Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Rumblings of discontent..

For crying out loud Nutty, get off your high horse.

People like to analyse our performances, that includes what we did well (tried to play the ball from the back, quicker breaks, full backs pushing on, pace back in the side, looked solid for the most part) and also areas where there is room for improvement (sat a little deep, ball retention wasn''t great, didn''t get the ball to Ricky anywhere near enough). It doesn''t mean there are rumblings of discontent or people are being negative, people are just discussing the game. I haven''t seen anyone completely slating our performance, or saying we were faultless, on the whole the analysis of the game has been pretty well balanced in my opinion.

You seem to have this view that everyone should think that we''re basically Barcelona, and that anyone who thinks there is scope to get better is somehow an inferior fan to you. It''s frankly a little sad, and more than a little childish.

So Nutty, do you think there is room for improvement in our Everton performance, or do you think we''ve peaked already?

[quote user="Indy"]

The difference from last year is very clear to see.......same tactics will work as we have a far better standard of player and add pace to that and Hughton''s tatics won''t be looked on as negative.

Everton are a very good side for the time being, come September they might just be far worse given that Fellini & Baines might not be there, but top 10 side easy.

With Bassong back, Snodders on the right, Fer in the middle and potentially Hooper playing off of RVW in the link up role the side looks very strong. I mean we are talking about who you drop after a very good start!

This is the best squad we have ever had, pace, guile, option on the bench to change the style and two strikers who are natural goal scorers and proven at high level (Champions League).

4-2-2-1-1 style that Hughtons playes (4 defenders, 2 holding players, 2 wingers, 1 link up player and 1 attacker in my view) is a style a lot of premiership teams play, Man United, Arsenal to name a couple and they score bags of goals.

This will be a good season and another we will build on.

[/quote]

Thanks Indy, you are one of the posters like to follow as you put your opinions with supporting evidence and without the need to have a dig at others who disagree.

There''s a great bunch of posters on this board, yourself, Lavanche, Priceyrite, Styg, and a few others who like to debate tactics and footballers without getting aggressive or childish. Others could learn from your example.

I agree with that Indy, You didn''t mention Olsson but what I saw of him preseason I think he could also have a big influence this season. He was excellent against Real Sociad showing real pace down the left and able to get in good crosses from tight positions, add that to Redmonds skills and his willingness to take players on we have a group who can frighten any defence. We really lacked that bit of quality in the team last season, a player that could really make a difference on his own, we have that now and I am really looking forward to what we can produce.

Any team missing 4-5 first choice players and who can''t score will struggle in this league. I do believe looking at other teams that Hughton has managed we have yet to see fully his vision for this club and preferred style of play actually on the pitch. Do you remenber when top sides would come to Carrow Road and we would outplay them and yet they always seemed to leave with the points. We have needed to be street wise on the pitch, flair and entertainment has for a while taken the back seat. This season'' if we can avoid injuries we will have Hughton''s vision becoming a reality. I''m really looking forward to the next part of our journey.

H

Yep Vanwink, I had forgot about Olsson, another player who will be pushing Garrido for a starting place and can play on the left wing too! great options and what an injection of pace we now have too! Bennett, Redmond and Olsson!

Really looking forward to the Hull game, I think that one will show the full strength of playing this style with pace on the flanks.

Great time to be a City supporter and must admit to having a little peak on TWTD, now even some of the more intelligent Ippo suppoerters are coming round to what a great set up and team we have this season. Funny that in five seasons we have moved so far away from them that you nearly feel sorry for the poor little club south of our mighty City.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

People like to analyse our performances, that includes what we did well (tried to play the ball from the back, quicker breaks, full backs pushing on, pace back in the side, looked solid for the most part) and also areas where there is room for improvement (sat a little deep, ball retention wasn''t great, didn''t get the ball to Ricky anywhere near enough). It doesn''t mean there are rumblings of discontent or people are being negative, people are just discussing the game. I haven''t seen anyone completely slating our performance, or saying we were faultless, on the whole the analysis of the game has been pretty well balanced in my opinion.

You seem to have this view that everyone should think that we''re basically Barcelona, and that anyone who thinks there is scope to get better is somehow an inferior fan to you. It''s frankly a little sad, and more than a little childish.

So Nutty, do you think there is room for improvement in our Everton performance, or do you think we''ve peaked already?

[/quote]

Mornin'' Brownie! That''s quite a tirade and a tad personal, did the cat pee in your cornflakes?

The rumblings of discontent I was referring to were not posters analysing our performance. They were posters with an agenda against Hughton carried over from last season.

Specifically comments like "It''s a replay of last season", "so far no lessons learnt", "same old negative football", "same old negative subs" "It will be interesting if we retain the Barcelona as opposition approach at Hull next week" "Bassong will no doubt be in for him. Will hughton dare play an attacking full back when he could have the more conservative Martin?"

