Sign in to follow this  
Sly Dog

Total rubbish RE Snodgrass and Hoolahan

Hi all, didn''t see a post on this but apologies if a re-post. Thought I''d share the following rubbish from Caughtoffside / Star...

"West Brom are reportedly lining up moves for Norwich City midfield pair Robert Snodgrass and Wes Hoolahan, according to the Express and Star.

Baggies manager Steve Clarke is eager to bolster his midfield this summer with more creative players to help make his side more efficient this season, following the loss of Romelu Lukaku who has returned to parent club Chelsea. Following an influx of new faces at Carrow Road, it’s rumoured that both Hoolahan and Snodgrass are available at the right price.

Snodgrass, who has been linked with a move away already this summer, played an integral part in Norwich’s success last season, scoring the most direct freekicks in the Premier League, he was a perennial threat from set-pieces. Hoolahan also played a key role, but has fallen further down the Norwich pecking order this season."

I agree that Snodgrass is complete rubbish.
I might get shot down here, but if we were to sign Quags or similar, then selling Hoolahan at the right price probably wouldn''t be a bad idea. He''ll be a fringe player thats getting on. May be the last time to actually command a half decent fee for him, especially if he doesn''t get much game time this season. With Fer, Howson, Butterfield all natural playing there, Snodgrass, Redmond and E.Bennett more than capable, is Hoolahan really necessary, or just taking up a spot in the 25 that could be better utalised?

Now I see what you''re saying but I think Hoolahan can still do a job in the right games and right system.

But mostly I get a buzz that we still have a couple of players that have been here for the whole ride from Lg1 to 2x successful seasons in the prem. We''re down to Martin and Hoolahan now....

There seems to be plenty of errors in the piece of so few words.   While all players have their price I dont think either are players that we will want to let go willingly or cheaply.

But I am pleased other clubs are interested,  esp clubs like West Brom or better,  as it shows we have talented players that are desirable to other clubs.

I am also confident that we will still have both players come Sept.

I think its the right time to sell Hoolahan provided we have a suitable replacement. We have to be careful not to miss the boat with Hoolahan - clubs are still prepared to shell out for him and we should take advantage of this. He''s not the player he was, that much is obvious.

[quote user="Nicko"]I think its the right time to sell Hoolahan provided we have a suitable replacement. We have to be careful not to miss the boat with Hoolahan - clubs are still prepared to shell out for him and we should take advantage of this. He''s not the player he was, that much is obvious.[/quote]

Brilliant.

We did it with Holt. West Ham rumoured to have offered 6m for him last year. We turned it down. Obviously he still can do it at the top level but we should keep an eye on his valuation.

It maybe rubbish regarding these two, but I can tell you a first team regular from last season has requested a transfer. I haven''t got information as to who yet but there is some truth in a player wanting to leave!! Hopefully I can find out some more at hull on Saturday!

Snodders scored the most direct freekicks in the PL, Really?

I can remember 3 I think. One good one, one deflected off the wall and one keeper error. About 8 out of 10 hit the wall waist high.

"It maybe rubbish regarding these two, but I can tell you a first team regular from last season has requested a transfer. I haven''t got information as to who yet but there is some truth in a player wanting to leave!! Hopefully I can find out some more at hull on Saturday!"

Holt''s already gone.

[quote user="Vazzza"]I agree that Snodgrass is complete rubbish.
[/quote]

I just re-read what I wrote there! I meant the rumours about Snodgrass being rubbish, not him lol Think hes a qualtiy player and someone that improves the first 11 when playing. His service to RvW will be key this season.

And two months before holt left I also stated he was in his way... There is another player on our books who wants to leave. It seems like a lack of info but that''s because it''s all I know at the moment.

I think Hoolahan can go, for a couple of mill, I think we can reinvest that and bring someone else in, maybe a 23-24 year old from europe who is ready for the next step up? Hoolahan for where he plays he doesnt shoot enough, and only has one foot (as most footballers do to be fair!), he loses the ball under his feet to much which breaks down the play.

