Sign in to follow this  
BigManInTheBarclay

Becchio to Middlesbrough?

Orrr, are we still after another big money AM/SS and Elmander has been loaned in to cover for the departure of Becchio?

Do you really go from willing to spend 6-7 Million on Quagliarella to loaning Elmander and then not spend the money elsewhere? I know its possible but i think if this is true we will be seeing another AM.

If this is true then it would be best for him to go. Doesn''t look like he is going feature in CH plans and another big signing to replace him would be fantastic. Are we really able to bring another big money striker or AM, amazing if it happens and well done to CH and the all the exec team/board.

Poor old Becchio, was doing so well at Leeds and made the step up to join his mates, hard to put my finger on what went wrong, it''s not as if there was massive competition for him up front last season but when he did get a chance to play, albeit rarely, he never quite did enough. Will always remember his contribution against West Brom though.

We do need 4 strikers in the squad so sell only if we are certain of signing a replacement. Then it''s a good deal

Can we call Becchio 4th Striker? Yet to score for City in a competative game!

For me the Elmander transfer is a good one as it''s on a years loan. Also heard on the radio last night that Toivonen is not yet dead in the water according to one their clubs coaches, with Elmander being a fellow Swede could this maybe just tip him to say yes? Who knows, but would be nice to see Becchio out and replaced by Toivonen.

ZLF wrote - "We do need 4 strikers in the squad so sell only if we are certain of signing a replacement. Then it''s a good deal"

Do we though? If CH insists on playing just one up front then 3 is enough. If LB goes to Middlesborough and we get someone in the mould of Toivonen I will be more than happy.

We do still want quag.

I bumped that thread a week or so ago, because of Becchio''s possible outgoing. Boro''s movement will be based on who we get in.

At the time they were waiting for us to wrap the quag deal up. But like I say, now we have elmander they may well do it still.

I can''t understand people saying you can make do with 3 strikers.  Hooper is currently out injured and Becchio had to come off a game recently with injury which shows how easily you can have two players out.  It would be madness to start a Prem game with no striker on the bench.  4 is the minimum.

So it depends really whether we have someone else lined up.

Becchio is undoubtedly a good striker but didn''t do well enough for us when he got the chance to start last season - Hughton understandably preferred Kamara who was showing a real goal threat. So he''s bottom of the pecking order and £1.8m is good money for your bottom choice striker, if you can bring in a replacement.

I think we do need 4, one injury and one out of form and we have no options to go2 up front which we did several times last season

Just my view that the club may differ on

If we''re going to bring in another AM who could be pushed further forward in an emergency, then I''d be very happy to go with RVW/Hooper/Elmander, plus the AM, and Morris/Loza as 5th-choice maybe getting a few minutes from the bench later in the season. Not seen anything so far to suggest Becchio is really up to Premiership standard, looking more and more like a panic buy to appease the fans when we couldn''t get RVW in the January window.

Yes please! £200k and Steve Morison to this! That''s a £1.6m profit! Hopefully means one of quag or Toivonen will arrive. I would love Toivonen here. People need to realise he is human like the rest of us and moving abroad again isn''t the easiest decision to make.

It''s clear to me Elmander is Becchio''s replacement ....someone with height and more importantly previous high level experience. Becchio has never figured in CH''s plans and hasn''t looked the part yet, presumably neither in training. What is likely is that we still have a good proportion of the 10m euros budget there if we can prise a Toivonen from the Dutch league. Agree with previous poster on this one. Elmander therefore is possibly also a stroke of genius in attracting Toivonen. Interesting to see what happens but I''m sure if Becchio goes we will absolutely replace him.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Yes please! £200k and Steve Morison to this! That''s a £1.6m profit! Hopefully means one of quag or Toivonen will arrive. I would love Toivonen here. People need to realise he is human like the rest of us and moving abroad again isn''t the easiest decision to make.[/quote]

Surely if you''re going down that route you have to factor in the £3m paid for Morison?  Still, we got enough goals to keep us up first season for £1.4m and given all the cash that has come our way since, that is good enough.

Also, good reminder but let us also not forget that Becchio is human, has a family and is not just a toy to be cast off when we are fed up.   He has done his best and that it has not worked out is not his fault.   It may be best for all if he moves on and starts again but the glee of some posters is distasteful.

Yes Cambridge, and I''m sure he''s OK with that, having played 8 games and probably netted a good chunk of money from this club in his 6 months here!

It''s just part of being a supporter, Becchio has failed in his time here and this level is too much for him, nothing against him or his family but have no real feeling for him as we do with the likes of Holt moving on.

Cambridge Canary wrote: He has done his best and that it has not worked out is not his fault.   It may be best for all if he moves on and starts again but the glee of some posters is distasteful.

The simple fact is he is not in the managers plans. If what Neil Warnock said in his book is anything to go by, it was a transfer of convenience and Becchio was not initially on Hoot''s radar. Becchio had demanded a transfer from Leeds to make some big money and Morison wanted away from Carrow Road.

What was that.... "Becchio demanded a transfer from Leeds."

That''s the type of business football is. C''est la vie...

Google Maps says that if you take the A26 its 1,651km and it will take 15hrs 17mins but if you take the A6 its 1,642km and it will take 15 hrs and 25 mins.

Is the extra 8 mins worth it?

I wanted it to work out for Becchio but the longer it goes on the more I think moving on would be good for him and us. Good luck to him if he ends up at Middlesborough.

Had a look at the Middlesborough forum they seem to think that Ayala and Becchio might be both going there. They seem pretty certain about the Ayala one.

I would drive him there myself if the club got £1.8m for him. Hughton is obviously a very experienced manager and can recognise a PL striker when he see''s one.

Business is business, if Becchio dosn''t cut the Norwich mustard the solution is to sell and replace him. Ethics has to be taken into account, but this ''possible'' move could also benefit Becchio in certain ways too. If he leaves I can see us replacing him with Toivonen (which makes sense) and again would be top business for our club!

As for a CB i''d like to see us sign Eric Dier from Sporting Lisbon. Young English talent and former team mate of RVW valued at approximately £4.5m and if acquired our squad would be a test for anyone. Thoughts?

reports online (how valid, who knows!) claim that Tottenham and Fulham are interested in Dier.

Tottenham are seemingly interested in every single current living player, apparently.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Been talking to a Bolton fan who has described elmander as a work horse similar to holt but not as good a finisher. Probably not the man to play in the hole. I still think we will get quagliarella[/quote]

I really hope you are right, a player of his quality is just the creative spark Norwich need to get the most out of the new strikers.

To me, looks increasingly like Quagliarella will go to West Ham - but fingers crossed he and Juve can be convinced that Norwich is the best option.