Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Team for Hull?

I know it''s early and I have to say appart from 10 minutes where we appeared to switch off while a decent Everton scored two goals, we looked a far better side than last season.

My only gripe is with Wes yet again! when will he learn about passing the simple ball, we totally ineffective and bullied out of the game. Should have been subbed at half time.

That aside I have to say Redmond looked very promising, RVW run the channels superb and his goal was that of a true top class stiker, 1 chance 1 goal.

So with Snodders fit and Fer available what to do about Hull?

Fir me as goos as Bennett was this week, Snodders comes back in and I have to say I would swap Wes with Fer and last if Bassong is fit then drop Turner. Martin and Whittaker were both superb and I cannot see why Martin & Bassong can''t be our CB''s,

Great times when we can hold Everton to a 2-2 draw without 5 probable staters, Snodders, Bassong, Hooper, Pilks & Fer.

Ruddy

Martin  Seb  Turner Garrido

Tettey  Fer

Bennett  Wes   Redmond

Wolfie

Subs

Bunn Whittaker Bennett Hooper Howson Snodgrass Johnson

Wes does so much defensive work - I am not sure Hooper will do that. Wes lost the ball less than his peers, and did as much defensive work,  it was not a good game from him. But he was not even the worst of the centre mids - but cm  is the biggest gap we have.

Agree that the new players have stepped up teh quality we have - am excited at seeing what Fer can bring and him partnering with Tettey - the most impressive CM on show sat is a good prospect.    Sign another in CM and we have a team to be feared.

Ruddy

Whittaker                     R.Bennett                        Bassong                  Olsson

Fer

Snodgrass                         Howson                      Hoolahan                Redmond

Van Wolfswinkel

2CDM''s is too defensive in my opinion (for this game)  Players not dropped, more rotated.  This season Hughton needs to pick a team for each game based on opponents and possible points to be achieved.  This is winnable so he should pick a team capable of going at them.                                      

Wes missed 4 passes all game, he didn''t lose possesion that much.

He had a quiet game, but did a good job closing down Fellaini and Osman. While his performace doesn''t merit being dropped - one out of him, Johnson and Howson will make way.

Personally I hope to see Johnson and Fer playing behind Howson (who was very good after moving further forward). Snodgrass in for Elliott Bennett, Bassong in for Martin (who takes Whittaker''s place) and Olsson in for Garrido. Whittaker was good going forward (although both goals had massive slices of luck) but he was suspect at times defensively, he almost gifted a goal to Pienaar in the first half. It''s very much a 50/50 call on Whittaker or Martin to be honest, neither deserves to be dropped, but Bassong is Norwich''s best defender and something needs tightening up after Saturday.

I have a feeling Redmond won''t be starting. I think we will be seeing a lot more of him at Carrow Road than away from home this season, we must remember he''s only 19 and Hughton will want to keep him fresh. He also may seem him as more of a luxury player which he may not want away from home...

Ruddy

Whittaker Turner Bassong Garrido

E Bennett Johnson Fer Olsson

Howson

RvW

I guess you could move Benno to the left instead of Olsson and play Snoddy but I think he is far more effective on the left & Hughton will like the added pace and defensive ability of Olsson I feel.

I have a feeling Redmond won''t be starting and that''s no reflection of his performance on Saturday. I think we will be seeing a lot more of him at Carrow Road than away from home this season, we must remember he''s only 19 and Hughton will want to keep him fresh. He also may seem him as more of a luxury player which he may not want away from home. What a sub to use at 60/70 minutes though.

Ruddy

Whittaker Turner Bassong Garrido

E Bennett Johnson Fer Olsson

Howson

RvW

I guess you could move Benno to the left instead of Olsson and play Snoddy but I think he is far more effective on the left & Hughton will like the added pace and defensive ability of Olsson I feel.

Look I am the first to admit that Wes has been one of our best players over the years but he was an integral reason to our poor scoring record last season.

If Hughton insists on playing this formation the No10 has to have a goal threat (something Wes left in League 1) I was one of Howsons biggest critics last season but would prefer to see him or Fer in behind the striker.

Ideally a new signing or Hooper who really gives the opposition something to think about (and the striker more opportunity) Wes as an impact sub when plan A isn''t working.

I can see this from CH:-

Ruddy

Whittaker   Turner   Bassong   Garrido

Fer    Johnson

E. Bennett   Howson   Redmond

RvW

Subs:- Bunn, Olsson, Martin, Tettey, Snodgrass, Hoolahan, Hooper

If Pilks is fit then he''ll take either Hoolahan''s or Tettey''s place on the bench probably. Brutal, but I can''t see CH doing anything else. Amazing to think our team has the kind of depth this season that means players like Tettey/Becchio/Hoolahan could be out of the picture altogether on match days.

Then you''ve got Ayala, Fox and Butterfield too. Plus we''re after another striker who has to fit in somewhere!

