Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Borough Bid for Becchio

According to the Mirror Borough are to bid in the region of £1.8 m for Becchio. I am not sure what has happened with this guy, we have hardly seen him and he has not really been given a chance. I can only assume that we were so desperate to get an unhappy Morisson out of the club, he seemed the best deal at the time, with the hooper bid not going through. If this was the case then £1.8m is a decent fee

A panic buy that should never have happened.

I don''t agree. It was a calculated risk but not a panic buy.

We had an opportunity to resolve the Morison problem and to replace him like for like with someone who wanted to be here and might make the step up. That it hasn''t worked out does not mean that it was not a decent idea at the time.

Spot on, Cambridge, no gamble at all replacing a wantaway striker out of form with a guy of similar quality who was in-form, and cost us very little.

A shame it hasn''t worked out, but if the reported fee is anywhere near £1.8million then i''d bite their hands off IF we have a potential replacement lined up.

Couldn''t agree more, Cambridge.

It is a shame that it didn''t work out better, but Becchio hasn''t let us down. He''s worked hard, got some game time and made a contribution. He''s a good Championship striker and a really lovely bloke, so I wish him the best. Borough will be getting a good player who''ll make a big contribution to a successful season.

This, and the Ayala loan to Borough (they obviously really like our players), confirms to me that we will be bringing in another forward and a defender. Have an idea who the forward we have in mind is, but no idea about the defender.

Interesting times.

That Morison/Becchio swap didn''t really work out for anyone, did it. Apart from the agents and the player''s bank balances, of course.

Be happy to see Becchio go if it means we get a player who can actually contribute. All paper talk for now though.

MC, who do you think the forward is going to be? I''d prefer a younger player who may develop seeing as he will be our 4th choice striker. James Vaughan, Simeon Jackson or Chris Martin would have been fine for that spot in my opinion.

Problem being Martin Vaughan and Jackson were not fine with the 4th spot and rightly so really. I think becchio will be gone this window,

[quote user="ncfc4eva"]Problem being Martin Vaughan and Jackson were not fine with the 4th spot and rightly so really. I think becchio will be gone this window,[/quote]

That is the crux of the problem, no player worth having is going to be happy with 4th spot.

I really don''t think Norwich need 4 strikers - if Becchio goes I''d be happy if no out-and-out striker comes in. Norwich are lacking a creative player though, someone to make things happen in the final third and someone who can shoot from distance would be brilliant.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I posted this on a thread about 2 weeks ago.[/quote]

And you also ''bumped'' the Quagliarella thread for absolutely no apparent reason and never answered one of the many posters who asked why you''d done it. Therefore can I ask, at the time, were you fed information that we were about to sign him Danny? Or is it still possibly on? Cheers

grdean: I can absolutely see where you''re coming from and the thought crossed my mind. With Elmhander the steady experienced elder statesman, effectively it makes room for a bit of a wild card. Maybe a younger player that, whilst very talented, would be a bit of a risk to rely on him too much too soon. A Vaclav Kadlec sprang to mind (though, if it happens, I don''t think it''ll be him).

Alternatively, we could already know who the target is - probably Quagliarella. If he is, and we manage to pull off that signing, then I''d be very happy.

Concerning what you say about James Vaughan, Simeon Jackson or Chris Martin: I''d urge you to move on. They''re gone. And they''re gone for a reason. We''re moving onwards and upwards here.

Well, I guess if he has Wolf, Hooper and Elmander as his first 3 choices he''s hardly likely to select the 4th choice very often. I suppose he could feel sorry for him and select him for sentimental reasons....

Real competition for places is a real strength. But it means that those at the back of the managers pecking order will have far less opportunities than those at the top. When they get such an opportunity they have to grab it. Make the most of it. Bechio has never done that yet.

This 4th striker position is ideal for blooding one of your own young talents.

In our case Jamar Loza?

He won''t always be on the bench and playing regularly for the reserves.

You won''t get anyone decent to just make up the numbers and act as cover, so why waste good money on average players when young talent is there, ready, willing and a lot cheaper!

Everybody wins and you might just uncover a real gem!

Snake

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

This 4th striker position is ideal for blooding one of your own young talents.

In our case Jamar Loza?

He won''t always be on the bench and playing regularly for the reserves.

You won''t get anyone decent to just make up the numbers and act as cover, so why waste good money on average players when young talent is there, ready, willing and a lot cheaper!

Everybody wins and you might just uncover a real gem!

Snake

[/quote]I agree.Though no doubt some would see it as a cheap cop out.

I agree 4th choice should probably be someone young with a bit of potential. Max Clayton at Crewe fast and pacy, different to what we have or Connor Wickham at Sunderland would be my choices.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We need four strikers the manager is prepared to select but Becchio does not appear to be one of them.[/quote]

I don''t think there is a player who is good enough for Hughton to have faith in, yet also prepared to be 4th choice striker in a team that will often play with only 1 up front.

Bringing in a player who is primarily a striker to sit behind RvW, Hooper and Elmander in the pecking order will just be a waste of a squad place and wages.

Agreed,

why bring someone elses reject in or using another clubs talent on loan to develop.

Use what we already have! This is how we will become a regular Prem Side with depth and good finances.  Youth development mixed with talent and experience.

Snake

We''ve got a great young prospect in Carlton Morris. Still playing for the U18s he scored their 2 goals at the weekend and was promoted to the U21s against Villa on Monday. But all that''s a long way from the EPL. Did anyone see the Villa game? If so how did Morris play, did he handle the step up?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

We''ve got a great young prospect in Carlton Morris. Still playing for the U18s he scored their 2 goals at the weekend and was promoted to the U21s against Villa on Monday. But all that''s a long way from the EPL. Did anyone see the Villa game? If so how did Morris play, did he handle the step up?

[/quote]

Don''t know how he played Nutty, but they lost 1-0. He did score a brace in the first game on Saturday morning though I think. He''s a cracking prospect no doubt, but wouldn''t Loza be likely to get an opportunity before him, he''s scored goals for fun every step of the way too?

There is something around needing enough bodies - we did go 2 up front in several games last season and to do that this we will need another striker.

The issue with last seasons players (Jackson, Vaughan & Martin) was that they were definitely a class below Holt    They were clear number 4s - as Becchio is this season - unless all three striker are injured his only pitch time is likely to be early round cup competitions - on that basis there is no point him being at the squad.

We have a situation were all three current strikers are good enough to be pushing for a starting slot - real competition for places.  There is only any point adding to that witha 4th - Quag would fit that bill just to use a familiar example.

Certainly the need is less urgent this year,  with Redmond, Wes, Bennett and probbaly snoddy and pilks all able to provide a more fluid attacking option if needed.     

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]I really liked the look of Morris when I was going to the cup run games, I think he has the attributes to fit into the first team soon.