Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Is it wrong that I WANT Greeno and Damo to leave?

Ok, hear me out on this one.  Both are excellent players and I wouldn''t be disappointed if both were here at the beginning of the season.  However, I think it would be better for the club, if they left.  Here''s why; We would receive a reasonable transfer fee for both.  Probably not as much as we want but we would get at least £5M for the pair.  (Btw, I''m saying there''ll go to the same club, but that would be roughly the combined transfer fee).  Now with Doomcaster coming out and saying that Nige gets 100% of transfer fees and wages of players leaving, this could be put to fantastic effect.

In the lower divisions, your money goes a long way.  Some clubs are in financial difficulty.  Some clubs only survive because they have an excellent youth acadamy and can sell their bright stars.  If we received £5M in transfer funds (+ whatever Nige will have to spend in the summer anyway) we could be buy several quality 1st Div players.  Look at Ifill; a great player.  Strong, pacey winger who could cut it in the Prem for 800K!!  Bargain.  There are plenty of Ifill''s out there too.

I think it''s fair to say that some Prem clubs are very scared of taking a gamble on lower league players.  Look at Deano.  He''s been banging goals in in the 1st Div for years and only we took a gamble on him.  Clubs are frightened they will get a Zamora.  Great in lower leagues, can''t handle the Prem.  Therefore, it is easier to pick up 1st Div players if you have the cold, hard cash.  I''m not saying we''ll go out and get Jagielka, Gabbidon, Sidwell, Tonge etc.  However, we''d stand a much better chance if we had the cash.  Why not try?  Cardiff are skint and a mil would probably force them to accept a bid for Gabbidon.  If a Prem club comes in and takes him off us then fair play, we can''t complain about that.  However, as we saw with Deano, there is no guarantees that a club will.

I''m not saying we put Green and Damo on the transfer list and actively look to sell them.  But there is no doubt that our squad needs bolstering after this summer.  More players will leave, make no mistake about that.  Nige says that all the players that will leave have already gone.  That''s rubbish. Helveg won''t stay, WLY is obviously going and the Doc has fallen out of favour.  We need to sign 6/7 players this summer, just to make up for the one''s we''ve lost.  If we''re going to move on as a club, we need to buy quality and for that, you need the cash

I agree totally DD, especially regarding Green. I''m very much of the theory that in the Lower league''s you basically need a big keeper, a big Central defender, and a Big Striker. In us having Green, I feel the resources would be better used elsewhere, I''m sure Worthy bought the 2 keepers'' last year preparing for Greeno''s departure.

As for Francis, His heart doesn''t appear to be in it, and a move to Charlton would be good for all concerned. As you pointed out DD, 5 million seems the lowest combined fee we would receive, and If we could invest that into the Defensive areas of the team, we would be very strong for next season. It must also be remembered that Francis wasn''t a permanent started in the Championship season

No it isn''t wrong because we have adequate cover for Green and as far as I am concerned Francis looked completely disinterested over the last 2 months of the season.  The biggest problem we have is that we never seem to get a decent transfer fee for any of our players.  At times we appear like a charity and just give players away, or even worse pay vast amounts to mutually cancel their contracts.  Mulryne should have at least warranted a fee and who knows what we will accept for McVeigh, Edworthy, and Crow.

On the other hand we are often a soft touch for other clubs to offload their players such as Doherty and Jonson. 

I agree the money could be invested around the squad.
I think francis upsets the team balance and
I just think green deserves to be a premier keeper
and in the england setup and he needs to move on to do that.

To a certain degree i would support what you are suggesting but i would prefer to keep the two as long as there heart is in it, and are performing to the best of there known ability . But if worthy has to shuffle the pack yes they are two who could be used to generate the funds to get the right replacements .One name that hasnt been mentioned and would cause a few raised passions is acertain midfielder who is currently yet to pen to paper at the moment is Tommy Miller at our friends down the road .What revenge that would be as there would be no fee to pay as in the Marshall saga .I must admit he has always impressed me when ever i have seen him play (god it hurts me to say this, wash my mouth out ).Spoke a certain towny supporter about this morning, as if it was all ready on the cards and he was gutted .Also i would like to see some one in the ilk of Jagielka come in but i fear he is join to the hip with our friend colin Warnock so it would take an extremely big fee to get him .Only time will tell heres looking forward to next season OTBC

Any monies made on the sale of City players should be given to Robert Chase, God bless ''im. He done great deeds for the club while he was on the board.

yep, also agree with DD. i think most teams prove you do not need an england gk to go up, and in the end, didn''t even keep us in the prem, so having ward in goal with an extra £4-5m isn''t bad at all. spending that along with the sale of mcveigh, helveg, francis and possibly others, we could really repair the team. i do not mind if they, i actually want francis to go, but as long as we get what they are worth or near abouts.

