Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Whittaker in Team Of The Weel

And he might get dropped next Saturday :( I hope not. He looked great and I love watching a defender not afraid to get up there and give it a go. He has some skills.

Seriously cannot see him getting dropped. Scored a goal and looked solid. Our best run last season coincided with his presence. I''m sure that RB is his if he keeps playing to his ability. I think that''s why we have Bassong sharing captain duties with Russ - because Russ won''t play at RB if Whittaker is fit and not doing anything silly.

I would like to see Olsson at LB too - hopefully he can do well there and not give me as many concerns as Garrido when facing a tricky/fast/confident winger or even RB like Coleman. Saying that, Redmond learning to track back would help him too. Pilks is quite disciplined in that sense. Wonder if he gets in ahead of Redmond now...

I agree whittaker was great when he played last season, the away match at swansea stands out in particular.

Think he should be looking to make the rb position his own this season if he can stay fit.

Also agree the quicker olson is fully fit and slotted in at lb the better.

Yet various people in the ''Hull team'' thread would drop him should Bassong Return.

But then again, people would also drop Redmond

Our best 2 players from Saturday

Crazy talk

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Bassong will no doubt be in for him. Will hughton dare play an attacking full back when he could have the more conservative Martin?[/quote]

No agenda there already then Danny...

Didn''t Garth Crooks say he expected Man United to get 7-8 points from their first 3 games.If they get 8 points from 3 games then....... Moyes is quite some manager

I just don''t get this downer on Hughton/Whittaker over the right back position. Last season Whittaker won the shirt and kept it at Martin''s expense until a hip injury resulted in Martin getting back the shirt. That''s how the squad thing works. What is there to criticise if there''s no hidden agenda?

Whittaker has got into Team of the Week on attacking points scored, thanks to his Lionel Messi-esqe goal and his outrageous assist for Ricky.

But defensively, well we conceded two! Not his fault entirely. But a defender should be judged first on clean sheets and tackles etc. Then forward play. Therefore any defenders playing for Southampton, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool or Fulham should be considered first for the overall Team of the Week as they''ve done their job perfectly by not conceding!

Still hat''s off to him, he played fantastically and I''m glad he''s in there. He should definitely keep his place at Hull. Martin too deserves to keep his place at CB, but Bassong is the club captain and by far our best CB so should play.

So why do you think Whittaker''s going to be dropped then? You''d keep him in, Hughton kept him in last season, just wondering what basis you had for those comments about Hughton not daring to keep him in when he had the more conservative Martin?

If Bassong is fit he''ll replace MartinWhy on earth would we get rid of Whittaker who played out of his skin, scored a brilliant goal and set up another one !

My only concern about Whittaker is his lack of pace..... I literally know nothing about Hull''s team apart from Graham, McGregor, Davis and the two Spurs boysDo they have anything which could prove a real threat to Whittaker though?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Just to add, Bassong isn''t gonna be match fit yet, so why exposé him?[/quote]

Will only get match fit by playing matches though, expect him to get 60 - 90mins for the U21s tonight and will be assessed on that. Bury at home might be the perfect game for him to step back into the team though.

I would keep him in.

But history shows when Martin and whitts are both fit he favours cafu. Evident in the second half of the season.

Martin is your steadier option and far better defensively. Hence why I think Hughton will favour Martin when Bassong eventually returns.

Same with olsson, I reckon we are more likely to see him at home.

No dig at Hughton just the way I perceive him to think.

Fair point re Martin, Cusdp, why do you recon Olsson didn''t start on Saturday, maybe because Redmond was in?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I would keep him in. But history shows when Martin and whitts are both fit he favours cafu. Evident in the second half of the season. Martin is your steadier option and far better defensively. Hence why I think Hughton will favour Martin when Bassong eventually returns. Same with olsson, I reckon we are more likely to see him at home. No dig at Hughton just the way I perceive him to think.[/quote]

That''s not true though is it? Whittaker had the shirt when they were both fit with Martin on the bench. Martin only got it back when Whittaker had a hip injury. So are you saying that Martin''s subsequent performances merited him being dropped?

When Whittaker made his debut v stoke, Martin was injured. The same for the following games v reading ,

Man united and everton.

He returned to the bench against southampton and Sunderland. When Whittaker scored against Swansea, Martin was centre half.

In the next game against Wigan, Martin went to the bench as Turner returned. Whittaker rightly keeping the shirt after that Swansea performance. Whittaker was at this stage, ahead of Martin. Rightly so. Also against Wigan.

Whittaker then got injured and Martin played against chelsea, scored 2 v man city , 1 at west ham.

Newcastle, Liverpool and spurs saw Martin play and Whittaker return to the bench against bale hotspur.

Qpr Fulham Everton man united Southampton Sunderland Wigan and Swansea saw Martin picked ahead of Whittaker before he returned against arsenal in place of Garrido.

That lasted one game as Whittaker got injured and Garrido returned.

In the following game v stoke Whittaker returned for Garrido. Martin still a regular.

In one of the biggest games of the season Whittaker was demoted to the bench against villa and Martin played. Due to losing against villa, WBA was massive. Martin again getting favoured before Bassong was ruled out against citeh and whitts returned.

Both players have taken advantage of the others injuries. But when both rarely fit at the same time Hughton has preferred Cafu, who has almost every time been picked ahead of Whittaker.

Cafu was the captain on Saturday. Can you see Hughton omitting him from the starting line up?

So to quote you saying "that''s not true though is it" I hope it''s cleared it up for you.

So what did Martin do to lose the shirt. When Whittikar had the shirt and Martin was fit Martin was on the bench. Even you said so. If you think Martin should have been dropped for Whittaker after that then say so.