Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Who makes way for Fer?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Well done with what? Why are you taking that attitude with me? What have I done to offend you?[/quote]Oh get over yourself lol, the post wasn''t aimed at you, it was a general statement that some people here have very set ideas about certain players regardless of the players actual performance on any given day.[/quote]

Lol, I never said the statement was aimed at me. I was making a point to further your statement and was wondering why you responded to that with a strange attitude...

As I''ve said on other threads about the midfield - it''s a squad game and a long season. You''ve got to expect Fer, Hoolahan, Howson, Johnson and Tettey to see a fair amount of playing time each.

Hoolahan didn''t have a particularly good game today and neither did Johnson.

Howson had a very good game (between him and Whittaker for MOTM). Tettey was excellent when he came on (a few people had starting writing him off so there''ll probably be some swift backtracking on that).

Also, what people have to take into account is that Everton are a very good team. Their players are tried and trusted and they''re one of the best sides in the league. The way some people talk it feels a little like they think Fer will come in and all of a sudden we''ll be able run rings around teams like that but I''m not so sure we''ll see the level of improvement some are expecting.

For me it was pleasing because Everton have got some real quality players but they know they''ve been in a game today. Both sides made each other work hard for the point.

Another person saying Howson had a good game.

I know it''s all about opinions, and I really don''t want to be insulting but I cannot believe that. I like Howson, I think he''s a very good midfielder on his day, if he was consistent he''d be in the England squad. But today he was shocking. Every attack he was involved in in the first half stopped with him, and I don''t mean him having a shot or crossing. What summed up his game for me today was when he tried to win a corner off the defender and just gave it too him. That or the feeble attempt of running with the ball when 3 on 2, then 2 mins later passing it too early, although at least that time he did actually manage a pass to a teammate.

Howson has to go. He was absolutely awful today. His work rate when the opposition have the ball is simply pathetic. He doesn''t close down space, harry or tackle. You could forgive this if he did something special when we have the ball but he''s no more than average.

Wes had a poor game but for me howson was worse IMO

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Another person saying Howson had a good game. 

That or the feeble attempt of running with the ball when 3 on 2, then 2 mins later passing it too early, although at least that time he did actually manage a pass to a teammate.[/quote]

Because he did. It was obvious.

Ok, are you talking about when he tried to wait for support from Bennett and the next when he tried to wait for Tettey?

It really really wasn''t obvious. I can''t see a single reason why anyone would say Howson had a good game.

''Tried to wait'' he was there, RVW was always an option the first time, Bennett was steaming up on the other side. Second time Tettey went ahead of him, the pass wasn''t good.

I like Howson, I''m not just saying that to try and make a point, I really do. But today he was very poor and it''s very very frustrating because he''s a very talented player.

Anyway, bit stupid all this focusing on negatives, when Redmond and Bennett were brilliant. We were missing three starters and two other key players who would have been involved if fit.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]It really really wasn''t obvious. I can''t see a single reason why anyone would say Howson had a good game. ''Tried to wait'' he was there, RVW was always an option the first time, Bennett was steaming up on the other side. Second time Tettey went ahead of him, the pass wasn''t good. I like Howson, I''m not just saying that to try and make a point, I really do. But today he was very poor and it''s very very frustrating because he''s a very talented player. Anyway, bit stupid all this focusing on negatives, when Redmond and Bennett were brilliant. We were missing three starters and two other key players who would have been involved if fit.[/quote]

They weren''t "there". He had to wait. There wasn''t really any easy ball on and it''s not easy to run past Distin. He did the right thing. But Everton are allowed to defend and they did that on the first one. Second time it wasn''t quite the perfect ball to Tettey but neither was it terrible. It was those situations where it might look easy from the stands but when you''re on the pitch and you''ve been running your nuts off all game it''s probably harder than people realise.

Redmond and Bennett were alright. Bennett was the better of the two. Redmond got taken off because he kept trying to do too much too near his own goal and was giving the ball away. For all rave reports of Redmond how much did he actually hurt Everton?

If you think Howson was poor and those two were "brilliant" you need to have a rethink.

TBH, any of the three central midfielders that played today could start with Fer next week. Tettey came on and looked impressive, Johnson is a favourite of Hughton and Howson, on his day, is one of the best midfielders at the club. I still think Hoolahan will start against Hull (I don''t think Hughton views Howson as a attacking midfielder, seeing as all his starts have been in a deeper role) or we might sign another attacking midfielder in the week, pushing Wes to the bench. It''s all a little too early to make suggestions that someone needs to go or that the team has moved on. Howson and Johnson worked hard, but passed poor and Wes wasn''t involved enough. Tettey didn''t play a long enough period to get a really good look at him, but played well in his short time. It''s all a bit confusing at the minute.

Badly worded on my part gingerpele, meant that the space on the edge of the box contributed to their two goals which was what Tettey denied them when he came on.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well GjP all I can really say now is I think we were watching different games.[/quote]

Yeah, I watched Norwich vs Everton. What were you watching?   ;-)

Ok, put it this way, you say that Redmond was brilliant. Please tell me what made that a brilliant performance.

I will tomorrow, I don''t have the energy to get into it now. I just want to watch MOTD and go to bed.

