Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Past City Strikers (video) - rare Ron Davies footage

with all the talk about stretchers it''s worth noting where the stretcher was left in the early 60''s - 0.55 secs and 2.03 secs

how stewards in the 70''s wore white butchers coats (never done up)

and coppers had ginger beards (7.40)

the latter footage also shows the ''no mans land'' between the City and the Arsenal fans

Too younge to remember ;-) oh how I miss the terraced Barclay. Superb find.

Thanks for that City 1st - brought back a few memories!!

Tommy Bryceland, Phil Boyer, etc, not to mention the sight of Bill Punton''s bald head terrorising defenders!

The early stuff was filmed from the River End however I''m sure I remember watching black and white games on Match of the Week with the camera(s) in the South Stand.Anyone any idea of when the cameras moved into the South Stand ?

Tommy Bryceland''s turn and pass to Davies at 3.15. Vision and touch combined to perfection. You won''t see better in any league or in any decade.When the little man was on form he was untouchable.

similar to Lansbury''s through ball to Holt against the binners

Working in Diss the man who came round selling sandwiches mentioned he used to play for Norwich & Newcastle. Until I checked, I thought he was kidding - but yes, Ollie Burton was indeed an ex-player. Really nice chap too.

Looking at that old footage, it makes you appreciate how technically advanced the game is now. I mean, the lack of marking and closing down etc - whoever did the coaching back then?

Mrs Mustard could probably score 40+ goals a season if we gave her that much space!

until she attempted to run in those boots and kick the ball

ps catering business - selling sandwiches

[quote user="ricardo"]Tommy Bryceland''s turn and pass to Davies at 3.15. Vision and touch combined to perfection. You won''t see better in any league or in any decade.

When the little man was on form he was untouchable.
[/quote]

Great to see that and he was my first hero. But seeing Mal Lucas hit the bar reminded me that he was another early hero of mine, albeit a much more unsung one.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Tommy Bryceland''s turn and pass to Davies at 3.15. Vision and touch combined to perfection. You won''t see better in any league or in any decade.When the little man was on form he was untouchable.[/quote]

Great to see that and he was my first hero. But seeing Mal Lucas hit the bar reminded me that he was another early hero of mine, albeit a much more unsung one.

[/quote]

Just got round to seeing this. Bryceland was indeed a little genius on his day. What used to be called in Scotland a tanner ballplayer. And Ollie Burton, interviewed there, was an excellent player.

The thing that stood out in that was the closeness of the crowd to the pitch and the fantastic atmospheres generated by having the crowd so close to the pitch - all the way round.    Intimidating for away teams and great for us to be so close to the action. 

The sanitised  world we live in now is at the expense of more basic experience - maybe we should start a campaign for real football - it worked for CAMRA, after all......................unless you preferred Watney''s Red Barrel, of course [:S]