Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

norwich agree deal for Johan Elmander

Does anybody else think that this could lead to Toivonen his Swedish team mate joining as well. Unused sub tonight for PSV didn''t even get on when subbing two midfielders. Just a theory.Becchio leaves. Hooper,RVW,Elmander and Toivonen sounds good .

Toivonen haven''t signed new deal so he would like to move somewhere in this window, but I personaly think it sadly wont be Norwich. Also PSV already signed Maher to replace him behind the striker.

Anyway I welcome Elmander in to the squad! Smart player and true fighter!

I''m glad the likely Elmander signing is generally meeting approval - it seems to make really good sense to me. It is odd how long the Quag thing has been spun out (60-odd pages worth) whereas what turns out to be the ''real'' signing has made far less of a splash!

Canary Cop, i was thinking much the same in an optimistic kind of way. I''m a bit disappointed Becchio hasn''t had much of a chance, but if we could upgrade him to Toivonen or Quag then i''d be delighted.

He didn''t get on the pitch in a topsy turvy game on saturday that could have done with an extra striker being brought on at the end and so what hope does he have when Johan and Gary turn up?

much the same as Howson who took some while to ''get up to speed'' so to speakif Becchio was not wanted I think he would have gone by nowthe club has a pattern of bringing in players for the longer term rather than always as an immediate first choice

I can confirm that I met 2 Swedish Journalists at "The Fat Cat & Canary" pub this evening taking pictures of the NCFC memorabilia room. They confirmed that they were in Norwich because Johan was in Norwich.

Very decent pedigree, will have no problem settling and so should hit the ground running. Looks a good signing to me.

A strike force of Holt, Morison, Jackson, Martin has now become Wolf, Hooper, Elmander, Becchio.

Full marks to CR. They drew the line on Toivonen, who was messing us about, and found a player who could have a lot of influence - he is experienced at the top level, still quick and can play anywhere from AM to supporting striker. Reports suggest that he is well-liked by fans, club and other players.

And full marks to the scouting team, who seem to have been scouting (Western) Europe looking for good bargains - players with clubs who need to sell, players down the pecking order and with few months left on contracts.

The signing seems to make sense, as several have suggested, -  commitment, experience, skill, a useful scorer and supplier of chances. In the twilight of his career, perhaps, but very reasonably priced. I think that he could become a focal point of attacks when he plays. Above all he will be a spur to Wes and to the other strikers. I am hoping good things of him.

Funny about the Swedish journalists in the fat cat. There is a big story in Expressen se on the internet today and it is all about Elmander to Norwich and quoting Norwich supporters in the Fat cat

"Yea brilliant signing! Bolton record: 1 goal every 5 games! Get your heads tested"

If you''d bothered to do any research, you''d have worked out that at Bolton he was often played not as a striker but as a winger by a manager he didn''t much gel with.

Shades of Holt at Forest under Calderwood, where Holt managed just 1 goal in every 5 games.

Stats can be misleading if you take them all at face value.

I''m not really pleased nor bothered about this signing, as we need cover up top and to be fair we have spent over 14 million on the two strikers.

But if Elmander comes which looks likely he will be a bench impact player at best and cover for the season as I don''t think Hughton likes Becchio too much.

It''s good to have 4 strikers, so good to see strength in depth.

[quote user="canarycop"]Does anybody else think that this could lead to Toivonen his Swedish team mate joining as well. Unused sub tonight for PSV didn''t even get on when subbing two midfielders. Just a theory.Becchio leaves. Hooper,RVW,Elmander and Toivonen sounds good .[/quote]

Interesting thought but why would Toivonen go to the same club as the man keeping him out of the national team? Anywhere but surely?

The Expressen article mentions a price of 5 million Swedish kronor (about half a million quid, I think), with the headline describing this as a "vrakpris" (bargain price, cutprice deal).

The article also mentions a foot injury troubled him the previous season. I don''t know whether this is now in the past.

Yes ofcourse it is Wiz.

Who needs those silly Spurs reserve team teenagers eh? Who is this Elmo n der anyway?

Rubbish isn''t it?

How many games had kane played in the top flight in holland and france, world cup, euros, champions league, europa league and most importantly the premier league before coming here.

I am sure that you''re right Joanna.  I was principally relying on other posters who referred to Elmander playing an attacking midfield role.   A dangerous thing to do I know.

I do note though that against the Faroes in June it was Toivonen and Ibramhimovic

"I was principally relying on other posters who referred to Elmander playing an attacking midfield role."

That''s because he did play attacking midfield for Brøndby, but that was 2004-2006. And many times as a winger for Bolton.

But primarily as a striker elsewhere.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Give up wiz and retire. No one is falling for your crap anymore.[/quote]

Says the man who''s turned talking poo into a living on here!

We''ve just let go our 32 year old Capt and legend and replaced him with a 32 year old freeloader after a last paycheck.........

[quote user="Eadie4England"]How many games had kane played in the top flight in holland and france, world cup, euros, champions league, europa league and most importantly the premier league before coming here.[/quote]

I meant in terms of impact for City, clear?

And yet another "controversial" statement that has absolutely no bearing on the subject matter. What are you going to come up with next? As I said, give up old man, your attention-seeking posts are tired and boring.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Give up wiz and retire. No one is falling for your crap anymore.[/quote]

Says the man who''s turned talking poo into a living on here!

We''ve just let go our 32 year old Capt and legend and replaced him with a 32 year old freeloader after a last paycheck.........

[/quote]

You are just embarrassing yourself.

1) He will be playing for a place in the World Cup not a pay cheque.

2) Even if you subscribe to the notion that he is a straight Holt replacement, Holt clearly (and in my view very regrettably) wanted to go, Elmander wants to be here and the combined deals leave us £2m better off. What is there not to like?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]And yet another "controversial" statement that has absolutely no bearing on the subject matter. What are you going to come up with next? As I said, give up old man, your attention-seeking posts are tired and boring.[/quote]

Pot kettle black.................and I give it two months before you''re whinging about him with the rest on here.[:|]