Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Elliott Bennett

Was I the only person who wasnt too upset Snodgrass didnt make the line-up on Saturday? ie glad Bennett got a chance.

I think Snodgrass is a good player, dont get me wrong, but countless times last season I found it frustrating that Snodgrass'' natural desire to cut in meant that moves would break down for lack of a cross (or a deep inswinging one which is less dangerous than from the byline), or his general dwelling on the ball would allow teams time to regroup. I admire his drive and determination and defensive attributes, but what you get in terms of those positives also come with their limitations. Snodgrass had a stat last season where he is supposed to have attempted more crosses than any other player in the division. Think this is obviously influenced by him being on set-pieces as well, and I can only think those crosses were the afforementioned inswingers from deep which have less pace and are harder to convert.

I know Snoddy scored more direct free-kicks than anyone last season, but I dont actually think his set pieces are that great - far too many times the delivery is poor and fails to beat the first man. Some of the free-kicks he scored were really goalkeeping errors (Southampton). I think his set piece record comes from the fact he monopolised them last season where other teams would have multiple set-piece takers.

This has turned into a critical post about Snodgrass, which wasnt my intention, but in order to complement Bennett, what you dont get with Snodgrass has to be highlighted.

I think Bennett was great on Saturday and his performance seems to have been overshadowed by Redmonds eye-catching performance and the obvious attention on the Wolf. I thought he was strong, direct and pacey going forward, and defensively reliable as always. Thought his set-pieces were excellent as well, great corners and effective free-kicks. At no point did I feel we were missing Snodgrass, so good was Benno''s performance.

Before Hughton and Snodgrass came in, I was expecting a big season from Elliott Bennett after a first season of adjustment to the step-up to the Premier League. He ended up marginalised and didnt really perform when he did get a chance last season - hard without a good run.

He apparently attempted 11 crosses to Redmond''s (inverted) 1. I cant think (other than score) what else he could have done - didnt put a foot wrong in my humble opinion. I think he deserves to keep his place for Hull and should be considered his to lose. I dont think Snoddy should just walk back into the team. If Bennetts form drops, then yes put Snoddy back in and make Benno work to oust him, but based on Saturday, Elliott should be given the chance to compete with Snoddy (rather than be seen as his back up), because with him in the team we were solid on the flank defensively (as we are with Snoddy), allowing Whittaker to safely push on and contribute (as he did very effectively) but we are also pacey and direct - something you dont get as much with Snoddy, which for me was refreshing to see.

Well done Elliott, and I hope you are given another chance on on Saturday.

Some very good points. I can see Snoddy replacing Bennet in the line up, especially if we have a target man for him to aim at, but for this weekend we need pace on the counter attack and I think we get more of that with Redmond and Bennet both in the team.

I thought Bennett looked a yard-sharper than last season for some reason. But he played well, he offers good defensive cover too.

Not only did Snoddy score the most direct free kicks in the prem, but only 3 players anywhere in Europe scored more direct free kicks than Snodgrass last season, nobody in the prem scored a higher proportion of the free kicks they attempted, and only 2 players in Europe scored a higher percentage of their attempts. He also made more tackles than any other Norwich player last season, and

had the most assists in the team. In the whole of the premier league,

only one player - Leighton Baines - created more clear cut chances than Snodgrass. His 6 goals and 6 assists meant that he was directly involved in almost 1 in 3 of our (admittedly pitiful) total of 41 goals last season.http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/auzzo7zvxu-3lxa6zbzdkw/Show/Team-Focus-Keeping-Robert-Snodgrass-Will-Be-Norwichs-Best-Summer-SigningIf he "monopolised" the free kicks, then he probably deserved to. He''s not a traditional winger, pinging in crosses from the touchline, but I think he deserves his place in the team.

Benno certainly looked physically stronger than he did last season, maybe he''s been in the gym over the summer!

Both Beeno and Howson have acknowledged that they need to be doing more to compete in the PL and both seem to be doing so, IMO. They could both be critical players for City this season.

People were crying out (myself included) for Snoddy to be played on the left last season (for the reasons I''ve highlighted). But as we all saw, he was totally ineffective there and this doesnt seem to be a viable option.