Harsh on Whittaker & Redmond I know:

RuddyMartin Turner Bassong GarridoSnodgrass Johnson Fer OlssonHowsonRvW

Pretty much none of us agrees on the starting line-up, so Hughton''s bound to get slated come 2:30 on Saturday.

No wacky. Only 1 less tackle, covered plenty of ground and deeper than bj or howson at times too. As Bethnal points out only missed 4 passes all game and even including ceilings dispossessed lost ball less than howson or bj.

Reasons for lack of goals more down to cm duo passing below 70% success rate causing 33% possession than Wes. Same last season.

Change Wes for fer and keep bj and howson will not solve the problem alone.

Why are so many people going with Bennett ahead of a fit Snodgrass? Sorry but Snodders is a far better player and offers more.

I''m not saying Wes gave the ball away passing, although I bet his pass completion was poor, but he was never on the ball and ineffective against Everton.

I hope that Hughton see''s the Hull gams as one of those we should get 3 points from. Not saying it will be easy but we should be targetting the promoted sides as winnable games if we are to move up that league.

Might even be a call for Hooper to play off RVW as the lnk up player, if fit.

It''s great to have options.

"Let''s be aving you: ARE YOU SERIOUS??? SURELY YOU CAN''T LEAVE WHITTAKER OUT!!!!!"

I prefer Martin defensively, but Whittaker attacking-wise. Both played well on Saturday: Whittaker scored and assisted, but got a bit lucky with both goals. Martin made a fantastic goal-line block near the death.

I notice that Bethnal calls them very close as well in his post above.

Hughton is no longer restricted in what system he has to play as he now has a much stronger squad.

I am sure he will now vary it a bit and against Hull I feel we will see a much different team.

I can see Fer, Snodgrass and Hooper starting against but think it may be too early for Bassong.

If he does play both Hooper and van Wolfswinkel then it would not surprise me to see Tettey start with Fer in the centre of the midfield.

Ruddy

Whittaker, Turner, Martin, Garrido

Snodgrass, Tettey, Fer, Redmond

Hooper, van Wolfswinkel.

Cant''t believe some people have got Snodgrass on the bench?!?......if he''s fit he plays but it maybe at the expense of Redmond instead of Bennett.

The midfield area will be the key area vs Hull. They will probably start with Huddlestone and Livermore and we face a battle to win this area....if we do, I think we win this one, so I can see Hughton bolstering it by playing Fer as the 3rd midfielder.........

Ruddy

Whittaker   Martin   Turner  Garrido

Snodgrass   Howson  Johnson  Redmond

Fer

Van Wolfswinkel

subs, Bunn,Olsson,Bassong (can''t see him being thrown straight in before the Bury cup match?),Tettey,Bennet.E,Hoolahan,Hooper

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Bassong Olsson

Bennett/Snoddy Tettey Fer Snodgrass/Pilks

Redmond

RVW.

Let Tettey and Fer dominate the Hull midfield. Snoddy and Bennett provide width and decent cover as Redmond left Garrido exposed a lot on Saturday, and play Redmond in the hole. That way we don''t lose the shape, and keep as much pace up front and strength in the midfield as possible....

I''m not sure how much it''ll change from the team that played Everton.

A 2-2 draw in the opening game against a very good Everton side is a very decent start to the season. It''s going to be a difficult one for the manager because nobody was particularly poor and nobody was really outstandingly good.

Having said that, obviously there are 2 or 3 players who are likely to be first choice when fit and they''re going to come back in at some point.

GK Ruddy

LB Olsson

DC Bassong

DC Martin

RB Whittaker

LM Redmond

CM Johnson

CM Howson

RM Snodgrass

AM Fer

ST RVW

Subs. Bunn, Garrido, R. Bennett, Fox, E. Bennett, Pilks (if fit),

Hooper

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Cant''t believe some people have got Snodgrass on the bench?!?......if he''s fit he plays but it maybe at the expense of Redmond instead of Bennett.

The midfield area will be the key area vs Hull. They will probably start with Huddlestone and Livermore and we face a battle to win this area....if we do, I think we win this one, so I can see Hughton bolstering it by playing Fer as the 3rd midfielder.........

Ruddy

Whittaker   Martin   Turner  Garrido

Snodgrass   Howson  Johnson  Redmond

Fer

Van Wolfswinkel

subs, Bunn,Olsson,Bassong (can''t see him being thrown straight in before the Bury cup match?),Tettey,Bennet.E,Hoolahan,Hooper

[/quote]

Several tough calls for Hughton on Saturday as this thread makes very clear.  Above is my guess for what Hughton will do.  He''s not the sort of manager to chop and change like Lambert did, but I think Fer looks good enought to come straight into the side behind RVW - they played like this for most of the RS friendly and Fer looked good in that pairing IMO.  Not 100% sure he''ll bring Snoddy in given how good EB was on Saturday but my guess is that he will assuming Snoddy is fully fit.  Also, I think Basso will come back as soon as he''s properly fit but if he''s not quite ready, I think RM and Turner looked good enough.