But I will say I''m fairly sure Redmond came off because he''s 19 and it was his first Prem game, could have been having the game of his career and still probably would have come off.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I will tomorrow, I don''t have the energy to get into it now. I just want to watch MOTD and go to bed.

But I will say I''m fairly sure Redmond came off because he''s 19 and it was his first Prem game, could have been having the game of his career and still probably would have come off.[/quote]

Probably didn''t help that he was trying to beat 3 or 4 men in his own half and then losing the ball.

Maybe a couple of times...

And maybe if Garido had decided to start playing before the 70th minuite he would have had a bit of help...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Maybe a couple of times... And maybe if Garido had decided to start playing before the 70th minuite he would have had a bit of help...[/quote]

Hughton could have brought Olsson on for Garrido if he wasn''t doing enough. He could have brought Tettey on for Howson if he was that bad.

But he didn''t because Hoolahan wasn''t having a good game and Redmond was starting to try the wrong things in the wrong places. He took off the two weaker links.

(I should add that I do see Redmond as the most exciting prospect Norwich have had for years and years)

I''m not sure what Hughton''s going to decide based on that performance, all three starters were average at best today and personally I think for differing reasons.

Someones already found the stats but for me our two central midfielders passing accuracy in the 60% region tells a story, Wes had some nice touches but not enough of them, as Phillip Fry has pointed out he hardly had the ball in comparison to his usual game and both he and the Wolf looked very isolated at times.

I''m not a massive fan but to be fair Tettey was the pick of the bunch when he came on and I would start him next week based on a very competent cameo. That''s my opinion, I can''t see Hughton dropping BJ personally.

Surely it''s then down to where Hughton sees Fers best position? In the hole or CM. So either Hoolahan or Howson goes based on that, I really can''t personally see how anyone could rate one of them better than the other based on today''s performance, they were both distinctly average.

Oh and I don''t want to be contentious but brilliant would not be the word I would use to describe Redmonds performance. He was exciting, full of ideas, great running and some wonderful passes, I don''t think I''ve been that excited to see a Norwich player with the ball at his feet since Huckerby, but his defensive positioning and tracking was poor. He''s a great exciting talent, but he needs to learn how to defend, then he will be brilliant.

OUr issue was getting teh ball from BJ and howson to the front 4 - they simply didnt do it. The MOT graphic had our possession at under 40% - at home.

Howson was just as poor behind RvW.

Giving the ball away more than 3 passes out of 10 is not good enough.

We need to pass the ball to do well with the strikers we have - how much more evidence do we need after a season and a half that johnson and howson cant pass well enough?

Against Hull I''d welcome Fer & Butterfield in for Hoolahan & Howson.

We''re leaving for Yorkshire tomorrow morning - holidaying up there ready for the game next Saturday...

Fee will play behind RvW most of the time. Wessi is such an important part of the soul of the club though. I''d like to see him get a lot of time this season, but Fer is a better partner for RvW.

I''d like to see a midfield three of Tettey, Fer and Hoolahan at Hull personally.

Don''t think Howson or Johnson did anywhere near enough to keep their places. Although I thought Howson looked better when he was pushed further upfield

4-4-2 with fer and howson in midfield, hooper and RVW up front if fit enough. Thats what i''d like to see us try.

(people who say we tried that last season- we didn''t have Hooper and RVW or the beast that is leroy fer then did we.)

[quote user="mrs miggins"]4-4-2 with fer and howson in midfield, hooper and RVW up front if fit enough. Thats what i''d like to see us try.

(people who say we tried that last season- we didn''t have Hooper and RVW or the beast that is leroy fer then did we.)[/quote]

Yeah we didnt, but that doesnt change a fact that Howson isn''t playmaker and neither is Leroy Fer. If we struggle to make play with 3 middlefielders when there is Hoolahan and Howson on at same time, we will struggle quite much more with Hooper placing other of them.

Ofc we can try and see where it leads us, but I''m quite confident with 4-2-3-1 with Fer and Snoddy comming to strenghten it.

I''m not also so sure that our wingers are at best in 4-4-2. Olsson and Bennett probably would prefer that formation as they are both fast enough and prefer crossing instead of cutting in, but Snoddy and Pilks/Red are different case.

I thought Hoolahan was poor, many believe Howson was.

One solution would be to play Tettey and Johnson together to block the midfield, encourage the fullbacks to push up, and play Fer well up the pitch with RVW.

Any two of Snodgrass, Bennett, Pilkington, Redmond, Olsson to play wide midfield.

Hull don''t seem to play with out and out wingers so I''m not sure how that will effect Hughton''s tactics.

Four of the five midfield players could miss out at Hull.

If Snodgrass is fit he will replace Bennett. Fer will start and if a single defensive midfielder is deemed necessary then that could well be Tettey. Hoolahan could be replaced by Hooper. That could leave us with:

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Turner Garrido

Snodgrass Tettey Fer Redmond

Hooper van Wolfswinkel

Hughton is not restricted this season in the same way as he was last. He has a better quality squad and, I am sure, will not us a rigid 4 5 1 system as season. It will surely depend on the opposition.

Hull are a side that he should want to change his system for.

I feel it will be an interesting team that he puts out.