Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Andrea Caracciolo

From the BBC website:

Norwich are planning a double signing of Galatasaray''s 32-year-old striker Johan Elmander, who used to play for Bolton, and forward Andrea Caracciolo, 31, of Brescia.

Full story: Daily Mail

Bit of a strange choice if we are also going for Elmander unless of course Becchio is off. This guy is 31 but scores roughly 1 in every 2 games. He has 1 Italy cap 6 or 7 years ago. A lot of his goals are in the B league where he is now so that is championship stuff, still sounds goodish if he does not cost too much

''The Times are reporting that Norwich have made an approach for Brescia striker Andrea Caracciolo, 31, who scored 16 league goals in Serie B last season.''

If accurate, this throws up lots of questions.

Maybe Elmander is being lined up to play where Hoolahan was playing on Saturday ("support striker", "number 10" of whatever we call it)? Apparently Laudrup consistently played him as a creative attacker at Brøndby.

Hughton likes a bit of versatility and a number of players Hughton has signed have had success in more than one position at previous clubs Of the signings so far this seaon, Olsson has played LB and LW, Fer has played nearly every outfield position, Redmond has played winger and in the hole, etc.

I can''t honestly say a Serie B striker like Caracciolo would fill me with great confidence, but Hughton''s signings over the past year or so have been generally very good.

Don''t think the future looks bright for Becchio.

Does look like luciano is off - palace the latest to be rumoured.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Does look like luciano is off - palace the latest to be rumoured.[/quote]If true then its really harsh not to give him the opportunity, he did score goals for Leeds, and could potentially for us? I suppose if we sell him for a profit then not all is lost?

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Does look like luciano is off - palace the latest to be rumoured.[/quote]If true then its really harsh not to give him the opportunity, he did score goals for Leeds, and could potentially for us? I suppose if we sell him for a profit then not all is lost?[/quote]or sell him back to Leeds at a profit, now that would be sweet [:D]

Going back to the age thing i know but he turns 32 next month. When a player of that age has never played in the premier

league/England before, i think it will be a culture shock. Even the Wolf

commented on it after the game on Saturday, but he is young enough and

has the time to adapt.

Wanted to see Becchio given a real chance. Very harsh if he goes (unless Hughton has genuinely not seen enough in training?). Luciano linked well with Howson for that goal against WBA and looks to have a decent touch and good strength. When I watched him last season he certainly put himself about and chased well. It just seems like he has a judgement made on him already by Hughts if he wants rid. He''s obviously a good finisher as he''s scored wherever he''s played and maybe need a good run just like Howson etc seemed to need. Would like to see him get on against Hull at some point. Hopefully we do well there and he can come on in a good situation

I trust hoots to make good signings, the more bodies the better.

I am disapointed though that bechio has not been given a proper chance.

He scored goals for fun in the championship over a period of time. He deserves a chance.

If he doesnt suit hoots style of play, why the hell did he sign him. Could understand it more if he was a player he inherited.

Unless there is stuff going on behind the scenes we dont know about, as bechio has never seemed happy here. Has anyone ever seem him smile?

"Going back to the age thing i know but he turns 32 next month. When a player of that age has never played in the premier league/England before, i think it will be a culture shock."

Canaries Utd, I agree entirely. The risk of culture shock will be very big, especially as this guy has never played outside Italy.

The Brescia local paper is running this transfer story as well, and says our management have been talking to the Brescia president, which suggests it has legs.

Always boggles my mind that so many take it as read when we are linked in the media to a player - even when that media has such a bad reputation for fabrication... like the Italian Sports Media.

Even in the unlikely event that we have contacted Brescia about a player, are we sure its this particular player? There is another Caracciolo on Brescia''s books - Antonio Caracciolo. Could it simply be a case of mistaken identity.

Or, is it just crap? Now I wouldn''t rule that out!

Bit of an odd rumour, personally prefer us tto go for someone abit younger for the 4th choice striker. Despite the Ipswich link I think Connor Wickham would be a good choice and Di Canio doesn''t seem to have him in his plans.

I hope it''s not true - it just seems like we''re stuck trying to get someone from Italy! Do we not have scouts in other parts of the world?! From Quag to this guy..

I guess there''s the Elmander link too though. Too much cr*p coming from Italy like other posters have said. Take it with a pinch of salt. What happened to the players we were linked to in Belgium like M''Boyo? There was also that link to N''Doye in Russia. I''m sure there''ll be a surprise or two. I''m hoping we pinch a quality SS/AM from out of the blue

Get the feeling this could all be a smokescreen to the Quag deal, nobody else has been forthcoming for Quag (apart from a Qatar team I think) which is too early in his career, but who knows hey.

[quote user="York Canary"]

I hope it''s not true - it just seems like we''re stuck trying to get someone from Italy! Do we not have scouts in other parts of the world?! From Quag to this guy..

I guess there''s the Elmander link too though. Too much cr*p coming from Italy like other posters have said. Take it with a pinch of salt. What happened to the players we were linked to in Belgium like M''Boyo? There was also that link to N''Doye in Russia. I''m sure there''ll be a surprise or two. I''m hoping we pinch a quality SS/AM from out of the blue

[/quote]

I think it is more a case of the Italian media now knowing we are chasing a striker, and don''t mind going for someone a little older. If you think the English press is bad for making up transfer rumours, it is nothing compared to Italy. Personally I don''t tend to believe anything coming out of Sky Italy, let alone all the smaller crazier outlets.

It''s fairly clear that Norwich have hit a couple of brick walls in transfers recently, McNally and Hughton have both sounded less definite than before about further additions. Wouldn''t be hugely surprised if we don''t see any major activity between now and the end of the window.