.  I''ve been watching the highlights DVD from last season and it reminds me of how big his contribution was.  Yes his goal tally was down but he was still our top scorer.

So I respect what Holt has said, and it''s hardly tactless to say what is obvously the truth.  In a way it is helpful because it should quell the people complaining that we should have kept Holt.  Clearly with RVW and Hooper coming in, he was probably going to be 3rd choice and preferred to drop a division to play regularly and move nearer home.  So keeping him simply wasn''t an option, better to get some money in and free up the wage bill.  Fair enough all round I''d say.

IMO Holt and the club have handled this in a sensible, grown-up way.  Holt will remain a City legend for me.

All I hope that RVW is not viewed as a straight swap for GH and the message is "same as last season chaps".