Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

norwich agree deal for Johan Elmander

You make an excellent point TNB. Matty was a great favourite of mine and the Salamander will be an excellent signing for us and most importantly improving the squad

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

theres been enough speculation on this over the last couple of days to have surely warranted some mention on the sports pages of Archant?, or a question to the manager yesterday?

but no,once again our usual *cough* finger on the pulse sports reporters leave it to the other party in a transaction for us to get any information through?

[/quote]

Hughton was asked at the pre-match press conference on Friday and gave a non-commital answer. If you want to maintain a good realtionship with the manager so you can get good comments, it''s best not to ask them the same question again and again, especially after he has answered it less than 24 hours beforehand.

Norwich have made it pretty clear that they won''t talk about transfers until they are done, and whilst this hasn''t always been the case I think everyone realises that asking Hughton isn''t going to get a ''yes'' or ''no''.

Hughton''s Post Match Interview:"We''ve got to provide him (Wolf), Gary, Luciano and... ermmm.... whoever is playing upfront"Sounds to me like we are definitely bringing someone else in.Hughton nearly let it slip !

He would be a fantastic signing.

He''s proven he can perform is this league, and at a very high standard (he made my Fantsy Football Team a few seasons back, there''s no higher honour!!), and he''s still only 32.

He''s clearly still quality as he has played regularly for a Galatasaray side who are the Turksih champions, he started against Man U in their Champions League win, and also came off the bench againsts Real Madrid in the quarter finals. Six European games in total.

An overall goal rate of 17 in 59 in two seasons, or a goal every 3.4 games.

Most importantly he looks just like Grant Holt, he could be his twin brother. I say if you can''t get Grant Holt, get somebody who looks identical.

No offense, but euhhm he looks like Grant Holt and he''s technically better than Grant... I think this would be a very sensible signing. I expect him to really weigh on defenses and link up with RVW/GAH . Happy when this goes through!

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

theres been enough speculation on this over the last couple of days to have surely warranted some mention on the sports pages of Archant?, or a question to the manager yesterday?

but no,once again our usual *cough* finger on the pulse sports reporters leave it to the other party in a transaction for us to get any information through?

[/quote]

Hughton was asked at the pre-match press conference on Friday and gave a non-commital answer. If you want to maintain a good realtionship with the manager so you can get good comments, it''s best not to ask them the same question again and again, especially after he has answered it less than 24 hours beforehand.

Norwich have made it pretty clear that they won''t talk about transfers until they are done, and whilst this hasn''t always been the case I think everyone realises that asking Hughton isn''t going to get a ''yes'' or ''no''.

[/quote]

My mate who interviewed him Friday seems to think we''re after 2 more players.

Norwich City will no longer wait for Ola Toivonen. The English club move not expensive to compatriot Johan Elmander. The Swede is Tuesday medical examination at Norwich. Thus a transition from Toivonen to that club seems definitively scrapped. Toivonen held that club to the line in the hope that there are still reports a better club.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Hughton''s Post Match Interview:

"We''ve got to provide him (Wolf), Gary, Luciano and... ermmm.... whoever is playing upfront"

Sounds to me like we are definitely bringing someone else in.

Hughton nearly let it slip !
[/quote]

Sounds like he realised we only have 3 strikers lol. "Him, Gary, Luciano and...erm....who else is there?...s*it there isn''t anyone....errrr...Morris!?"

Someone said he looks like Grant HoltDoes this back it up?    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWUyim2lsrkVoted greatest premiership goal ever by some poll or other, but quite similar to that Everton goal a couple of seasons ago.....

On his Facebook account, Michael Bailey has just said: "Fee agreed with Galatasaray for the striker; reportedly signing on tomorrow."

I can report that he wasn''t in Yellows this lunchtime.The burger was nice, as usual.[:D]

Signs Wednesday according to Swedish website Expressen. Was very accurate with the Olsson and Toivonen info. This will put to bed the Toivonen speculation, for the time being at least 

Looking likely and good news if true.

He represents the experienced head with sound knowledge of the PL that we have been lacking. Plus, he''s a nice guy and is always popular. Regardless of how much game time he''ll get, he''s clearly going to be the steady head and leader of our strike force (we are seeing this kind of thing all over the pitch: Bassong for defense; Elliot Bennett for our wingers; Howson for our Midfield; and Russell Martin with over all charge of the First-Team, as well as a leading role in the Youth set-up).

That said, it actually raises more questions regarding our forward positions.

Will we go with: Hooper, RVP, Becchio & Elmander?

Or, are we still in for either Quagliarella or Toivonen? If so, then does that mean Becchio moves on?

