Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Rumblings of discontent..

We are one game into the season, a respectable 2-2 draw against a top 6 team, and yet many of the rumblings of discontent about our manager and style of play have already resurfaced again from last season. It seems Hughton is his own man and shows no sign of bowing to this pressure so it looks like we''re in for another bitter season on here.

I wonder how it will all pan out...

It''s good to see people expressing opinions both positive and negative about our performance.

You said I had a dig at Hughton. I''m fully behind him. ,maybe it''s how your translating it.

Personally it''s refreshing that so many we''ll balanced discussions are taking place.

We all see the game differently. That''s the beauty of football.

Indeed it is Winky[Y] If only you were one of them......

However my point is that these rumblings of discontent are resurfacing as if this was the 39th game of last season rather than the 1st of this.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]You said I had a dig at Hughton. I''m fully behind him. ,maybe it''s how your translating it. Personally it''s refreshing that so many we''ll balanced discussions are taking place. We all see the game differently. That''s the beauty of football.[/quote]

You did have a dig at Hughton, then you quoted last season to some how back it up.

It''s fine not to like the manager or tactics but we can''t change it. So a clean slate for this season would at least give us half a chance of getting a united front.

Nige don''t tell me what I said.

It was a prediction of what type of player he will play in an away game.

I backed up my point with stats from last year.

I am fully behind our manager after a very exciting summer.

Do you think that people who lost faith in Hughton last season now all of a sudden will have changed their opinions? What''s your view Nigel?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Bassong will no doubt be in for him. Will hughton dare play an attacking full back when he could have the more conservative Martin?[/quote]

My view is that they won''t Winky. My view is that they are going into this season with an agenda from last. What''s your view?

How is it a dig? It''s a fact that we have two contrasting styles of full back.

I''m guessing the word "dare" pops up at you. Will he give Whittaker the licence or go with the 7/10 every week, steady Russell Martin.

It''s not discontent. Purely a look at what options he has an what he may do.

I bet 90% of this MSG board don''t translate it as discontent.

There are those who will carry on this season with exactly the same view as they had last. There will be others like myself who are happy with the signings we have made and expect us to play a more balanced style of football this season with the new personnel, and will form a view as the season progresses.

I just read the thread on pressing which I thought was a really good debate (before being derailed with a load of cr@p) I also haven''t commented on the feeding on scraps post yet but it is a telling point how little both Wes and RVW saw of the ball.

If were not meant to debate football on here what''s the point?

Wheres the "discontent" in debating tactics?

I think it will just take a long time for them to warm to Hughton again. We''ve seen it many times in recent years with the likes of Russell Martin, Ruddy and Turner last year. Once someone has a black mark against them it seems to take a while to shift it.

"chrisr1606"

I think it will just take a long time for them to warm to Hughton again. We''ve seen it many times in recent years with the likes of Russell Martin, Ruddy and Turner last year. Once someone has a black mark against them it seems to take a while to shift it.

Aye. It''s going to take another long unbeaten streak. But even then it''s going to be hard to change minds.

My thoughts on saturday''s result is quite simple. A 2-2 draw at home to a side who have consistently finished in the top 7 for the last 10 years when you have 5 key players out is a very good result. It was the equivalent of Swansea getting that result without Ashley Williams, De Guzman, Dyer, Hernandez & Michu!

Ok we could have played better but we dug out a good point. As the injured players get back we will hopefully see what we can do.

As for Hughton, I suspect he will always be a more defensive minded coach who at 2-2 with 5 mins to go will be happy with a point & we will have to learn to except this. His signings this summer & some of his press comments (such as saying Johnson needs to score more) do point to a possible change in direction. I don''t think we can judge anything with certainty off the back of 1 game.

Lord knows I have tried to stay positive, but facts are facts. We are only one place above Crystal Place, who are by common consent the worst team ever to be promoted to the top flight of any league anywhere in the world.

Cusdp your going to get a scolding from the chosen one if you keep this up!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Completely agree Evesham.

Do u think all 5 would''ve started tho?[/quote]

No but 4 would have & we would have options on the bench to really change the game - Hooper, Redmond & Wes. I think Pilks would have started. You could even say that we were missing Olsson who also appears to be being eased back after his injury last year.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Hahaha van wink. I''m trying to be constructive, far from negative at the moment. But if people want to imagine that something is there then let them.[/quote]

Do you know Danny, I never thought you were childish before[:''(]

What was constructive about your Whittaker comment?

We''ve had a few pages already.

Martin 8-2 Whittaker when both fit. End of.

Look, I''m telling you I''m behind hughton so just believe it. Ask your lad , I told him the same after the game and was happy with the game.

We''ve had a few pages already. Zzzzzzzzz

Martin 8-2 Whittaker when both fit. End of.

Look, I''m telling you I''m behind hughton so just believe it. Ask your lad , I told him the same after the game and was happy with the game.

I must have missed that post then CUSDP. I just saw the one about Hughton going to drop Whittaker and the thread about us not pressing. Sorry bud, I''ll go find the positive ones.....

Now are we on for that pint or is it a one way deal[{][B][:''(][}]

Hughton should be judged when we have our first team available! Saturday was a decent result in the circumstances...we have to accept our style is less cavalier than two seasons ago.

The difference from last year is very clear to see.......same tactics will work as we have a far better standard of player and add pace to that and Hughton''s tatics won''t be looked on as negative.

Everton are a very good side for the time being, come September they might just be far worse given that Fellini & Baines might not be there, but top 10 side easy.

With Bassong back, Snodders on the right, Fer in the middle and potentially Hooper playing off of RVW in the link up role the side looks very strong. I mean we are talking about who you drop after a very good start!

This is the best squad we have ever had, pace, guile, option on the bench to change the style and two strikers who are natural goal scorers and proven at high level (Champions League).

4-2-2-1-1 style that Hughtons playes (4 defenders, 2 holding players, 2 wingers, 1 link up player and 1 attacker in my view) is a style a lot of premiership teams play, Man United, Arsenal to name a couple and they score bags of goals.

This will be a good season and another we will build on.

No problems from me about Hooton, least of all our style in the first game.

Playing Redmond was a bold move when Hooton could easily have gone for the safer option of the more defensive Olsson.

Really looking forward to seeing Leroy unleashed on Saturday.

Regime change is not a result of wondering whether the team could press higher up the pitch or wondering how good ricky could be if we had a centre midfield that had the basic tekker of being able to pass to a team mate so he could touch the ball more that 12 times a game.  

Any rational person would find possession below 40% at home and the two worst cm at passing in the league a cause for concern - esp as that is a continuation of a theme over two seasons now.

The result was fine,  the pace added was great and we have great depth of squad on the flanks now.  

This is nothing more than a post match discussion down the pub.