Snoddy''s contribution is undoubted as highlighted by steakbearnaise''s post, however, does he have to play on the wing to make this contribution?

We''re all talking about this attacking midfielder we need. Worth trying Snoddy in the hole? I know it was tried pre-season last year but didnt seem to work.

Would Snoddy be ineffective in the hole like he was on the left? Or is it worth another go? He could contribute with free-kicks if he were playing in goal! Perhaps his attributes are more sutied to that central role. And before anyone starts kicking off about playing players out of position, it certainly transformed Hoolahan when he was taken from the wing and put in a more central position...

Agreed.  I thought Bennett''s performance was generally under-rated on Saturday.  Nor would I be displeased if he kept his starting spot against Hull.Redmond, undoubtedly, has excellent potential, and embarks on a great many eye-catching and mazy runs, but I''d like to see Snoddy on the left (I know he rarely plays there) with Bennett keeping his starting position on the right.

[quote user="steakbearnaise"]Not only did Snoddy score the most direct free kicks in the prem, but only 3 players anywhere in Europe scored more direct free kicks than Snodgrass last season, nobody in the prem scored a higher proportion of the free kicks they attempted, and only 2 players in Europe scored a higher percentage of their attempts. He also made more tackles than any other Norwich player last season, and

had the most assists in the team. In the whole of the premier league,

only one player - Leighton Baines - created more clear cut chances than Snodgrass. His 6 goals and 6 assists meant that he was directly involved in almost 1 in 3 of our (admittedly pitiful) total of 41 goals last season.http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/auzzo7zvxu-3lxa6zbzdkw/Show/Team-Focus-Keeping-Robert-Snodgrass-Will-Be-Norwichs-Best-Summer-SigningIf he "monopolised" the free kicks, then he probably deserved to. He''s not a traditional winger, pinging in crosses from the touchline, but I think he deserves his place in the team. [/quote]This. This. and This again.Snodgrass was our best player last season - I''m afraid he is streets ahead of e benno as an attacking threat.

I fully agree that Bennett put in a very good performance, he is a good player who is a very valuable part of the squad no doubt. However, Snodgrass is a better player the Bennett and contributes more to the team, and I actually thought we missed his industry and energy against Everton.

Whatever happens in the future, I think that Benno should be retained for the Hull game. Their defence is well known as not coping with pace, so to bring in Snoddy, only just recovered from his groin problem, could be a mistake.

I would add that against Everton we kept Baines very quiet because Benno, and Whitts were direct. Snoddy not only tends to cut inside to cross, he takes time to do so, and gives defenders the brief opportunity to regain positions, - he can actually slow down our counter attacks. (I have to say that Redmond''s preference for the right foot meant that he too cut inside, although in fairness this did lead to the second goal on one occasion.)

Now that we have pace, and we have Fer and Olsson to come, our counter-attacks will need to be swift and incisive. Wolfie et al are quick enough to get forward, so slow-paced dribbling  and crosses reaching the striker from over his shoulder will thwart the pace to some extent. Hooper likes quick balls played forward to run on to, and this is Wolie''s strength as well, and even that of Elmander, if he signs.

If I had a criticism about Benno previously, it was that although he has a very powerful shot he seemed to lack confidence to use it. I hope that if he gets a run of games this season he will repay us with some goals and cement his place in the team.

For me I think that Elliot has certainly progressed and added to his game over the summer, he seemed more confident and eager.He seemed to have a bit more bite and determination, whereas I have always thought he lacked a bit of gung ho when it was needed, and was a wee bit lightweight.

I would hope to see more rotation this year so that Benno gets more game time, had some great games towards the end of last year but was dropped straight away.

Snodgrass was extremely frustrating early last year with his reluctance to acknowledge a right foot and hitting several freekicks into the wall that he was never dropped for, would like to see Hughton drop him if he has a run of bad games, team game and all that.

