Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Everton

How quickly the years roll round when you get older. Can it really be 60 years since my dad first took me to CR and ignited a lifetimes love affair with the Yellow and Green? I noticed this morning that the Swift''s that had been flying round my house all summer had finally departed for Africa. For me, that''s always a sign of a new season and whether it will be disaster or glory, we won''t know until they return in May.You may know that Ricardo loves an omen but I have to report that the stroll to CR today was largely omen free. There were large queues in front of turn-styles 32 and 33 but strangely none at No 35 so I walked in, presented my card and was admitted to the accompaniment of flashing lights. All very hi-tech and a bit different to my sixpenny piece at the wooden turn-styles in 1953. Anyway, I digress, so on to the game. The team looked a bit on the thin side with no Snoddy, Leroy, Seb, Pilks or Hooper but I suppose that''s what having a strong squad is all about. After about 9 minutes of Everton possession with no end result, City finally got a foot on the ball when Wes won a free kick on the left that was eventually cleared with some difficulty but it seemed to spark City into action. A great move, again down the left between Wes and Benno ended with a cross that seemed destined for RVW''s head only for Distin to deflect it for a corner. Then it was Wolfie again breaking clear in the inside left position and crossing nicely only for an Everton defender to sky it over his own bar with Wes hovering to pounce.At the other end the powerful Fellaini headed over then opened things up for Miralles who was only a yard wide with a low effort. Everton were soon back in the ascendancy with the City midfield being largely out muscled. Wes v Fellaini is just no contest and the little man compounded things by not being crisp enough with his passing. In this respect, Johhny Howson and Bradley Johnson were also far to often guilty parties. However despite the vast balance of possession there was little to test John Ruddy and when halftime arrived all square my thoughts were that it was a decent enough half against what looked to be a top six or seven side.We needed to do a bit more in midfield second half but the signs were not good when Everton swept forward from the off and almost snatched the lead when Miralles had a chance but could only hit the side netting. Perversely, it was City who drew first blood when Whittaker rode three tackles in a mazy run that left him with a clear shot from just inside the angle of the area. It looked a goal all the way from my seat above the River End goal but it struck the post and rebounded out where Whittaker was first to it and tucked the ball in from a narrow angle. It was all City for a while but Everton were soon pushing back and within 10 minutes it was all square again. It was however disappointing to see a throw in near the corner flag being worked all the way across to the centre of the D without a challenge. What you couldn''t argue with was that Barkley struck it beautifully and Ruddy had no chance.City were shaky for a while and only four minutes later conceded again when the defence was caught as stationary as a traffic cone exhibition. Ruddy saved Jellavic''s effort but Coleman was left with an open goal to thrash in the second. To their credit City tried to come forward with Benno and Nathan Redmond showing flashes skill but somehow it didn''t seem convincing. Then on 71 minutes Redmond wriggled past a couple of challenges and a good cross-field ball found Whittaker closing in on the right. The fullback was sensing another goal but his effort was mishit but fortunately fell nicely for RVW. The big Dutchman rose majestically to power a header past Tim Howard in fine style. There were chances to win it but mainly they came Everton''s way. Garrido and Ruddy blocked a point blank effort from Jellavic and Garrido then did brilliantly to foil Naismith when it looked for all the world that he might snatch the winner. Four minutes added time was played out without further alarms by which time I think both sides were happy with a point.So, a decent first match against a good side and the first point on the board. I''m happy enough with that and with several key players still missing I think I''ve seen enough to say that we won''t be flirting with the trapdoor this season. Nathan Redmond impressed me most and although by no means the finished article he showed enough for us to see a star in the making. RVW made his first repayment today and looked a real handful and barring injury will easily net double figures this season.All in all not a bad start.[:D]

Only edit for you, which is fair enough as you were at the river end and I was near the goal in the Barclay, the Naismith block was Martin not Garrido. Only pointing it out as the credit is fully deserved

Good read as usual Ricardo, it reflects my opinions. I think young Redmond excelled, just made some mistakes due to inexperience. Our CM gave the ball away far too cheaply though...Jonno didn''t have his best game, nor did Wes... We were missing 4 key players , so I was delighted with the draw

[quote user="Xander11ncfc"]Only edit for you, which is fair enough as you were at the river end and I was near the goal in the Barclay, the Naismith block was Martin not Garrido. Only pointing it out as the credit is fully deserved[/quote]Ta Xander. I will have to get some new glasses.