Somebody put on the last page that Snodgrass is more effective on the left. In what universe?

I''d go

Ruddy

Whittaker Turner Bassong Olsson

Johnson Fer

Snodgrass Howson Redmond

RVW

[quote user="splutcho"]Somebody put on the last page that Snodgrass is more effective on the left. In what universe? I''d go Ruddy Whittaker Turner Bassong Olsson Johnson Fer Snodgrass Howson Redmond RVW[/quote]

I just saw those 2 names together and thought I read Bang & Olufsen!! lol

Bassongs tweets have stated he needs more game time before been ready for first team football, so I expect the back 5 to be the same as Saturday.

Redmond has to play, and calls for him to be dropped for Snoddy are crazy. I expect Snoddy to come in for Bennett.

I think Fer will come in alongside probably BJ (Although I was impressed with Tettey) pushing Howson into the elusive 10 role.

RVW9 up top

------------------Ruddy-----------------

Whittaker Russ Turner Garrido

-----------------Fer BJ---------------

Snoddy-------------------- Redmond

---------------Howson-------------------

RVW9

By the way to the add that Wes lost ball less than Howson and Johnson his passes and dribbles created more cross, free kick and shooting situations than any other player from our starting 11 at saturday. So even thought he wasnt effective as normaly he was better than rest what we had.

Ofc you could say that is his job to create those, but when you add his tackling record and passing record on that same role you can do the math and think again who failed and in what.

Anyway as much I would like to see Fer and Tettey on the middlefield I doubt Hughton would drop Johnson after one poor game. Also as we struggled in playmaking I doubt we have two strikers against Hull on the field at same time if not trailing.

So if Snoddy is fit and Hughton trust Bassong is already in 90 min shape I think we will have formation like this.

------------------------RvW----------------------

Redmond ------ Hoolahan ----- Snoddy

-------------Johnson---------Fer --------------

Garrido - Bassong - Turner . Whittaker

Redmond can be changed on Bennett, but Elliot isnt at his best on left and neither is Snoddy so I think this is stabile. Olsson could play there too, but I think that as he is saved for a tactical sub as he was bit behind in fitness in pre-season. Had a hard time to chose between Turner and Martin and I personaly would prefer Martin as his positioning is so good and he is good with ball too, but I think Hughton has huge trust in Turner and his raw strenght.

Whittaker bassong turner olsson

Snodgrass Johnson fer Redmond

Hooper

RvW

Fer will be the ''third man'' to get into the box and his abilities at breaking the play down mean he won''t be placed in the AM role.

For me as much as I love hoolahan I think its time to move on. In the diamond it was far easier for him to create clear cut chances. Think ive Read somewhere Hooper has already said he still likes playing behind another striker and I think that speaks volumes as to hughtons plans for him.

[quote user="York Canary"]

I can see this from CH:-

Ruddy

Whittaker   Turner    Martin   Garrido

Fer    Johnson

E. Bennett   Howson   Redmond

RvW

Subs:- Bunn, Olsson,  Bassong , Tettey, Snodgrass, Hoolahan, Hooper

If Pilks is fit then he''ll take either Hoolahan''s or Tettey''s place on the bench probably. Brutal, but I can''t see CH doing anything else. Amazing to think our team has the kind of depth this season that means players like Tettey/Becchio/Hoolahan could be out of the picture altogether on match days.

Then you''ve got Ayala, Fox and Butterfield too. Plus we''re after another striker who has to fit in somewhere!

[/quote]I like this set up, I dont think Bass is fit enough for the full 90 and its early but i think we need to smash and grab Hull and want the 3pts. I think our defense deserve to keep thier places and would actually favour Martin over Turner, he was superb on saturday and had a fantastic showing for Scotland. This guy could well be a surprise package at CB for us this season.Redmond and Beno were superb and as great as Snoddy is they deserve to keep thier spots, think thier pace will also cause havoc against Hull.I would like to see Hooper in the hole and maybe a half time change Howson / Hooper  Hooper / Howson or Snoddy even if things are not going as planned. Or even push Fer up and bring Tettey on ?! Want Wes to sit 90 mins on the bench, he needs to learn to pass the ball, hes becoming increasingly more frustraiting and as we get more quality in I dont see him getting as much time as he''s used to. When hes good hes a world beater, when hes bad hes terrible and we cant afford that this season :(I think the best conclusion really is like going to a ice cream shop and trying to decide on chocolate sauce, sprinkles , fudge or whipped cream. You want the whole lot and you can only have 2 !!! Great work CH and McNally on getting us some real depth in squad !!!

"I think the best conclusion really is like going to a ice cream shop and trying to decide on chocolate sauce, sprinkles , fudge or whipped cream. You want the whole lot and you can only have 2 !!!"

Try telling that to Steve Bruce.

Hehehehe, he really looks like hes had all 4 toppings doesnt he ! Im guessing the championship pies are of the highest standard !