Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

norwich agree deal for Johan Elmander

"Nicko"

Good business. Happy it''s a loan and we haven''t shelled out a wad of cash for a veteran. Good player, happy.

Not a big fan of the loan system normally but I think it works well in this case.

Welcome aboard Johan.

Brilliant bit of business by McNasty and CH, and all concerned. I''m frankly quite worried by anyone who doesn''t think so. I can see a Johnson, Fer, Elmander, and RvW line up the middle of the park. Pilks/ Redders, Snodders/ Benno out wide. Bob''s yer cliche.

Could be that as with bringing in Kamara we will temporarily ''patch up'' where needed and wait till we have the funds to bring in quality such as RVW.A good move.

I wasn''t citicising the move. My 32 yr old comment was directed towards any who used age as a reason to let Holt go but are celebrating the signing of The Elm.

My other part of the comment about can he contribute in the Prem was a legit query. I''m very happy to see respondents sincr then say that he does possess several of the highly skilled but underrated talents that Holt brought to the game.

Very pleased. I hope we use him appropriately.

Guess we will see what this lad has left to offer. Relieved it''s only a loan as this should mean money will hopefully still be available for further transfers before the September deadline. 

[quote user="Herman "]"Nicko"

Good business. Happy it''s a loan and we haven''t shelled out a wad of cash for a veteran. Good player, happy.

Not a big fan of the loan system normally but I think it works well in this case.

Welcome aboard Johan.[/quote]
Agree Herman. Loan makes sense on this occasion. It also makes more sense of reports that Galatasaray would be paying part of his wages.
Another piece of the jigsaw in place.
COYY 

Clever business, really. With the money involved in the Prem, getting him on loan really is a no-brainer.

He is also out of contract in the summer, so if he does impress and shows he has still "got it" at this level then we can grab him on a freebie at the end of the season. 
I feel a bit sorry for Becchio though because I think he''s a decent striker, hasn''t been given enough of a chance, and will likely be regretting coming here in the first place.

If Quagliarella is that good then why are West Ham, Sunderland, and Norwich the only teams interested? 
He will flop at West Ham, silly move. At least we try and get the ball down and play, hope he enjoys hoof ball. 

Wonder how much truth there was in Warnock''s claims that Hughton never wanted Becchio here and that it was just an easy way of getting rid of Morison.

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"]If Quagliarella is that good then why are West Ham, Sunderland, and Norwich the only teams interested? 
He will flop at West Ham, silly move. At least we try and get the ball down and play, hope he enjoys hoof ball. 
[/quote]
Wrong thread sorry. 

Really happy with this signing, gives us options and experience without committing lots of money, which in turn gives us more options either now or January (or a loanee on fairly big wages at any point).My only question would be re: how he will be deployed - surely as the spearhead for attacks?  He''s hardly going to feed off flick ons when it''s only him who will be providing the flick ons...

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Really happy with this signing, gives us options and experience without committing lots of money, which in turn gives us more options either now or January (or a loanee on fairly big wages at any point).My only question would be re: how he will be deployed - surely as the spearhead for attacks?  He''s hardly going to feed off flick ons when it''s only him who will be providing the flick ons...[/quote]
Been played as a number 9 for Galatasaray but was a second striker under Michael Laudrup at Brondby. I''d be interested to know how he played in Bolton''s system because I seem to remember them playing 4-5-1, and he Kevin Davies played every week, as did Kevin Nolan as an attacking midfielder.
Be interesting to know how that worked at Bolton when both Elmander and Davies were on the pitch at the same time. 

[quote user="Herman "]"Nicko"

Welcome aboard Johan.[/quote]The loan system is fine when you are talking a couple of players, it only fails when you see the loan system as a way of overhauling a squad on the cheap.... we are all scarred by Roeder and then Gunn, but the loan system has worked fine for us on many occasions. 
Kyle Naughton especially, then Javier Garrido last year, not to mention Huckerby & Crouch. 

[quote user="Kidderminster Exile"]1 32 year old out for 2m, 1 32 year old in without payment, sounds a good deal to me[/quote]

The 2nd 32 year old having played at the highest level and still playing internationally. Boom!:) If he can have one quarter of the impact big Holty did for us then he''ll be awesome

[quote user="York Canary"]

[quote user="Kidderminster Exile"]1 32 year old out for 2m, 1 32 year old in without payment, sounds a good deal to me[/quote]

The 2nd 32 year old having played at the highest level and still playing internationally. Boom!:) If he can have one quarter of the impact big Holty did for us then he''ll be awesome

[/quote]

Bar last season obviously

Bit underwhelmed tbh but at least only a loan.

Can people please stop saying he is a good goalscorer! He has a similar goals to game ratio as Pilks or Snodgrass!

Evesham Canary wrote - "Bit underwhelmed tbh but at least only a loan.

Can people please stop saying he is a good goalscorer! He has a similar goals to game ratio as Pilks or Snodgrass! "

I prefer to use minutes per goal over total career;

Minutes per Goal

Gary Hooper - 134

Luciano Becchio - 141

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel - 184

Grant Holt - 194

Fabio Quagliarella - 210

Ola Toivonen - 210

Johan Elmander - 290

Leroy Fer - 412

Nathan Redmond - 484

Anthony Pilkington - 490

Robert Snodgrass - 510

Wesley Hoolahan - 526

which doesn''t take into account the number of penalties they have takenor any running off the ball etc

still for those with a limited grasp of the game numbers are a great help

City 1st wrote - "which doesn''t take into account the number of penalties they have taken

or any running off the ball etc

still for those with a limited grasp of the game numbers are a great help"

Perhaps Hughton has a "limited grasp of the game" as well because if you look at the minutes per assist table in conjunction with the minutes per goal table it seems quite obvious why Toivonen was our first choice to replace Wes;

Minutes per Assist

Robert Snodgrass - 397

Nathan Redmond - 415

Gary Hooper - 418

Ola Toivonen - 420

Wesley Hoolahan - 439

Grant Holt - 559

Luciano Becchio - 565

Johan Elmander - 608

Leroy Fer - 633

Fabio Quagliarella - 658

Anthony Pilkington - 767

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel - 1845

"if you look at the minutes per assist"

oh dear, more meaningless drivelI suppose Whittaker will be credited with an ''assist'' for RVW''s goal which the saddos will then use as a means of judging him as a player rather than actually evaluating how he played on the days and prior to that.How did football drag in all these witless window lickers ?

Also fails to take into account that a lot of our current players figures are against lower league opposition, the vast majority of Elmanders is against the best.

This may have already been mentioned, but despite joining on a 1-year loan it appears his contract with Galatasaray expires next summer anyway?

Presumably it has been arranged this way to split the salary?

That may be right, IS - IMO this deal suits all parties right down to the ground, seems to have been a bit of a no brainier; from our side, we come out of it with a guy with tonnes of experience at the top level at minimal cost.

I find it odd how some insist on always being negative, but that is just the way of things.

People on here seem to assume that he will be a target man like Holt, when that is not his game. He plays as a second striker or as an ACM in a similar way to Toivonen, but to facilitate the striker ahead of him in a creative way, as well as scoring goals himself. Very clever signing, IMO.