Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Thomas Helveg on his way out!

Yeah i also saw this earlier this morning. He''s still got one year left on his contract so we should get some money for him, probably about 250k maximum because of his age.

Worthy, if you are reading this, SIGN PHIL JAGIELKA as our new right-back!!!!

I''d be surprised if we get a penny for him. We got him on a free, he''s getting on, and just getting him off the wage bill would be good enough

Worthy has released all the players he wants to so he''ll command a fee for the Danish captain - one which I doubt Aarhus can afford.

I hope you are right Peter! I am not sure what Aarhus or Odenses finances are like to fund fees or wages.

In many ways Helvegs importance to the team has increased now that Eddy has gone.  As you say Helveg is still under contract and it would be senseless for us to release him for nothing. 

Any fee wont be astronomical but his worth to us is probably beyond any fee we can get.   Look at £400k as a transfer fee - for a div 1 team with Helvegs age and experience that would be a good figure; for that we will need to sign two right backs - and I cant see us getting two for that cash, let alone one who will be as good as Thomas.  As such we need to be looking for more and realistically that is beyond his market value.

Is it worth taking a risk in taking a transfer fee and getting two replacement when he can leave for nothing next summer?  I dont think so - if he plays like he did at the end of this season the defence will be sound and we will have a realistic prospect of promotion.  We can then release him or extend his contract as suits and get a better replacement in than we are likely to sign at the present.

No surprise then that I conclude keeping Thomas for the season and investing in one quality young right back prospect (tranmeres for example) as cover.  The only exception is if a club does come in with an offer over £700k - no I cant see that either.

OTBC 

[quote]Yeah i also saw this earlier this morning. He''s still got one year left on his contract so we should get some money for him, probably about 250k maximum because of his age. Worthy, if you are reading...[/quote]

Good call Francesco.  Jagielka is quality and his wages wouldn''t be nowhere near as much as Helveg.

Doncaster has said that Worthington can use the money saved etc. to strengthen.

Doubt if Warnock will let him go though.  Especially to another club who are looking for promotion/play-offs........

I can see him going, and although it would seem mad because we would then have no right backs, even worthy isnt that stupid. He MUST have someone lined up, now he''s released poor old eddy. Unless of course he''s going to play himself there! Just a bit of a shame we have Brennan and Charlton - two more than capable full backs at championship level, but both of which have habout half a right foot between them! 

i''d imagine it would make sense. helveg struggled with the
game at premier level, it''s no automatic reaction that
he''ll fit into division one is it. that takes a different
skill to adjust to. he needs to be playing for the world cup
so I''d imagine he''ll be going and now is a good time to blend together
a young defence at this level. so they know each other well
for the premier league if we get promotion.

as for jagielka we have to be real sheff united or any of the other
first divisions top players will not move sidewards to norwich.
norwich are not premier league, therefore are no more attractive to
players at clubs like reading, derby and sheff united.

A move to Norwich is NOT sideways for someone like Jagielka or Gabbiddon.  It is UP.  It may not be far enough up to attract them but that is for them to decide.

When we finished 8th a couple of seasons ago would you have been worried that our players might have wanted to move to West Ham or one of the other relegated clubs ?  At v.best clubs like Shef Utd, Reading, Cardiff etc have an outside shot at getting in the playoffs whereas keep our key players and we are one of the title favorites.  We presumably also have a bigger wage budget with the parachute payments.  Any club that comes down while not in complete financial meltdown is still an attrractive move up for most division one players.  OK West Brom are probably more attractive than us right now but some players (like I hope Deano) will view a first team place at a top end division one club as a valuable stepping stone to hopefully a first team place in the prem in an ambitious improving club the year after.

As for Helveg I think he has done pretty well in the prem after a shaky start.  He would be very valuable to us in the championship.  He has TWO years left on his contract (one year PLUS ONE AT THE CLUB''s discretion) so if we don''t want him to go unless he threatens to strike (and he doesn''t seem the type) he''s staying.

[quote]Yeah i also saw this earlier this morning. He''s still got one year left on his contract so we should get some money for him, probably about 250k maximum because of his age. Worthy, if you are reading...[/quote]

I was under the impression PHIL JAGIELKA was a midfielder ?   not a right back ??  and how much would  he cost ?   i can''t see him leaving a div 1 club to join another div 1 club ?

