Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's (Very Late) Ref Watch

I usually get home after the game (I''m not that far away from the ground) at about 5 O Clock, and more often than not get on here  do the ''Ref Watch''. This doesn''t give me time to see any replays or hear any other versions of events therefore what you get is an honest how I saw it view. This didn''t happen yesterday as I was working last night and had to be out by six...

Anyhow, this year it''s going to look slightly different...

Michael Oliver

The mere mention of his name usually fills me with dread, was he going to continue in the same vein...?

Good Points

For most of the game he was fairly anonymous for most of the game - the sign of a good Ref, so they say!

Played some superb advantages, and also brought play back when the advantage didn''t materialise - excellent.

The bookings were justified.

Bad points

Once or twice wasn''t decisive when giving decisions, as both he and the lino (sorry, assistant Ref) gave nothing.

Should have booked their number 22 as he argued about everything that didn''t go their way and was involved in a couple of naughty incidents.

Although he played some good advantages he also gave some very soft fouls. Players realising they were not going to get the ball simulated being fouled and a few times he fell for it

Overall

Pleasantly surprised by a reasonably good performance. He did nothing to spoil a very entertaining game.

He wasn''t trying hard enough still likely to see him again however not as poor apparently as Arsenal ref Wenger did manage to see those decision. Strange that.

[quote user="pete"]He wasn''t trying hard enough still likely to see him again however not as poor apparently as Arsenal ref Wenger did manage to see those decision. Strange that.[/quote]

The game was I believe an easy one to ref.   Everton are strong and on the whole fair, as are we.   No Snodgrass or Holt trying to win cheap free kicks, and Fellaini was kept quiet enough by Jonno and the rest of the midfield.   A good game to watch and I suspect Oliver had it relatively easy. 

I thought he did alright was surprised, maybe we wont have "new boy" or "small team" feel now after 2 years ? Sure on the replay the Hull keeper gave old Torres a right hook but I knew the second Torres went down it was gonna be a peno vs Hull !

[quote user="lake district canary"]and Fellaini was kept quiet enough by Jonno and the rest of the midfield.  
[/quote]

Fellaini ran the midfield (and the game) for large chunks of the match.

I think Oliver got most things right. Though I think he missed a couple of things from Fellaini.