Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Silence is not golden.

The second half started with no noise from our fans. You could hear the players voices quite easily and individual conversations around the ground. Weird! Our first game of the season, an exciting first half - yet absolutely no support coming from the stands after the break for about five minutes.    Are we stupified after the interval? 

A sign of the times? Spectating rather than participating?   I don''t often sit in the Wensum Area - I swear the two people on my left never moved, shouted or clapped during the whole match - but it was so quiet that it made me wonder why it was so quiet, not just there, but around the ground.  

We expect the players to turn up for 90 minutes, but it seems the crowd are more interested in idle chit chat than getting behind the players after the break.   At away matches the away fans are vocal for the whole game.  Where do their voices go at CR?   When we really get behind the players it helps them and the start of the second half is an important part of the match.   Where were we?

Still in the bar for many LDC.

Trying to get a pint at half time in the City stand can take so long, by the time you get served the whistle has gone.

Not good though I agree, we always seem vulnerable just before and after half time.

Good that you got to see a game.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Still in the bar for many LDC.

Trying to get a pint at half time in the City stand can take so long, by the time you get served the whistle has gone.

Not good though I agree, we always seem vulnerable just before and after half time.

Good that you got to see a game.[/quote]

I go to several home matches every season and never noticed it quite as much as this time.  It was quite eerie  for about five minutes - not a peep out of the fans. Perhaps we need the old 321 just before the second half too.   I hate the spoon feeding of it before the start of the match, but if it gets the crowd involved again, maybe it''s what is needed.

[quote user="Vanwink"]No thanks[/quote]

Agreed! It''s bad enough once!

I think it''s probably a combination of people still returning from the bar, stuffing pies they''ve just bought down their throats, and as many people were a bit late getting into the ground there may have been a bit of an element of people still catching up with people they hadn''t seen for 3 months.

Was a bit odd though. On the whole the support was pretty good though, better than the away support that only sang for the first 5 minutes and during the 10 minute spell from when they equalised to when we equalised.

As someone who sits in the N&P, the stand moaned at for being so quiet I am often amazed how quiet the snake pit sounds. 
Maybe its a distance thing!

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

Had a similar experience from the Wensum area. Obstructed view as well, with all the boats getting in the way.

[/quote]

Nutty has a different sort of obstruction....

one of the main reasons away games are better and an important "pro" in me jacking my season ticket in years ago, (that and a 5-6 hour round trip).

Its a shame these quiet folk are now well ahead of lots of loud away fans because of this obviously not-thought-out-properly away points system.

sssshhhhhh!

I thought Barclay A block was quieter than usual actually. I tried my best mind.

And I think whoever said it is right about fans coming for a chat. The bloke in front of me swapped seats with his partner about 6 times during the match in order to talk to various people, didn''t even watch the game for the most part and (during the 20 mins with the goals!) stood up, turned round and tried to get his mates attention to ask if he was going down The Rose for a pint later. Never seen anything like it, the bloke was a grade A moron.

I thought the scouse special needs day out was more amusing.Silence....Silence....goal.... big old sing song... Ricky scores... silence....silenceThey basically just gave it a good 20 min session and did feck all else ! woeful support

Parma always had a fans representative with a mic connected to a tannoy system. The song rep would stand in front of the Curva Nord ( Barclay equivalent) and orchestrate the singing, announcing the chosen song then launching in. The tannoy was audible all around the ground so the whole stadium could join in. There was a formal club liaison for this and the problems you might expect (appropriateness, bad language, etc) were ironically not prevalent. Song lists could be vetted in advance ( with both reps bent realistic) and the fans feeling a sense of inclusion (and thus responsibility). Whilst this might seem a little "spoon-feedy" on paper, the result was better atmosphere, permanent singing, song generation/ liaison/ creation. It also created a direct link club to fans.

There must have been silence pre-match as half the fans were still queued up outside trying to get in, thanks to the new improved tunrstiles!

And those helpful stuards just stood there bemused! one old gent was queued in the Lower Barclay for 15 mintutes only to be told at the gate the upper Barclay queue was the next one!

Anyhow disagree with you LDC, from the snake pit and lower Barclay it was good, all in good voice, but then some fans just moan for the sake of it!

[quote user="Indy"]

but then some fans just moan for the sake of it!

[/quote]

No.........

Really?

I''d never have thought it!

Might have been better had they been stewards!

Did anyone notice the rather rounded police officer gatting a little stick from the snake pit?

Depends on where you sit, where did you sit LDC?

As for the away fans, that''s not entirely true, I''ve been to a few away games and it''s not always noise for 90 minutes! long periods where the city fans just stand and chat to each other too.

I think the OPs point was that it was a bit quiet at CR on Saturday compared to previous home games, which was my impression watch on a stream.  I think some of the crowd still being on the beach could be part of it.  With the signings we''ve made and a 3rd season in the Prem you''d have thought the crowd would have been pumped up but clearly not.

I got to the RS friendly and that was quiet from the crowd in exactly the way you''d expect, only 14,000 and many of them obviously not regulars.  It''s scary to think that back in the 90s that would often have been our crowd for league matches.

Anyway I''m off to Hull on Saturday and let''s hope we get things going there !

And that those 14000 in''90s FCR would completely drown out the current 26000 in CRL(ibrary)

It''s inevitable I guess that the sanitised, family friendly entertainment experience that football has become has drawn the sting of ''ultra'' like support. I was never a hooligan, but going to football at times seemed (and at times was) dangerous, and that added ''edge'' had a positive galvanising expression

Parma always had a fans representative with a mic connected to a tannoy system.

That would be no good for us - Our PA is the worst ever. In fact I don''t think it was even working in the Barclay Upper.

It''s pants.

Sort it out.

Sure did Indy, not so sure they would have said it to him one to one though

[quote user="spencer 1970"]one of the main reasons away games are better and an important "pro" in me jacking my season ticket in years ago, (that and a 5-6 hour round trip).

Its a shame these quiet folk are now well ahead of lots of loud away fans because of this obviously not-thought-out-properly away points system.

sssshhhhhh![/quote]

Let''s hope we''re loud and proud at ''Ull away on saturday!