Sign in to follow this  
andy schmitz

Two Things I Would Like to See Next Year

Two Things I Would Like to See Next Year:

1) An understanding by the club and from Nigel that youth must be served at this club.  Frankly the academy has not been good enough.  For a club that is not big enough to simply buy players to fill needs the development of youngsters at Norwich is critical.  I don''t think it is asking too much to expect one youngster to come through each year to CONTEND for the first team.  Whoever is scouting these youngsters and developing them has to be taken to task and told their work is simply not good enough.  If they can''t do it get someone who can.  Ipswich and Crewe are 2 examples of fine academy systems.  If they can be successful why not Norwich?  Personally I would be trolling Arsenal and Man u''s youngsters since surely those clubs will rarely have someone break through due to the fact that they can buy ready made players.

2) An understanding by Nigel that we cannot play a 4-4-2 formation with Darren Huckerby in the side.  Don''t get me wrong I want Hucks in my team.  Just not playing left midfield cause he aint a left midfielder.  And sorry folks he aint any good in a free role either behind the front two cause a free role implies you roam both left and right and he wont.  He is a very old fashioned left foward.  FULL STOP.  He is best used with 3 up front.  Therefore the only question is do you play 3 or 4 in midfield?  Based on everything I have read off this board and others I think we should do the following:

Sell: Greeno, Francis, and any others that will fetch a few bob.  This should give us approximately 6-7 million to spend including parachute money left after Ashton buy.  Go with the following formation.

..........................................Lewis.....................................................

.............New.......................Shackell.....................Drury.....................

New..................New.......................Safri.....................Charlton

..................Leon.................Ashton.................Hucks.........

Lewis-Youth be served.  Dont want to hear any rubbish about damaging his confidence.  Part of being a professional athlete is that you have the confidence.  If he aint got it then hes not cut out to be a player.

New right back-1.5-2 million should buy you quality that can step up to the Premier.

New right Mid-DESPERATELY need someone who can make runs and cross.  Right now we are horribly unbalanced in that we are totally left sided in attack.  This player should also be a back tracker to protect the defence.  1.5-2 million should buy you quality.

New center mid-Would 2-2.5 million get you Sidwell?

Charlton-Why not left mid?  Did a great job there against Soton.  Don''t need him to take on fullbacks, Hucks will do that, just protect Drury.

so you suggest:

• the novel idea of two left backs
  • Putting a centre-back with no experience with: no partner + a brand-new keeper + a new right-back

. . .