Sign in to follow this  
Fer-minator

Online Abuse to be Targeted

Apologies if this has already been mentioned on the forum, to be honest I didnt search.

Interesting to see that the kind of foul abuse that footballers receive on twitter is going to be monitored.

There is a line between banter with players and abuse.

Article link here (If it works) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23796712

If not its on the BBC website

Some people think that abuse is acceptable - because it is impersonal. They think they are safe because they are doing it on a computer or phone or whatever.   On here there is abuse.  Its largely impersonal unless you know the poster in real life, but abuse is cowardly.   It attacks people who are seen as targets for whatever reason - a footballer who has had a bad game.  A kid at school who is a bit different.   A poster on here who has   unorthodox views.    

There are regular stories of people who are abused online or on facebook or twitter,  getting depression and worse.   Sometimes the people doing it don''t realise the effect they are having on their "target".      We  should all be careful what we put write on our keyboards as we can all be hurtful or thoughtless.   Twitter, facebook, forums, are all open to abuse and are only as good as the people that go on them.    

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Have you thought about a career as a vicar? You could sermonise to your heart''s content.[/quote]

Yeah, well, its an idea I suppose.  Only if  him upstairs is a Norwich supporter  though...........

I just would like places like this to be more civilised.  Its ok, I know it isn''t going to happen, but when you have been subject to abuse - you know it - and its no good people going on about "victim" or "whining" or whatever,  because  only person that the abuse is targeted at  gets the full picture.  Onlookers think, yeah,  he''s getting a bit of flack or something, but the personal nature of abuse only hits home to the target concerned. 

There aren''t many on here, but its a pain to deal with and gets in the way of proper discussion.   The ones that are the worst see you as a threat to their cosy existence or status - and because they are so vocal about it, it attracts others in to have a go as well.  A bit like a fight outside a pub. one has a go and the watchers shout encouragment.   If they are really so insecure about their position in life, or even just their position  on this board,  that they have to resort to a kind of bullying approach, then that is their problem.    Same with twitter, or any kind of cyber bullying that goes on.

Sorry if this sounds like another sermon.  Its just the way I am.  [:S]

While I get what you say, you must see that the way you constantly bang on about things irritates some other users of this board.  It''s great that you want to be who you are, express yourself how you see fit etc., but it seems a bit disingenuous to conduct yourself exactly how you like while suggesting how others should moderate their own behaviour.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]While I get what you say, you must see that the way you constantly bang on about things irritates some other users of this board.  It''s great that you want to be who you are, express yourself how you see fit etc., but it seems a bit disingenuous to conduct yourself exactly how you like while suggesting how others should moderate their own behaviour.[/quote]

I do understand and am well aware of it.   I usually bang on when I feel my point is not getting across - usually because threads I start in good faith are derailed with put downs and insults.  Normal discussion/argument are normally no problem.  Its quite difficult to keep your focus on something when every other post is an insult or an attempt to twist what I say - and its usually the same four or five posters that are doing it, over and over again - usually unjustifiably.   I don''t pretend to know everything, but I have opinions about the club and wish to get them across. 

This thread is about abuse and I have no wish to appear a victim - but  I''ve received some  serious abuse on here - not just the odd insult but some very personal stuff.   Ok I can be irritating but then,  can''t we all?

And yet on another thread started by Morty about a ''meet up'' you replied to him telling you to shut up by saying -

No I won''t shut up. You think you are the bees knees on this board whereas in truth you are a self serving arrogant * who likes to laugh at other people''s expense but can''t take a joke when it is directed at him.

My post was supposed to be funny. But then something is only funny if Morty thinks its funny isn''t it?

Silly me.

Couldn''t we all just get a thicker skin when this so called abuse happens? And just say or think, ''I couldn''t give a ****''.
I seriously wonder sometimes if these so called agencies, organisations etc etc are genuinely bothered about whether people get a bit of verbal stick.  Or it''s really about justifying their jobs.
This month I''ve read and heard three completely separate articles saying-
A) Why gay people stay away from football
B) Why women stay away from football
C) Why black people stay away from football.
All say basically it''s because football is a nasty abusive environment where the three above groups will get abused.  Really? Really?  The main reason people stay away from football is cost.  And the people who write such nonsense aren''t old enough to remember the 70s when football really was an excuse for a punch up and verbal abuse was mandatory.

I personally try to avoid getting in to slanging matches (at least online) LDC but you seem to be able to give as well as you get?

[quote user="Rivvo"]And yet on another thread started by Morty about a ''meet up'' you replied to him telling you to shut up by saying -

No I won''t shut up. You think you are the bees knees on this board whereas in truth you are a self serving arrogant * who likes to laugh at other people''s expense but can''t take a joke when it is directed at him.

My post was supposed to be funny. But then something is only funny if Morty thinks its funny isn''t it?

Silly me.[/quote]
There is a grain of fact in that as it goes.  

I''m not taking sides and have no agenda either for or against LDC, I just remembered reading his comments yesterday and thought it was a bit ironic this morning!

[quote user="Rivvo"]I''m not taking sides and have no agenda either for or against LDC, I just remembered reading his comments yesterday and thought it was a bit ironic this morning![/quote]

Ironic or not, it wasn''t just "shut up" though, was it Riwo? I think a  strong response was required to someone who had just been told "Shut up, you dick", to what had been meant to be a slightly mischievious, but light hearted post.  

Unfortunately LDC it''s very difficult to make something light hearted just by typing a response on a message board, there is always the danger that it will be taken in the wrong way, particularly if there is ''history'' between the people involved, perhaps you could just ignore each other?

This forum must be at risk then?

seriously though can anyone tell me why footballers (or any celebrity) should get greater protection than the general public? Surely unacceptable abuse deserves follow up action by the police wherever it happens?

Allegedly all it would take is aquick email from the Saudi arabian monitoring station...

I''d be surprised if the Police had enough resources to investigate the well publicised ones ZLF, never mind every ill considered tweet or comment that gets posted!

[quote user="Herman "]Rise above it!? Or is that too simplistic an option?[/quote]

For me, yes.  I simply don''t see why the same  four or five posters should seek or get away with trying to derail  certain posters (not just me).  Quite a few posters who I used to have regular discussions with are no longer on the board. Why?  Because it becomes so difficult to just have a normal discussion with people.   People just get fed up with it.   The childish behaviour of some spoils it for everyone else. 

I''m no angel, but I will answer back (for better or worse [:S]) in the face of insults and people who choose to twist your words and misrepresent you for their own agenda, but at the end of the day I''m just here to talk about football.   I may have to wait a long time, but maybe they''ll get the message one day.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]This forum must be at risk then? seriously though can anyone tell me why footballers (or any celebrity) should get greater protection than the general public? Surely unacceptable abuse deserves follow up action by the police wherever it happens? Allegedly all it would take is aquick email from the Saudi arabian monitoring station...[/quote]

They shouldn''t but they do. Just the same as when they break the law. If an ordinary person speeds over 100mph it''s a generally a ban but celebs often only get hit with a fine which they can readily afford.

agreed rivvo, stretched enough as it is - but if its to monitored to what purpose if not to take some action??