Sign in to follow this  
Vazzza

Jed Steer

I''m still pretty bitter about Jed choosing Lambert and Villa over us, so am glad to see he''s now sitting on a bench not even playing for their development team. Whether thats right or not, I don''t really care. I can''t see sitting on Villa''s first team bench doing much for his career. At least if he stayed with us we''d have loaned him out to get some first team football.

But has anyone heard/know when we will find out what sort of money Villa have to pay us for him? I know it won''t be astronomical amounts, but would have thought a couple of million? Is there a chance it won''t be disclosed anyway, or is that not down to the club as the fee is set a tribunal?

It goes to a tribunal - likely in November time. According to McNally we are expecting a substantial amount.

Player was offered contract, he turned it down.

We looked for a Lg1/Lg2 club to loan him out last season ... only Cambridge would take him.

Shame to see him go, but these things happen

From 4th (5th choice last season) keeper at Norwich to 2nd keeper at Villa - it''s easy to understand why he made the move.

Don''t have any hard feelings towards him, one out of him and Rudd were always going to have to leave the club, and to be honest Rudd will probably also leave within the next few seasons.

Tribunal will probably come in around £750k.

Yeah, second choice at Villa is probably better Han 5th choice at Norwich, with a chance of going out on loan to Cambridge...

A bit more I suspect bearing in mind that he joined the Norwich City Academy at the age of nine and has represented various England youth teams for over six years.

I have had suspicions about this business from day one due to the fact that he has ended up at the club of our ex-manager ......... nuff said.

I hope we get to know the compensation this time around, for once.

19/20 year old with very few first team games as 2nd choice keeper seems a bit of a risk if Guzan gets injured after 2nd Sept. Lets hope not!

I don''t understand the suspicion nor the resentment. Our former manager knows his capabilities/potential and Jed saw either an increased opportunity for first team football or an increased salary. What''s suspicious about it? Is there suspicion around all players who sign for a former manager? Lambert brought a couple of his Colchester players after he joined us.

Players move on. Would you have been as resentful if Jed had been considered crap? Do you get upset when all of our former players move on; or is it only the ones you like?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

From 4th (5th choice last season) keeper at Norwich to 2nd keeper at Villa - it''s easy to understand why he made the move.

[/quote]

I''m not so sure. At least if he stayed with us we could have loaned him out and he could have got some first team experience playing in a lower league. If Guzan stays fit and he spends a whole season not playing for the first team, but also not playing in development games/U21''s as hes commited to the first team, I don''t think that''ll do anything for his career...

[quote user="Chip20"]I don''t understand the suspicion nor the resentment. Our former manager knows his capabilities/potential and Jed saw either an increased opportunity for first team football or an increased salary. What''s suspicious about it? Is there suspicion around all players who sign for a former manager? Lambert brought a couple of his Colchester players after he joined us.

Players move on. Would you have been as resentful if Jed had been considered crap? Do you get upset when all of our former players move on; or is it only the ones you like?[/quote]

Flippin'' obvious to me.

Tapping up? Insider trading? Call it what you like but it remains suspicious to me..

Jed Steer was nailed on to being a Norwich City star of the future and the Club had spent years investing in his talent.

Yes! I am resentful that Aston Villa have cashed in on all this for what will probably be next to no outlay.

Who is the common denominator? Paul Lambert, my one-time idol.

Why have I suddenly got that shite "block quote" gibberish?

I never had it before, but after the forum shut down recently my reply "box" is smaller and now this shite.

We deserve better!

Somebody is doing a p-ss poor job IMHO.

[quote user="Vazzza"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

I''m not so sure. At least if he stayed with us we could have loaned him out and he could have got some first team experience playing in a lower league. If Guzan stays fit and he spends a whole season not playing for the first team, but also not playing in development games/U21''s as hes commited to the first team, I don''t think that''ll do anything for his career...[/quote]

Personally I would say being involved with the first team, travelling to games etc and the top level of coaching that comes with that is probably better than a loan to Cambridge. Also, I''m sure he will get some time in the development team over the season as there is always a fair amount of rotation, I expect he missed out last night as Villa have a game tomorrow.

Chances are that Guzan won''t play every game this season, keepers usually end up missing out at least one or two games a season - also Steer maybe in line to play all Villa''s league cup games or similar.

Even if it doesn''t pan out this season, in the long-term surely jumping up from 5th to 2nd is a good move? Especially when at Norwich the first choice is a 26 years old and in the England squad. Also, as a young player I can''t think of a better manager to go and work with at the moment than Lambert, he clearly isn''t afraid of giving youth a chance and Steer must feel Lambert has confidence in him if he looked to sign him.

Moving to Villa is a no-brainer in my opinion - whether Lambert is sensible to trust such an inexperienced player as 2nd choice is another matter, but he has a good track record of getting younger players to play beyond thier ability. Korey Smith being the prime example of this at Norwich.

I didn''t really take the cups into consideration. Its a good point, if Villa do have a good cup run then Jed could find himself up against some top teams.

You''ve sold it to me, it was a good move for Jed. Still bitter though  [:)]

I''m not sure he will be seen as a number 2 by Lambert yet. He may be an understudy and number 2 at the moment, but it wouldn''t surprise me to see Villa move for another GK this window, maybe a Nash style signing. If not, then fair play to Jed, obviously left a very good impression on PL during his time here!

It would be quite a gamble for Lambert to have him as 2nd choice, although I suppose being 3rd choice wouldn''t be so bad if he then gets reserve team football - is that any worse than getting loaned out to a lower league team in terms of quality of experience ?

I can understand people being annoyed about Lambert taking him, but if you''d gone back to when Lambert left and told everyone that by now Steer would be the only player to follow Lambert to Villa, most people would have been more amused than anything given the talk that he was going to poach all our best players.  And people need to remember that we have let go about 10 players this transfer window, of whom only Steer (and to an extent Holt) have been voluntary departures.

I don''t blame the boy at all. He knew that Lambert was a massive fan from his tenure here. CH seems to rate Rudd higher though and having seen a few of his performances for Preston, I can see why. Both are very promising young keepers, but that''s about it now. I know a number of Villa fans are concerned that he is their number 2, following some less than inspiring pre-season performances.I figure it will probably be another three or four years until he is ready to be a regular Premier League starter and so the likelihood of him ever being first choice here is probably pretty limited with another young keeper ahead of him in the pecking order.

This thread should not be about Jed Steer, despite the title.

I am singularly concerned with the compensation that our Club gets for investing in the youngster for so many years.

He saw fit to neglect us for pastures new, better opportunities or more money, whatever.

Good luck to him and I wish him well. However, I wish more that my own club gets suitable financial recompense for the part they played in ensuring the youngster''s bright future.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]This thread should not be about Jed Steer, despite the title.

I am singularly concerned with the compensation that our Club gets for investing in the youngster for so many years.

He saw fit to neglect us for pastures new, better opportunities or more money, whatever.

Good luck to him and I wish him well. However, I wish more that my own club gets suitable financial recompense for the part they played in ensuring the youngster''s bright future.[/quote]

As if McNally would see it otherwise