I made the mistake of reading some other posts before this and was really puzzled thinking I had watched a different game. But, now I am reassured that I did indeed watch Norwich City vs Everton and as per usual Ricardo puts in an excellent balanced report.

I came away from the game thinking, that based on today''s performance by not our strogest side against a strong Everton side, that we will be in for a decent season. It is very early days, but you could also see from some parts of the later friendlies that this could well be the case......so much talent missing from that starting eleven today.   

Excellent report as usual, Ricardo. Agree with Dubai Mark that some people saw a completely different match, but your report coincided with my views almost entirely. Thanks for all that you do!

Great report as always Rickyyyyy! I''d describe our performance as brave and strong. Especially from the back where we were brave enough to try and keep possession where so many City teams in the past would have been happy just to get the ball upfield. My MOM was Whittaker. Just as last season he''s brave coming forward and nowhere is too far forward for him. But the whole team played well and whilst we are rightly saying that we had big players missing I''m glad I don''t have the job of finding them a place in the line-up when they''re fit.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Great report as always Rickyyyyy! I''d describe our performance as brave and strong. Especially from the back where we were brave enough to try and keep possession where so many City teams in the past would have been happy just to get the ball upfield. My MOM was Whittaker. Just as last season he''s brave coming forward and nowhere is too far forward for him. But the whole team played well and whilst we are rightly saying that we had big players missing I''m glad I don''t have the job of finding them a place in the line-up when they''re fit.

[/quote]Thanks Nigel. Did you have any trouble getting in with the new card swipe system?There were big queues at a couple of turnstiles at the River End circa 2.30pm and I did see one moaning guy turned away.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Xander11ncfc" Only edit for you, which is fair enough as you were at the river end and I was near the goal in the Barclay, the Naismith block was Martin not Garrido. Only pointing it out as the credit is fully deserved[/quote]Ta Xander. I will have to get some new glasses. /quote]

Don''t worry Ricardo, you were right. Russ did make a great block but, as you say, so did Garrido.

Other than that, an astute analysis as always. Thank you.

No trouble buddy. In Blanket Boulevard they scan it for you. I did see big queues elsewhere though. I''m wondering if you have to go through specific turnstiles now?

Great right up, tah muchly as usual Ricardo.

It will be interesting to see how the teams line up when they next meet and if we will see Baines or Fellaini in a different teams shirt before then.

[quote user="fonejacker"]Ricardo, what''s your opinion on Howson''s performance today?[/quote]Struggled a bit but stuck at it gamely. Not the best of games for the entire midfield IMO.

The van Wolfswinkel goal sounds spookily similar to Sutton''s winner in that tempestuous FA Cup sixth round reply against Southampton. A mishit shot from the right that cunningly turns into a perfect centre and a looping header.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]The van Wolfswinkel goal sounds spookily similar to Sutton''s winner in that tempestuous FA Cup sixth round reply against Southampton. A mishit shot from the right that cunningly turns into a perfect centre and a looping header.[/quote]Wolfie''s was a much better finish.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]The van Wolfswinkel goal sounds spookily similar to Sutton''s winner in that tempestuous FA Cup sixth round reply against Southampton. A mishit shot from the right that cunningly turns into a perfect centre and a looping header.[/quote]Wolfie''s was a much better finish.[/quote]

I can believe that, ricardo. The Sutton header seemed more to hit his head rather than be properly headed, and was very loopy indeed!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]The van Wolfswinkel goal sounds spookily similar to Sutton''s winner in that tempestuous FA Cup sixth round reply against Southampton. A mishit shot from the right that cunningly turns into a perfect centre and a looping header.[/quote]Wolfie''s was a much better finish.[/quote]

I can believe that, ricardo. The Sutton header seemed more to hit his head rather than be properly headed, and was very loopy indeed!

[/quote]Indeed Purple.Sutton''s goal was more what you might term an inadvertant header with much more of a loop, while Wolfie''s was delightfully measured and with no little amount of power. It will have done his confidence the power of good.

Agreed - Sutton header was instinctive reaction that came off, while wolfies was technically superb - saw it coming, picked his spot and added some power. The best bit was his movement which meant he had lost both centre backs - something he did time and again.

When we find him he will score.

It sure was a class finish, and he is clearly a player with an excellent pedigree, good touch and hard for a defender to pick-up. When we consider we also have Gary Hooper who I thought really impressed in pre season, then we have two real top quality strikers who will take a high percentage of chances that they have. I am also of the view that Becchio is better than many are making out, and he too will not let us down when he is required, add one more option of a different style,like the rumoured Elmander and we will have the best choice of strikers this club has had in many years.