Even if Helveg stays or goes, we need to sign at least one right back.

We can''t go into a 46 game campaign with only one right back on our books, particularly when that one right back is 33 years old.

Ryan Taylor from Tranmere and Phil Jagielka would do nicely.

i''m sorry mat but we might be a better team than the others, but that doesn''t mean were as attractive as we once were. why leave a club like sheff utd that he''s spent years at to just moveto another league one club. I would because I''m a norwich fanbut for players like sidwell and jagelkia it''s a premier teamor stay put.

No I think they will look at us and think we have a better chance of playing Premiership football next year than the clubs they are at. Especially someone like Gabbidon, Cardiff were close to relegation were''nt they? And Sheff Utd haven''t done much in this league for years. If we hold our team together, especially Ashton, people like Jagielka and Tonge will look at us and want to be part of it.

I think Nigel should not only keep Thomas but should make him an important part of his strategy for next season.  I see him as a right back but he did well enough in midfield to suggest he could do a job there if a new right back was brought in.   We are likely to have a younger back line next season and will need an old head.  Talking of heads, Thomas knows where Dean Ashton''s is!!!

So we have Shackell as a fixture.  Drury has made enough of a comeback to suggest that he will regain his confidence and his place.  He is quality but took the brunt of the early home defeat against Arsenal.  It took its toll and has been a long way back.  Anyway, he has a great relationship with Hucks and now that he is established as a left winger, Drury is coming back up to par.

Fleming is now backup only.  He played his heart out but his contribution is declining.  We need a new centre half to bed in with Jason and establish the solidity of two years ago.  Doherty may deserve a chance.  It is hard to see a player with 27 caps in some of his performances but he is young and perhaps worth a run.  I have alot of time for Charlton and would keep him as cover for centre and left back.  Neither he nor Fleming should be first choice because we need an established partnership in the centre that can last for at least a couple of seasons.  Even if Malky had stayed, we would still be in this position now.

That leaves the defence short of experience and a mentor.  We have an international captain at right back who knows the tricks and has put in some (I know not all by any means) quality performances.  I think we need him to help the rest to work.  I don''t want a team of kickers but Thomas is hard and will do what is necessary.  Would Joe Cole have scored at Carrow Road if it had been Helveg not Edworthy he had to go through?  We all know the answer to that.  Yes, it might well have been a yellow card but probably not a goal.

Personally, I''d make Thomas captain for a season and let him lead the others to the success we all want.

I''d certainy like to see Helveg with us next season.  I know he had a few shockers during the season, but it was his first year in the English league, and it''s a hell of a lot different to Serie A, faster and more attacking, etc... Plus we''re talking the TOP FLIGHT of the English League, which he finally seemed to be getting used to towards the end of the season.

So I certainly can''t see him having any difficulty in div 1, and should we win promotion then we may even get another year out of him before old age (35?!?) takes over...

I must say I was disappointed to see Eddy leave, he was a steady worker and usually solid, but was spoiled by contract wrangles... any division one side, or even lower-table prem side, would do well to pick him up - a Hucks vs Eddy battle next season would be interesting!

Anyway, I''ve lost my point... oh yeah, Martin Olsen needs decapitating (Jamie, you know the drill), its the only way we can get him to shut up! Can you imagine if Sven came out (ha ha) and said that Paul Robinson should be playing for a "bigger club" than Spurs... okay, so it would p*ss off the arrogant Spurs fans and would be hilarious in that way, but it wouldn''t be right and half of England would probably be calling for his head!

It would be nice for Thomas to look around him and see that the majority of Norwich fans do want him to stay, and I think he could be a real player of the season contender in div 1!

So Thomas, here''s a personal plea - stay with us, play like you did towards the end of the season (improve your passing... oops, did I say that out loud?), and you will be rewarded with the thrill of an open-top bus ride around sunny Norwich next May...

Needs to keep his fitness levels up for the upcoming international games. Colney''s closed so this makes sense. He''ll be our right-back next season.

I''m glad we have your vote of confidence Pete!

Do you share a pyschic link with any other key players so you can telepathically ensure that they stay?

Kev

[quote]Needs to keep his fitness levels up for the upcoming international games. Colney''s closed so this makes sense. He''ll be our right-back next season.[/quote]

i just really hope your right peter!