Would you describe those comments and others like them as rumblings of discontent carried over from last season? Or would you say they were "analyse our performances, that includes what we did well (tried to play the ball from the back, quicker breaks, full backs pushing on, pace back in the side, looked solid for the most part) and also areas where there is room for improvement (sat a little deep, ball retention wasn''t great, didn''t get the ball to Ricky anywhere near enough)"

Too much personal aggression from some posters on here. It''s poor debating skills Brownie...

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

Mornin'' Brownie! That''s quite a tirade and a tad personal, did the cat pee in your cornflakes?

The rumblings of discontent I was referring to were not posters analysing our performance. They were posters with an agenda against Hughton carried over from last season.

Specifically comments like "It''s a replay of last season", "so far no lessons learnt", "same old negative football", "same old negative subs" "It will be interesting if we retain the Barcelona as opposition approach at Hull next week" "Bassong will no doubt be in for him. Will hughton dare play an attacking full back when he could have the more conservative Martin?"

Would you describe those comments and others like them as rumblings of discontent carried over from last season? Or would you say they were "analyse our performances, that includes what we did well (tried to play the ball from the back, quicker breaks, full backs pushing on, pace back in the side, looked solid for the most part) and also areas where there is room for improvement (sat a little deep, ball retention wasn''t great, didn''t get the ball to Ricky anywhere near enough)"

Too much personal aggression from some posters on here. It''s poor debating skills Brownie...

[/quote]

And it''s also predictable that the same old poster look for these negative to start the thread on! Same old same old, each season!

Maybe instead of attacking people for having this negative view, from a point of view I can see where these people are comming from as we did sit deep in the match and it could be argued that we did lack support to RVW.

But I see it more about not losing to a very strong Everton side and to see that the level of player we have brought in is far better than we have lost thus far!

Exciting times.

my opinion of Hughton hasn''t changed.

still the man for the job, still a better manager than Lambert, and will bring success (and a Trophy!) before long

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And it''s also predictable that the same old poster look for these negative to start the thread on! Same old same old, each season!

Maybe instead of attacking people for having this negative view, from a point of view I can see where these people are comming from as we did sit deep in the match and it could be argued that we did lack support to RVW.

But I see it more about not losing to a very strong Everton side and to see that the level of player we have brought in is far better than we have lost thus far!

Exciting times.

[/quote]

But can you not see the negatives you have listed there Nutty that others see? I can, I can understand their frustrations and each person has a different point ov iew and the way they post it. doesn''t mean it''s wrong! I don''t want to watch the football we were dished up after Christmas last year! and I hope that the players we have now will show more attacking strength and push us up that table.

I believe that this is the right style from my point of view, I think Hughton has it spot on with the players he has in too.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Personal? You make things personal by telling other you posters that you are a better supporter than they are. If you don''t like being called out on it, it might be an idea to dial back the arrogance and climb down from the soap box.

CUSDP explained to you numerous times last night how his comments were intended, but you decided that you would continue to interperet them in a different manner to which they were intended, despite clarification on numerous occasions. I don''t think anyone has this "agenda" that you speak of, concerns about our form from the 2nd half of last season carrying over into this one yes (and not without cause), but a specific agenda against Hughton certainly not, I think everyone wants him to succeed but I guess you''ll just see whatever you want to see eh?

Your quoting of my paragraph about the positives and negatives or Saturday''s performance makes absolutely no sense, what is your point?

Try taking note of what other posters have said, stop looking for a subtext that isn''t there and have a go at answering some of the points/questions posed by other other posters, otherwise it''s just poor debating skills Nutty...

I think it is very difficult to operate under a "Pol Pot Year 0" mentality. You will always have fans who are unhappy with something, it is human nature to be irrational about things, I have to be honest and say I am not a big fan of defensive football but I am happy to sacrifice my beliefs of open, free flowing football on the altar of conitued participation in the EPL...... 

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

Personal? You make things personal by telling other you posters that you are a better supporter than they are. If you don''t like being called out on it, it might be an idea to dial back the arrogance and climb down from the soap box.

CUSDP explained to you numerous times last night how his comments were intended, but you decided that you would continue to interperet them in a different manner to which they were intended, despite clarification on numerous occasions. I don''t think anyone has this "agenda" that you speak of, concerns about our form from the 2nd half of last season carrying over into this one yes (and not without cause), but a specific agenda against Hughton certainly not, I think everyone wants him to succeed but I guess you''ll just see whatever you want to see eh?

Your quoting of my paragraph about the positives and negatives or Saturday''s performance makes absolutely no sense, what is your point?