Btw, TGMD, I meant to say that I wasn''t being critical of your post, which I thought was interesting, but I''ve seen a few posts recently where people have said Snoddy''s contribution is overrated and I wanted to put forward something to counter that.re him playing in the middle or on the left - the ideal of course would be for any of the three attacking players behind the striker in a 4231 to be interchangeable. I''m not quite sure we have that luxury, but I also don''t think we should be too concerned about having a "traditional" winger all the time. Sadly - I live abroad - I haven''t seen enough games recently in their entirety or live, so that you can really see what players are doing off the ball etc, to get a good opinion on whether Snodgrass could play in the middle.But if Benno develops this season, CH will have the luxury of being able to choose between different tactical options depending on the opposition, our own form, who is playing up front/elsewhere across the attacking line and, of course, injuries, plus an opportunity to make a substitution to exploit particular weaknesses or change the game. That would be fantastic, and I hope would drive both players even harder to deliver as much as they can. But I still think Snodgrass would be a more likely starter for now unless and until his own form drops or we see that he doesn''t, for some reason, play well in combination with the new attacking players we''ve got this season.

I think the type of players we have signed over the past few months hint at EB getting more game time........faster players that will look to break quickly will need faster service.

EB will however need to be more purposeful than last season, to keep Snodgrass out of the team for any period of time.

If Martin is going to be considered a centre-back this season and back-up right back, I wonder how realistic EB is as a rightback in Hughton''s thoughts? What has always struck me about EB is how (despite being able to play as a traditional winger, pace and power) he is not wanting at all in defence (in the way PIlks is tbh). He''s not exclusively an attacking player. He''s never shirked from his defensive responsibilities, and performs them very well. Lacking the trickery and dribbling ability a Redmond or a Pilks has, I wonder how plausible an option he is at rightback for Hughton? I know many posters think he would be excellent here.

Whittaker was very good agains Everton, but his biggest weakness seems to be pace, got skinned a few times last season and notably against England, though to be fair that was Walcott. Just think Bennett would handle a pacey winger better if up against a team like Arsenal that can play pace on the wings. In that situation, I wonder how realisitic an option EB is for Hughton, or if Whittaker were injured and Martin playing CB.

Bennett overlapping with Snodgrass could be very effective both offensively and defensively

Snodgrass'' weaknesses can be summed up in one word - ''pace''.

There are games when pace will be needed and there are games when a stronger overall game will be more beneficial.

With the squad now much stronger throughout I can see many changes to starting line ups this season.

And I think the team that starts on Saturday will be a massive surprise to many.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Bennett overlapping with Snodgrass could be very effective both offensively and defensively[/quote]

I actually really like the sound of that. Think it could realy hurt teams. Both Snoddy and EB are sound enough defenders, so if EB did decide to maraud up the pitch, Snoddy could easily fill in, especially with the talented Mr.Martin to help him out.

I really like both players, and wish there was a way of fitting them both into a midfield that wouldn''t hamper them. But ultimately, if I had to pick 1 of the 2, it would be Snoddy, purely for his overall contribution to the stats that matter, goals and assists.

Would someone please tell me where this stat about Snodgrass''s free kicks can be found? Frankly I find it hard to believe.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Snodgrass'' weaknesses can be summed up in one word - ''pace''.  [/quote]

As well as "holds on to the ball too long" or similarly "takes too many touches".

Not all the time, but he does have a habit of doing that.

I noticed towards the end of last season Snodgrass was really trying to add a right foot cross to his game. he attempted it multiple times, and to be honest the quality of the delivery wasnt half bad with his weaker foot. If he can become less one-footed as the signs seem to suggest he is trying to be, then he might well reduce a lot of his limitations this season and be able to cross earlier when it is on. Looking forward to seeing if this particular point of development in his game continues

I don''t see it, Bennett is not half the player of Snodders, yes he has a bit of pace, but for Evertons second goal he didn''t defend very well and allowed the player to pass and run without tracking or closing the ball down allowing Everton inot the bx for the Jelavic shot.

I''m not being critical of Bennett as for him he did have a good game, but he''s not the game changes that Snodders is.

If Snodders is fit, then it''s a no brainer for me, he starts and Bennett is on the bench. Snodders is a game changer,where as Bennett is just an average winger.