We will get nothing for Edworthy and Crow to answer Silver Fox''s question, they are out of contract so no transfer fee.

I think it is now fairly obvious that Greeno is on the move judging by his comments, if they have been reported correctly (obviously he doesn''s keep his mum in the picture )

At least Doomcaster has stated publicly that all transfer fees received will go straight to Worthington to spend elsewhere and there is no doubt that we need to sign a right back + cover; centreback (+ cover?); right midfield and central midfield (2?) - which I guess is the 6 or 7 that DD came up with

I do agree DD. Look at Everton last year. Rooney was their best player by far but they got a substantial fee for him which has been invested in two or three good quality players, none of who are Rooney quality but as a whole they make a bigger impact on the team.

Also i think Greeno has given his all for the club and if he has a better offer which will further his career then NCFC shouldnt stand in his way. I can still see him ending up at Arsenal!

I would hope we receive in excess of £3 million for him tho (and hopefully nearer £5 million)

ARE YOU MAD. green and francis got us promoted with huckeby. if we dont keep these 2 we will not come straight back up and we will stay in the fizzy pop league. if we get rid of these 2 this will be our team - including the departure of ashton - ward (average championship goalkeeper), helveg (good champ), flemming n shackwell (AVERAGE), huks just legend and class, safri good with holt (disgrace to the team), With jonson who will walk through the championsip, whilst we would have a good front line - svensson and mckenxie

[quote]Ok, hear me out on this one. Both are excellent players and I wouldn''t be disappointed if both were here at the beginning of the season. However, I think it would be better for the club, if they lef...[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more DD. I think the time is right to redistribute our assets.

As long as we can 

1. Keep Huckerby, Ashton, McKenzie, Drury, Shackell, Safri and Gallacher - already the basis of an excellent team. OK Gallacher may be an unknown quantity but he has got Scotland caps so he must have shown something somewhere and he''s only 26, still relatively young for a goalie.

2. Nurture young talent like Jarvis, Brennan, Ward and Henderson - 2005/6 could be the year that they blossom.

3. Keep the likes of Svensson (proven goal scorer) Jonson (I think he could still be good) and maybe even Charlton, Fleming and Holt for cover.

4. Bring in another 5 or 6 players from the Green/Francis transfer money, coupled with the wages savings from Bentley and Helveg, both of whom would have been relatively highly paid I suspect.

then I think we''ll have a squad that is capable of winning the Championship.

Top priorities must be a quality right back, an organising and motivating centre back, a defensive midfielder who can tackle and an attacking midfielder who can score 10 goals.

Simple

ARE YOU MAD. green and francis got us promoted with huckeby. if we dont keep these 2 we will not come straight back up and we will stay in the fizzy pop league. if we get rid of these 2 this will be our team - including the departure of ashton - ward (average championship goalkeeper), helveg (good champ), flemming n shackwell (AVERAGE), huks just legend and class, safri good with holt (disgrace to the team), With jonson who will walk through the championsip, whilst we would have a good front line - svensson and mckenxie

[quote]ARE YOU MAD. green and francis got us promoted with huckeby. if we dont keep these 2 we will not come straight back up and we will stay in the fizzy pop league. if we get rid of these 2 this will be o...[/quote]

I''m not mad at all Kit.  2 seasons ago a good 1st Division squad got us up.  Now, it looks like that squad will be cut by about a third.  As Palace found this year, you can''t have one player carrying an entire team. You need quality throughout.  The money we get from Green and Francis leaving could buy that quality

I think you''re spot on with this one DD.

My only concern is that I suspect we will end up with substantially less for the pair than a lot of people are expecting. After all keepers traditionally command rather low fees and I''m dont think that this season has had a postive effect on Green''s value, and if anyone offered more than a £1m for Francis I''d be amazed (and bite their hand off).