Try taking note of what other posters have said, stop looking for a subtext that isn''t there and have a go at answering some of the points/questions posed by other other posters, otherwise it''s just poor debating skills Nutty...

[/quote]

Dear oh dear! Another tirade of angst. If you''re feeling unloved then there really is no need. You are one of my favourite spectators that posts on here. But I''m afraid you''re wrong about CUSDP. He has yet to explain why, when Whittaker was in possession of the right back shirt, Martin had to wait for an injury to get back in. He wasn''t preferred. Yes, when they were both fit subsequently Martin kept the shirt but for that to be relevant you or Danny will have to give a reason for Martin to have been dropped. I can''t remember one. So we shall see at Hull. If Martin replaces Whittaker I shall apologise to Danny and buy him a pint as promised. But if Whittaker keeps his place maybe you''d like to take over the reluctant CUSDP bar tab. It''s only a coke after all.

So you see I did take notice of what was posted. But as I pointed out several times last night it wasn''t a true reflection of what happened.

Now wouldn''t you say that those comments, taken directly from this site over the past few days, are rumblings of discontent carried over from last season?

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exciting times.

[/quote]

But can you not see the negatives you have listed there Nutty that others see? I can, I can understand their frustrations and each person has a different point ov iew and the way they post it. doesn''t mean it''s wrong! I don''t want to watch the football we were dished up after Christmas last year! and I hope that the players we have now will show more attacking strength and push us up that table.

I believe that this is the right style from my point of view, I think Hughton has it spot on with the players he has in too.

[/quote]

Two goes Indy! Sorry I wasn''t about. Which one would you like me to reply to? I''ll choose the second one.

No, I don''t see the negatives listed there and I also can''t see the relevance of taking the season in divided parts. (Before Christmas / after Christmas etc.) The league table doesn''t lie. We finished 11th and won 44 points from our 38 games. Does it really matter what month we won those points or what teams we won them from?

You also say you "don''t want to watch the football we were dished up after Christmas last year". Yet this run of games included the home games against Man.C., Everton, Swansea, Reading, Villa and WBA along with the away games at Sunderland, Arsenal and Manchester City. Now I can''t speak for you but when I think of the dross I''ve seen in sooo many seasons since the 60s those games were not too shabby. But each to their own.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

I think it is very difficult to operate under a "Pol Pot Year 0" mentality. You will always have fans who are unhappy with something, it is human nature to be irrational about things, I have to be honest and say I am not a big fan of defensive football but I am happy to sacrifice my beliefs of open, free flowing football on the altar of conitued participation in the EPL...... 

[/quote]

That''s the lure of the prem for you SOB. To be honest mate I don''t think Hughton is going to change too much. I do think he''s bought well which should give us more of a cutting edge. But we''re never going to go up and at ''em under Hughton in this league.

The last I''m saying on the matter.

Whittaker got the shirt as Martin was injured. Martin returned because turner was injured. Turner then replaced Martin, who then replaced Whittaker a game later, thru injury.

Martin was clearly lacking match fitness after a lay out. The same reason he later kept out Whittaker, a run that saw "favoured" Whittaker behind Martin, on the bench for 8 games.

It''s black and white. When both fit, Martin had possession more.

Personally I think Martin, the club captain, mr consistent and steady will keep his place in the team. Whittaker and olsson for that matter, IMO are more likely to play at home due to their attacking style that hughton may see as a weakness away.

This really is the end of it on my part.

But like brownstone says, we never see your opinion, it''s always getting others to justify there''s!

Over and out.

I thought I had given my opinion. I believe Whittaker will keep his place because that''s what Hughton did last season. You believe he won''t. That''s fine. If I''m wrong I''ve promised you a pint. If I''m right...

Well you just took your ball home anyway[:''(]

It doesn''t bother me so much SOB. It was something I picked up on here so I posted about it. It seems to have rattled a few others mind[;)]

WTF is up with some of you lot?Here we are playing in the top league against world famous teams and at the very least holding our own. The club is out of debt and spending unheard of sums on new players. The debt has been cleared and the financial parsimony that has bugged this club down the decades is nothing but a bad dream and yet the usual suspects still can''t help carping from the sidelines.Jesus H Christ! don''t you realise that you''ve never had it as good as this? You should be thankful that you are living through such times as these. For my Grandad it was Southern League and 3rd Division South. For my Father it was 3rd Division and a bit of Division 2 and for me it has been 8 promotions, 6 relegation''s and twice nearly losing my club to bankruptcy.The bad times may return one day because nothing is forever and then where will the moaners be? Not at Carrow Road I''ll warrant. Dear oh dear, these are dream times to be a Norwich City Supporter so enjoy them while they last.YOU''VE NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD.

