Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Interview with Elmander in Expressen/Se

Interesting that Elmander says he would have gotten game time at Galatasary but not as much as he would have wanted. I wonder how much game time he''s been offered with us?

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]I see nothing about playing in Midfield ?[/quote]

That link isn''t to the full interview, which is qute long. There is this bit:Are you open to playing on the wing here in Norwich as well, given that his coach Chris Hughton plays 4-2-3-1?"Yes, absolutely. I have played on the wing before [Bolton] and also in midfield in certain matches."

'' "Are you open to playing on the wing here in Norwich as well, given that his coach Chris Hughton plays 4-2-3-1?"Yes, absolutely. I have played on the wing before [Bolton] and also in midfield in certain matches." ''

Good news that he''s still willing to play those roles.

It''s been mentioned before on here by me and at least one other that for the first half of the Real Sociedad game, Fer played second striker and won a lot of headed flickons.  This obviously plays to Ricky''s strengths because he can look to win the flick on and run at goal.   You can''t easily play that way with Wes there but Elmander would be ideal.

We all want the Wolf to be fed and this is a clear option for that to happen.

Very good question, Canary on the Wire.

It''s certainly handy that he would be willing to do so. He''s probably slightly slower than when he played on the wing for Bolton, but Snodgrass is not exactly quick.

I guess Redmond will play right wing on Saturday if Snodgrass is unfit, with Olsson to come in on the left wing.

"It''s certainly handy that he would be willing to do so". I.e. play on the wing.

He''s indicated in interview over the last day that he''s willing to play both on the wing and as an attacking midfielder.

Might just be serendipity, or could be astute forward planning by Hughton. Tough to tell at this point.

Well this clears up the questions about where he can play. The correct (non google) translation is "Yes, absolutely. I have played on the wing before, also for Bolton I played in midfield in some games"

This is a really good interview. Thanks for the link. He certainly seems to say the right things. Respect for the manager and what the club are trying to build. Good to see Olsson telling him good things already too.

I should point out that it doesn''t mean he played on the wing for Bolton. He didn''t in fact. They had Gardner, Petrov, Taylor, Lee Chung-Yong and Mustapha all playing during his time there. He did however, drop in to midfield in the games they played 4-5-1 but mostly played as an out and out striker alongside Kevin Davies and/or Ivan Klasnic. I expect he played on the wing occasionally in his early career. It''s nice to see he is willing to play wherever though. I think we should expect to see him through the middle behind RVW/Hoops or upfront alongside on of them them.

Elmander''s English is very good, and his recollection of having played on the wing for Bolton a number of times is entirely accurate.

"Bolton boss Owen Coyle has played Elmander on the wing for the past few games as in-form Daniel Sturridge and Ivan Klasnic are scoring through the middle." (Mirror Article from March 2011)

I''ve also read comments by Swedes confirming that he played on the wing for Bolton. He may of course have been hopeless in that postition for all I know.

He also played regularly as an attacking midfielder for Brøndby many years ago, where he essentially made his name, and can''t have been hopeless in that position as he was voted Player of the Year in a Danish Double-winning side.

It does show how adaptable some players are - and show how looking at his stats as purely a ''goals per game'' thing (which sadly some go on at the expense of anything else) entirely misses the point.

Indeed, Branston. And in his previous 2 seasons at Bolton Elmander had a very poor scoring record but apparently didn''t hit it off fantastically with Megson.

Bit like Holty''s effort of 1 goal every 5 games when played on the wing under Calderwood.

Context is everything.

I introduced myself to Johan Elmander this afternoon while he was waiting in our showroom to pick a new car.I welcomed him to Norwich and wished him well at the club, also asked him to ''knock in a few goals'' as well.He seemed a very nice, intelligent guy who said ''I can''t wait to get started for the club''.Seemed to be in good shape so appears to be no worries over fitness etc.(name dropping over for today)OTBC