Regarding Snodgrass....he wont go - end off.

I read that stat too on the BBC website before the Everton game. No other player scored more than 3 goals from direct free kicks in the premier league last season. It''s amazing really.

I really hope it isn''t Snoddy that wants away. He is a vital piece of the jigsaw in my eyes.

[quote user="Greeeeen Aaaaaarmy"]And two months before holt left I also stated he was in his way... There is another player on our books who wants to leave. It seems like a lack of info but that''s because it''s all I know at the moment.[/quote]

You stated the obvious with Holt....

you are making up the rest.

you''ll go through the squad on saturday, see someone is out of the side, then stake it''s them leaving.... or wait quietly til the end of the window and if we do sell anyone say "I told you so!!!!"

Tell you what, if what Green Army says is true I doubt it would be either Hoolahan or Snodgrass. Both are obviously rated by Hughton and are getting regular games and in the case of Snodgrass must be on a fairly decent wage.

If I was pushed to name a player, I suspect it could be Pilkington. He has been linked a lot with moves away since January in our first season back in the Prem. Other than that it is just gut feeling.

I don''t see any of our starters going anywhere. CH seems to have made all the cuts he wants to already. We need everyone we have right now. But as long as there are people willing to buy into baseless speculation, there will be posts like this.

Speaking of which, I just read in The Daily Fish Wrapper that Spurs have spurned RM in favor of our 4.5 mil bid for Bale! He was spotted on a bus heading to Norfolk this morning!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]12 months too soon to move Hoolahan on.

his time will come this time next year.[/quote]
Agreed, only I''d say "at least 12 months". In pre-season he seemed to have a telepathic relationship with Gary Hooper. 
We may need him to get the best out of Hooper this year. We may not, but getting rid would be stupid. Hoolahan is a very good player who will be involved a lot this season whether we sign a second striker or not. 
I don''t understand why Norwich fans are so quick to suggest getting rid of first team players. Last season we had a very thin squad of players (that Hughton considered good enough). We actually needed more strength in depth this season, the whole point in getting another attacking mid / second striker is to give us more options and ensure that we become less reliant on Hoolahan.
What the hell would the point be in signing another and then getting rid of Hoolahan, would mean that we have no more options than we did last season and would mean that once again we are too reliant on one player.
We need two players in that position, not one. We have one. If we sign one we have two.... the number that we need. 

[quote user="chicken"]Tell you what, if what Green Army says is true I doubt it would be either Hoolahan or Snodgrass. Both are obviously rated by Hughton and are getting regular games and in the case of Snodgrass must be on a fairly decent wage.

If I was pushed to name a player, I suspect it could be Pilkington. He has been linked a lot with moves away since January in our first season back in the Prem. Other than that it is just gut feeling.[/quote]
May be on to something there. It will depend on how much he is involved, if he plays second fiddle to Redmond then he is going to want out in January to get football.... if (big if) Ireland look like having a chance of qualifying for the World Cup. 
He isn''t going to want to sit on the bench every week in the run up to a World Cup, and Ireland are still in with a big shout for qualification (joint 2nd on points in their group). On the other hand if he is getting games he isn''t going to want to move, because he won''t want to risk not getting games elsewhere.

One slightly off colour game & Hoolahan is immediately this seasons scapegoat!

Wouldn''t be surprised to see 2 or 3 leave before end of the window - could our want away player be Tettey? Looks to be 4th choice centre mid now & that won''t help is international career.

[quote user="Greeeeen Aaaaaarmy"]It maybe rubbish regarding these two, but I can tell you a first team regular from last season has requested a transfer. I haven''t got information as to who yet but there is some truth in a player wanting to leave!! Hopefully I can find out some more at hull on Saturday![/quote]

Why? Do they have char ladies with really big ears there?