At the end of the day, despite all the millions spent, we''re only one point better off than this time last season.  Is that really progress?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]At the end of the day, despite all the millions spent, we''re only one point better off than this time last season.  Is that really progress?[/quote]Yeah, but look at the goal difference[;)]

[quote user="ricardo"] and at the very least holding our own. [/quote]

I think that maybe the problem with many posting on this threadfar too frequently as well I should imagine

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="ricardo"] and at the very least holding our own. [/quote]

I think that maybe the problem with many posting on this threadfar too frequently as well I should imagine

[/quote]Spot on C1.We could win the FA Cup, The World Cup and the Holy Grail all in the same year and still some wouldn''t be happy.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Dear oh dear! Another tirade of angst. If you''re feeling unloved then there really is no need. You are one of my favourite spectators that posts on here. But I''m afraid you''re wrong about CUSDP. He has yet to explain why, when Whittaker was in possession of the right back shirt, Martin had to wait for an injury to get back in. He wasn''t preferred. Yes, when they were both fit subsequently Martin kept the shirt but for that to be relevant you or Danny will have to give a reason for Martin to have been dropped. I can''t remember one. So we shall see at Hull. If Martin replaces Whittaker I shall apologise to Danny and buy him a pint as promised. But if Whittaker keeps his place maybe you''d like to take over the reluctant CUSDP bar tab. It''s only a coke after all.

So you see I did take notice of what was posted. But as I pointed out several times last night it wasn''t a true reflection of what happened.

Now wouldn''t you say that those comments, taken directly from this site over the past few days, are rumblings of discontent carried over from last season?

[/quote]

You haven''t taken notice of what was posted though have you Nutty, you''ve incorrectly interpreted his opinion on Hughton''s likely team selection away at Hull as an anti-Hughton agenda or a rumbling of discontent, when in fact he''s pointed out to you that he is fully behind Hughton and he''s based his opinion on events that happened last season, events which you interpret differently, that''s your opinion. So no, I wouldn''t say they are rumblings of discontent, but that''s my opinion. You also haven''t answered the question I asked you....

And please drop you little spectator jibes, as pointed out previously it''s rather childish and pathetic, not to mention completely inaccurate. If you''d like to see if I support or spectate you''re more than welcome to come and stand beside me for the Southampton game, I''ll even buy you a coke at half time regardless of whether Whittaker or Martin is playing at RB.

Ricardo - I have not supported Norwich City as long as you, but I have supported them for 37 years and my experience is that there have always been those individuals that love to have a whinge and a moan, no matter what, The main difference is that most of the whining is anonymous, via the web, in my day it was a face to face debate over a pint or six....

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

You haven''t taken notice of what was posted though have you Nutty, you''ve incorrectly interpreted his opinion on Hughton''s likely team selection away at Hull as an anti-Hughton agenda or a rumbling of discontent, when in fact he''s pointed out to you that he is fully behind Hughton and he''s based his opinion on events that happened last season, events which you interpret differently, that''s your opinion. So no, I wouldn''t say they are rumblings of discontent, but that''s my opinion. You also haven''t answered the question I asked you....

And please drop you little spectator jibes, as pointed out previously it''s rather childish and pathetic, not to mention completely inaccurate. If you''d like to see if I support or spectate you''re more than welcome to come and stand beside me for the Southampton game, I''ll even buy you a coke at half time regardless of whether Whittaker or Martin is playing at RB.

[/quote]

Brownie! Now you''re talking!! That Danny wouldn''t have anything to do with buying me a coke[:''(]

Can''t take you up on your kind offer because I''m not allowed out of the blankets. Will be in the Nelson later though[B][Y]

I have taken notice of what everyone posted and answered each and every one of you. Nobody yet has come up with a reason why Martin should have been dropped to play Whittaker and not surprisingly nobody has addressed my comments about the games post Christmas. It''s not debate you want is it? You want to be right. Well just stating something doesn''t mean it''s right but it does open up a debate if you''re up to it.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="City1st"][quote user="ricardo"] and at the very least holding our own. [/quote]

[/quote]Spot on C1.We could win the FA Cup, The World Cup and the Holy Grail all in the same year and still some wouldn''t be happy.[/quote]I think that mentality is best summed up by the old boy near me just after we had scored at home to Man U last seasonOnce the noise had settled down I could hear him say" thass it, now we ha dunnit, jus you wait and see what happens now ............. go wan, jus you wait"

Hughton doesn''t like to change a settled team, when Whittaker got his chance after Martin''s injury Hughton was happy to keep him there- even when Martin got back up to speed. Whittaker then got injured, Martin came back and was consistent enough for Hughton to give him a run of games.

I wouldn''t say either got dropped as such, just sidelined.

He did the same thing with Tettey when he was injured, how many weeks did he go being match fit before we saw him play a significant role again?