Sign in to follow this  
Gaz06

Ayala to join Middlesborough on loan

Tweet from Sky Sports Journalist ..

Graeme Bailey ‏@GraemeBailey 1m

Middlesbrough make progress in their hunt for defensive cover as Norwich agree to loan Daniel Ayala, good cover and will give options.

loan, can be made permanment in january for undisclosed fee. just fox, butterfield and becchio to go now. on loan or full time

I would be pretty happy with this, good deal for all concerned.Not so sure my Middlesboro supporting mates will be though lol.

Also makes a sort of sense that him and Becchio are both Spanish speaking? Maybe I''m looking at this too much. But indicates again we want a top defender in too.

Good for ayala. hoping it means moves for another cb are advanced :-)

If we require 4 centre backs at the club, maybe Russell Martin is now being regarded as a permanent centre back , so its actually cover for Whittaker at right back we require?

surely we cant let a transfer window pass without signing a Leeds player?.....come on down Sam Byram!!

No more Leeds players, please. We should have kept the receipt for some of the ones we have already.

Hope Ayala earns himself a permanent move. We do need another centre back though. Ideally one of real quality to partner Bassong, rather than just backup.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]No more Leeds players, please. We should have kept the receipt for some of the ones we have already.

[/quote]

Hasn''t really worked out with Becchio but Johnson, Snodgrass and Howson have all been excellent signings.

Perhaps I am in the minority but I would much rather us sign a new centre back than right back.

I am very comfortable with Martin or Whittaker at right back but I just dont have the same confidence in Martin performing to the same level in the middle.   He provides great flexibility and gives great service when called upon but the level of defending from Turner and Bassong to me at least is at another level in the middle?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Perhaps I am in the minority but I would much rather us sign a new centre back than right back.

I am very comfortable with Martin or Whittaker at right back but I just dont have the same confidence in Martin performing to the same level in the middle.   He provides great flexibility and gives great service when called upon but the level of defending from Turner and Bassong to me at least is at another level in the middle?[/quote]

Martin made some man of the match performances at centre back in the first season in the premiership after De Laet, Barnett, Ward and Whitbread all came in and made mistakes.   I think he is capable of stepping in to that role, whenever required.     Hughton tends to keep players who are in possession of the shirt - rewarding them for good performances.  It wouldn''t surprise me if he and Turner kept Bassong out of the team - but only if he and Turner keep playing well.     Another good performance at  Hull and who knows?

I agree ZLF. Martin''s goal line clearances and last ditch blocks are eye catching but that doesn''t necessarily make him a great centreback.