Will it be: Hooper, RVP, Elmander & Toivonen?

Or: Hooper, RVP, Elmander & Quag?

Either of these two are s**thot strike forces!

But, could it even be: Hooper, RVP, Elmander & a striker that we have not heard about yet?

I feel there''s still some surprises to come this transfer window.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]Looking likely and good news if true.

He represents the experienced head with sound knowledge of the PL that we have been lacking. Plus, he''s a nice guy and is always popular. Regardless of how much game time he''ll get, he''s clearly going to be the steady head and leader of our strike force (we are seeing this kind of thing all over the pitch: Bassong for defense; Elliot Bennett for our wingers; Howson for our Midfield; and Russell Martin with over all charge of the First-Team, as well as a leading role in the Youth set-up).

That said, it actually raises more questions regarding our forward positions.

Will we go with: Hooper, RVP, Becchio & Elmander?

Or, are we still in for either Quagliarella or Toivonen? If so, then does that mean Becchio moves on?

Will it be: Hooper, RVP, Elmander & Toivonen?

Or: Hooper, RVP, Elmander & Quag?

Either of these two are s**thot strike forces!

But, could it even be: Hooper, RVP, Elmander & a striker that we have not heard about yet?

I feel there''s still some surprises to come this transfer window.[/quote]

I would like to think we were still after Toivonen, but I doubt we are. If we are not then potentially this makes some more money available, since we bid nearly £5m for Toivonen, and Elmander will not cost anything like that.

http://www.ntvspor.net/haber/futbol/92565/elmander-vedaya-hazirlaniyor

http://www.ntvspor.net/video-galeri/elmander-vedaya-hazirlaniyor

I''m not sure this would put the Toivonen speculation to bed. My understanding was that that Toivonen would be playing in the CAM position? I''m not sure Elmander''s suitable for that, so I assume that area is still up for grabs.

If anything, perhaps they''ve brought Elmander on board to try and coax Toivonen in to joining. Might reinforce our ambitions to him and having another fellow countryman in the team would help his integration. I certainly hope so anyway! I think Toivonen would be an awesome buy for us.

[quote user="Crystal Canary"]I''m not sure this would put the Toivonen speculation to bed. My understanding was that that Toivonen would be playing in the CAM position? I''m not sure Elmander''s suitable for that, so I assume that area is still up for grabs.

If anything, perhaps they''ve brought Elmander on board to try and coax Toivonen in to joining. Might reinforce our ambitions to him and having another fellow countryman in the team would help his integration. I certainly hope so anyway! I think Toivonen would be an awesome buy for us.[/quote]

I haven''t seen any indication from Hughton as to what role he mainly envisaged for Toivonen. But my suspicion has always been that at least part of the attraction was that he could play as a target man/line leader. With Elmander that gap in the squad would be filled. Toivomen can indeed play as an attacking midfielder, but not in that Hoolahan way, as a quick-footed link with the lone striker. Toivonen is much more a powerful straight-line runner from midfield.

"Toivomen can indeed play as an attacking midfielder, but not in that Hoolahan way, as a quick-footed link with the lone striker. Toivonen is much more a powerful straight-line runner from midfield".

And Elmander regularly played that very role under Laudrup at Brøndby.

If the Elmander deal is finalised I believe it will wrap up the transfer activity for the season. He was probably on the short list with all the other guys mentioned, and it was only ever going to be one name from the list.

If you ask me Elmander was the best option as Quag or Toivonen would want to be 1st choice and we''ve already filled that position excellently with Ricky closely followed by Hooper. Elmander I see as a very, very capable third choice and Becchio as back up.

Perfect business once again by the board if it goes through.

Has there been anything official yet?

I wouldn''t push him off my team plate, but he wouldn''t be my first choice either. If he comes cheap though...well, that''s hard to say no to. It''s always nice to have a proven goal scorer with PL experience as an ace up the sleeve, so to speak.

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

"Toivomen can indeed play as an attacking midfielder, but not in that Hoolahan way, as a quick-footed link with the lone striker. Toivonen is much more a powerful straight-line runner from midfield".

And Elmander regularly played that very role under Laudrup at Brøndby.

[/quote]

As a matter of interest which role of those two? The quick-footed Hoolahan link role or the powerful runner role?

Transfer activity is not wrapped up with this if/when it happens.

We still only have 7 first-team defenders and you should always have 8 (if playing with traditional defense of 4). Need 2 players fighting for each spot, esp. in defense. Bassong is already out, so we''re potentially only one more injury away from having a bit of a defensive injury crisis.

I''m certain an extra defender is in the pipeline. No idea who, though.